partimage

I have downloaded the latest partimage.

I followed directions to ./configure, make and install (and along the way installed a lot of other stuff to resolve missing libraries etcetera).

I ./configured with prefix of /usr/partimage

Now… how the heck do I run it? I have tried typing partimage as root in a console and nada. I looked in /usr/partimage and don’t see anything that looks like a program name.

Any help appreciated.

Simon

.: He who knows so little is me

if you are going to use partimage, you are better off using the livecd. installing it will probably clash with SuSE’s own partitioner

Andy

Okay, I didn’t know that SuSE had one that did that. What is it called?

I know about the Yast.System.Partitioner but I don’t see any options to select partition and save it’s image to a file.

I have two drives in my system. What I want to do is create a backup of my booting working drive on the second one in case I really screw up one day (likely) and need to get things back to one that I was happy with. I understood that partimage would allow me to do this such that I could reinstall a base openSuSE and then use partimage to redeploy the saved images on the second drive and get back to before I screwed up.

Is this not correct? Does SuSE have this ability built in somewhere?

Thanks,
Simon

.: He who knows little is me.

no, SuSE cannot image a drive, it can only create/delete partitions. installing partimage will cause conflicts with SuSE’s partitioner. Also, when dealing with partitions, it is best if the system isn’t running/mounted ,as it could cause errors in the image,making it useless,therefore,a livecd will not load the system,thus making life a bit easier for imaging.

Andy

Thanks. I will uninstall it and use the live cd.

Simon