Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: VirtualBox OSE no USB

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Posts
    124

    Default VirtualBox OSE no USB

    I searched, read the threads etc and still cannot get USB recognized. I do not have a "usbfs" group, but usbfs is mounted.
    In VB OSE I do see my USB devices and have added them but they do not show up on VB.

    TIA.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,733
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: VirtualBox OSE no USB

    I'm not sure OSE supports usb - but there may be way round it

    This info is from VBox:


    • USB on openSUSE: Add the following entry to /etc/fstab: none /proc/bus/usb usbfs auto,busgid=XXX,busmode=0775,devgid=XXX,devmode=0664 0 0
      Replace XXX by the group ID of the group vboxusers. You can determine this value by executing grep vboxusers /etc/group
      Of course, the current user should be member of that group. After the next reboot, there should be a directory /proc/bus/usb/ and the device entries below should be accessible by any user of the vboxusers group.


    • If USB doesn't work, check your usbfs permissions. See "Troubleshooting" -> "Linux hosts" in the User Manual for a solution.

    User_FAQ - VirtualBox
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Posts
    124

    Default Re: VirtualBox OSE no USB

    oops.. not the OSE version, regular VirtualBox.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Posts
    124

    Default Re: VirtualBox OSE no USB

    yea, I tried what the manual said, edited /etc/fstab but that didnt work.. I'd hate to have to use VMWare but its probably guaranteed to work.

  5. #5
    Will Honea NNTP User

    Default Re: VirtualBox OSE no USB

    themagicm wrote:

    >
    > yea, I tried what the manual said, edited /etc/fstab but that didnt
    > work.. I'd hate to have to use VMWare but its probably guaranteed to
    > work.


    It's simpler at this point to get the binary from VirtualBox directly - the
    non-opensource version has no problem with USB. Their web site makes it
    clear that the OSE version does NOT support USB.

    --
    Will Honea

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Posts
    124

    Default Re: VirtualBox OSE no USB

    the thread is mislabeled. ITS NOT THE OSE VERSION LIKE I POSTED EARLIER. sigh.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Posts
    124

    Default Re: VirtualBox OSE no USB

    ok, I fixed it in roundabout way...

    /etc/fstab used to read the below for 'usbfs'

    #usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs devmode=664,devgid=120 0 0
    usbfs /dev/bus/usb usbfs devgid=120,devmode=664 0 0


    commented out first line, added second. reissued mount -a as root and that took care of it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Moses Lake, WA. USA
    Posts
    474

    Default Re: VirtualBox OSE no USB

    themagicm wrote:

    >
    > I searched, read the threads etc and still cannot get USB recognized. I
    > do not have a "usbfs" group, but usbfs is mounted.
    > In VB OSE I do see my USB devices and have added them but they do not
    > show up on VB.
    >
    > TIA.
    >
    >

    OSE version does not support usb. You need to download the SUN version.
    Along as you use it for personal use there is no charge. I have it
    installed on openSUSE 11.0 with WIN XP as the guest. Only two areas I have
    not got working yet. My sound and shared folders but I have not hade time
    to persue the problems yet. I did have to make the changes to to fstab
    mentioned in other answers to this question. The manual on the SUN site
    expains everything.
    --
    Russ
    Linux register user 441463

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Posts
    124

    Default Re: VirtualBox OSE no USB

    Quote Originally Posted by upscope View Post
    themagicm wrote:

    >
    > I searched, read the threads etc and still cannot get USB recognized. I
    > do not have a "usbfs" group, but usbfs is mounted.
    > In VB OSE I do see my USB devices and have added them but they do not
    > show up on VB.
    >
    > TIA.
    >
    >

    OSE version does not support usb. You need to download the SUN version.
    Along as you use it for personal use there is no charge. I have it
    installed on openSUSE 11.0 with WIN XP as the guest. Only two areas I have
    not got working yet. My sound and shared folders but I have not hade time
    to persue the problems yet. I did have to make the changes to to fstab
    mentioned in other answers to this question. The manual on the SUN site
    expains everything.
    --
    Russ
    Linux register user 441463

    I guess nobody reads previous posts...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,127

    Default Re: VirtualBox OSE no USB

    Quote Originally Posted by themagicm View Post
    ok, I fixed it in roundabout way...

    /etc/fstab used to read the below for 'usbfs'

    #usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs devmode=664,devgid=120 0 0
    usbfs /dev/bus/usb usbfs devgid=120,devmode=664 0 0


    commented out first line, added second. reissued mount -a as root and that took care of it.
    I don't understand fstab, so I have to look for a pattern I can match and then adjust. My fstab doesn't look like this. What I have is
    usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs noauto 0 0
    What do I do with that?
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C. Clarke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •