Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can not switch off the desktop effect on Suse 11

Default Can not switch off the desktop effect on Suse 11

Hi:

I was playing around with the XGL desktop effects on the SuSE 11. I enabled the effect by Simple Compiz Config Setting Manager found in application/utilities/desktop/Desktop Effects. The decoration seems to block the close, maximize and minimize button on the window title bar. I tried to switch the desktop effects off. Each time it seems to be turned off but comes back on the next logon. Is there any way I can manually switch these effects off like the

gnome-xgl-switch --disable-xgl

would do the trick? Since SUSE 11 gets new way of setting up XGL, I am not sure if I should still use the old way to do it. The GUI suppose to work. Is it a bug?

Default Re: Can not switch off the desktop effect on Suse 11

I used to toggle the XGL using
    1/ xgl-switch --enable/disable-xgl (in console with no graphics)
    2/ In KDE there is an icon called "Desktop effects". It can be found by search in the "Start" menu. You should use it to enable/disable certain visual effects.

In your case that would be first 2/ and then 1/.
    Good luck.
    SDA

Thanks. I tried option 2 many times and not working for me. It the XGL effects just came back by itself.

The option 1 gave me this

Warning! MD5DIR is not set: you probably called this script outside SuSEconfig...!
    Using MD5DIR="/var/adm/SuSEconfig/md5"...
    No changes for /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers
    No changes for /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config

It doesn't seems to be working either

Ok.
    Now, I'm faced with the same error message as sueyentsai. I can't switch off compiz. Any ideas?
    Thanks.
    http://mydailyhash.wordpress.com/
    http://yami.googlecode.com/

tehmasp NNTP User

I just had this problem.
    Enabled XGL on a system w/ a bad video card. All I got was a white screen which I could rotate via the cube plugin. I ran the 'xgl-switch --disable-xgl' command as root and noticied that it still didn't work for my regular user. Ultimately, I deleted the 'compiz' directory under my ~/.config/ directory. That allowed me to get back into gnome as my regular user. I realized that this must have been a problem since I was still able to get into X as root just fine.

in summary,
    try running the 'xgl-switch' command AND delete the 'compiz' directory under ~/.config.

gluck

A while ago there was a bug in which KDE would not remember between login sessions that desktop effects had been switched ON. They fixed that. Now it won't remember that they've been switched OFF.

(me too)

Log in as root. Navigate to your home directory. If there's a folder named Compiz in the .config(hidden) directory, delete it. Log out root and back in as you. Desktop effects should be disabled.

Quote Originally Posted by opensuze View Post
    Log in as root. Navigate to your home directory. If there's a folder named Compiz in the .config(hidden) directory, delete it. Log out root and back in as you. Desktop effects should be disabled.
    BAD advice NEVER log in as root use su or sudo instead

In a console type su then your root password then
    xgl-switch --disable-xgl (to disable Xgl and deactivate Compiz)

Have a read here

Quote Originally Posted by geoffro View Post
    BAD advice NEVER log in as root use su or sudo instead

In a console type su then your root password then
    xgl-switch --disable-xgl (to disable Xgl and deactivate Compiz)

Have a read here
    This is assuming he can see a console or anything but a blank monitor with his user login.
    .......though, I suppose he could do a console login from KDM.
    Redhat 7.3, 9.0, Fedora Core 1, 2, 3, 4, openSUSE 10.1, 10.2, Fedora 7, 8, 9, openSUSE 11.0
    Preferred Desktop: Gnome

the desktop effect seems to be very tough to kill. I tried the sudo xgl-switch --disable-xgl as well as remove the compiz folder under the .config under my home folder. The next time I logon, the compiz grew back by itself

The desktop effect is still there. Actually I don't necessary have to remove it. Just the windows decoration thing is blocking all the maximize, minimize and close icon. I have to guess where it is and hit the right spot to get those buttons functioning. If there is a way to have them show up all the time. That would be good enough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast