Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problem with suspend and hibernate in opensuse 11.0

Default Re: Problem with suspend and hibernate in opensuse 11.0

I think it's better for me to just wait for 11.1, if it still isn't right then i'll regress and lock.

Hibernate isn't the only problem for me. I removed pulse audio and use Esound for desktop, ALSA for multimedia, OSS for games. Old stuff lack features but it works, sometimes better.

Thanks for the thought folks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rona_dinihari View Post
    Hibernate isn't the only problem for me. I removed pulse audio and use Esound for desktop, ALSA for multimedia, OSS for games. Old stuff lack features but it works, sometimes better.
    Is your sound restarting now after suspend and hibernate?

If it does not resume properly (after suspend and hibernate) what happens if after suspend and hibernate (when sound doesn't work) you manually restart alsa with:
    su -c 'rcalsasound restart'

Red face Re: Problem with suspend and hibernate in opensuse 11.0

Yes, it's not working after resume. But, it's not about that. The sound fails at certain points of use. And, it still not just that.

I'm sure there's always at least one workaround for every problem i have. But i'm too tired doing workarounds and investigating faults. There are too many of them.

Now i know why a friend of mine still uses 10.2 . He uses a worned laptop. Software upgrades just not meant for better performance. Better features, but not better performance. Upgrading/Installing new stuff takes too much resource. I spent two weeks of lack of sleep doing clean install, testing features, investigating faults, applying patches, workarounds, and those are such a waste after i found out that the new softwares needs new hardwares unless you turn off the new feature which become a complete waste of time and internet bandwith.

I don't mean bad though. I'm sure there's a good point to do software upgrade. But for me it's not now. My boss suddenly gave me tasks, and my laptop was in the state of not completely ready.

If i continue working out these problems, would it make it to the next distribution release?

If yes, how?

Blog Entries

I'm sure there's always at least one workaround for every problem i have. But i'm too tired doing workarounds and investigating faults. There are too many of them. ....... My boss suddenly gave me tasks, and my laptop was in the state of not completely ready.
    Sorry to read about your tribulations. .... But if it were me, and if this was a work provided laptop, I definitely would NOT be playing around with ANY OS on a work provided laptop. I would stick with what the office gives me. That way its the office fault and not mine, for provided equipment failure.

or, alternatively, I would carefully pick and choose my own laptop for Linux compatibility, and use a laptop that I have picked which is 100% compatible (which is what I do) and I simply do not have such problems.

If i continue working out these problems, would it make it to the next distribution release?
    Unlikely IMHO. It only "might" make it to 11.1 IF you contribute to the development effort by writing bug reports on your specific problem, and testing the alpha and beta releases and writing bug reports on those for your specific problem.

Which is why I simply ensure my laptop is supported before:
    a. purchasing the laptop, and
    b. before updating way from a distribution version that works fine.

Best wishes in the path that you follow.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    Sorry to read about your tribulations. .... But if it were me, and if this was a work provided laptop, I definitely would NOT be playing around with ANY OS on a work provided laptop. I would stick with what the office gives me. That way its the office fault and not mine, for provided equipment failure.
    It's my own personal property, not work provided. It's either this or a work provided dumb terminal with only wallpaper and a handfull application through right click menu and the keyboard keys swaped around, and prone to black outs. The current state is more acceptable than the other option.

or, alternatively, I would carefully pick and choose my own laptop for Linux compatibility, and use a laptop that I have picked which is 100% compatible (which is what I do) and I simply do not have such problems.
    I did. At least i thought i did. This is Axioo NVE828NC, a Via P4M900, Clevo M541SE. It has an original linux distribution with it. But the original is Mandrake and i want to try out opensuse. When i tried 10.2 it looks great. Then i tried again with 10.3, i didn't notice any problem there. But when i tried 11.0 , it's not going well.

b. before updating way from a distribution version that works fine.
    Well at least i tried around before making final decesion to use the best distribution and version for this laptop. I still would try out new releases, partially. My nfs server working right after upgrading to 11.0 .

Blog Entries

I did. At least i thought i did. This is Axioo NVE828NC, a Via P4M900, Clevo M541SE. It has an original linux distribution with it. But the original is Mandrake and i want to try out opensuse. When i tried 10.2 it looks great. Then i tried again with 10.3, i didn't notice any problem there. But when i tried 11.0 , it's not going well.
    Hmmm.... when I tried to search on this laptop, I found no mention. I looked here:
    I also went to the Axioo and Clevo web sites, and saw no Linux driver support for the laptop.

I think this goes to show, that just because one gets Linux pre-installed on a Laptop, does not mean the support is good. I sympathisize with your frustration wrt to the effort to find work arounds, but from what I can see after spending 15 minutes surfing, this laptop has poor linux support, not only by the original supplier/manufacturer, but also poor support from the Linux community in general. ... Maybe I am missing a good site that you have found, ...

Well at least i tried around before making final decesion to use the best distribution and version for this laptop. I still would try out new releases, partially. My nfs server working right after upgrading to 11.0 .
    What I recommend you do is use various Linux tools to list the exact specification (including product/vendor IDs) for the various components of your laptop, and try to find support / workarounds that way .. ie for
    • wireless
    • graphics
    • sound
    • webcam (if any)
    and then look for support and distribution compatibility on a "component" level.

... wrt power management, ... take a good look at your "dmesg" output after a boot (pipe it to a text file):
    dmesg > dmesg.txt
    and open dmseg.txt up with a text editor, and look for power management errors. You may need to do some major custom tuning there, ... and this is an area that I know nothing about, as the laptops that I have used to date (after doing significant pre-purchase research) "just worked".

I honestly can not see a way to get this laptop working completely without spending a LOT of time custom tuning. It simply is NOT supported well by Linux in general.

New update

oldcpu, i thought about your advise a lot. So i did some more check on the internet. It turn out that Via has released some more codes recently. I tried it out and it WORKED. Now I CAN HIBERNATE without any modification to power management settings. But there still something wrong with sound after resume.

Now since you have gave some advice for the sound, I'd like to continue on that.

i did this as root:
    $ rcalsasound restart

$ dmesg
    ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:06:01.0 disabled
    ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:06:01.0[A] -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 17
    PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:06:01.0 to 64
    ALSA sound/pci/hda/hda_codec.c:3021: autoconfig: line_outs=1 (0x1f/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0)
    ALSA sound/pci/hda/hda_codec.c:3025: speaker_outs=0 (0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0)
    ALSA sound/pci/hda/hda_codec.c:3029: hp_outs=1 (0x20/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0)
    ALSA sound/pci/hda/hda_codec.c:3030: mono: mono_out=0x0
    ALSA sound/pci/hda/hda_codec.c:3038: inputs: mic=0x1d, fmic=0x21, line=0x1e, fline=0x0, cd=0x24, aux=0x0

No sound came out after resume. What should i check now?

Blog Entries

Now I CAN HIBERNATE without any modification to power management settings. But there still something wrong with sound after resume .....

i did this as root:
    $ rcalsasound restart

$ dmesg
    ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:06:01.0 disabled
    ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:06:01.0[A] -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 17
    PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:06:01.0 to 64
    ALSA sound/pci/hda/hda_codec.c:3021: autoconfig: line_outs=1 (0x1f/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0)
    ALSA sound/pci/hda/hda_codec.c:3025: speaker_outs=0 (0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0)
    ALSA sound/pci/hda/hda_codec.c:3029: hp_outs=1 (0x20/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0)
    ALSA sound/pci/hda/hda_codec.c:3030: mono: mono_out=0x0
    ALSA sound/pci/hda/hda_codec.c:3038: inputs: mic=0x1d, fmic=0x21, line=0x1e, fline=0x0, cd=0x24, aux=0x0

No sound came out after resume. What should i check now?
    So your laptop sound works (before hibernation)? Your laptop then went into hibernation. When it came out no sound. And running: su -c 'rcalsasound restart' after coming out of hibernation did not help either ? Is that correct? What what you using as a sound test?

As for those dmesg parameters. Were there no others with either "snd" or "audio" or "alsa" or "hda"? The dmesg output you posted looks ok to me (with the very little that I know). Don't those logged items just record the assigning of hardware codec aspects to various mixer controls? (I'm guessing there).

What sound modules are loaded after your laptop comes out of hibernation?

What does this give:
    lsmod | snd
    and how does it compare to typing the same command BEFORE hibernation?

In truth, I know nothing about hibernation ... and know only a little bit about sound.

Good luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12