How to update KDE to 4.1 or is it necessary?

Hi,

I have tried now openSUSE 11.0 but afraid to use new KDE 4.0.
So what would be the best way of using that? Is it working with normal updates, does it update KDE to 4.1 or should I add development repository to update to 4.1 (I tried once but result was broken KDE).
Target would be to have stable KDE 4.x environment.

I am a bit newbie so not too much terminal please :).

Thanks in advance!
Janne

Best and easiest way is to do the 1 click install of kde 4.1 heres the link KDE/KDE4 - openSUSE

Normal updates are working properly.

You can either do the 1 click install like Havoc65 said, or if you have problems with that like some forum users have pointed out, enable the KDE Factory repo in Yast->Software->Addon Products->Community Repos and install KDE 4.1 using the 2 KDE patterns in Yast.

KDE 4.1 is very stable, at least for me, so no worries. Plus the Factory repo has updates every few days with new bug fixes (that stupid Ark bug was fixed finally).

KDE 4.1 will remain Factory until 11.1; so there may be issues which affect some people and not others. It depends on what you want from your desktop.

It certainly isn’t necessary to update for productivity reasons but you can run both KDE3 and KDE4 side by side. However, you cannot run KDE4.0 and KDE4.1 side by side. You either go for KDE4.0 Stable or KDE4.1 Factory both of which are available as 1-click install.

I enable community and “extras” repos for factory, but disable the buildservice, backports and KDE4.0 “Stable” repos. It seems to work to keep the OpenSuse update, oss and non-oss repos as well. Videolan seems to have a conflict with libxine. Packman is okay.

I had a slight problem trying to move the taskbar to the top, but I worked it out. (had to delete it)