KDE4 USB stick file copy corrption

Hi,

I’m having a really bad problem with my KDE4.1 which has never happened to me before.

I plug in a USB memory stick, open in a new windows (Dolphin or Konqueror, doesn’t matter), open another file manager window, select file(s), copy & paste them in the USB - they appear to have been copied. If I pull the stick out and then plug it back in (even in a different computer) - it’s EMPTY! I do it again and again and again, maybe 5 out of 10 times the files get copied and 3 out of these 5 times they will be either corrupt or 0B in size. It happens no matter what action I do after pasting the files (close the window, safely remove, simply unplug the stick or whatever, I tried anything). It’s been happening from the very beginning but now it just gets on my nerves because I can’t live without the USB stick.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas what may be causing this and hopefully how to fix it? (BTW, I’ve done a whole system update incl. KDE yesterday, that is, all the packages are the latest).

Thank you.

Try to mount USB stick with sync option?

With sync option? I read on the net that with sync it takes 10 times longer to copy files. I’ll make 20 trial & error tries by the time they will be copied with sync.

It doesn’t take longer with sync. Asynchronous writing gives the impression of writing faster because it doesn’t actually write everything to disk by the time the progress bar completes. Instead it gets written to a cache first.

I don’t think this is a kde problem. Try manually mounting and unmounting and see what happens.

Here: Question about USB media write mode - openSUSE Forums they talk about how to enable the sync mode in KDE3.5. Do you know how to do that in KDE4.1? Thanks.

Unfortunately we cannot change any settings of KDE4 automounting.
It might be a bug:Bug 161588 – Flash disk mounted with wrong codepage and/or charset
And there’s a patch, which you can try with, on the above page.

I use mount command instead of KDE automounting at the moment.:frowning:

Hi, I am experiencing the same problem on suse 10.2 and haven’t found the proper sulution yet. A possible bypass is to wait a little bit after the popup window appears (cca 10-15 sec) and then selecting open. I worked for me. But still I’m interested if anyone got a better solution. Thanks

Try using the eject command before you remove the stick from the port. I’ve had similar problems in the past and since I’m using that it works all the time. It’s the same as stopping the device within windows.