Thread: Application Browser

Default Application Browser

I installed the Gnome Desktop after the KDE desktop.

I don't have any Descriptions under the program icons in the Application Browser.

ie:

Computer > More Applications Button > 1,000,000 installed programs all with Icons only!

Can anyone help with this?

Default Re: Application Browser

Do you have descriptions in the main applications, that is, the ones that are immediately accessible in the menu?

I don't use Gnome so don't really know what is the standard behavior but I don't expect a gnome installation to mess with the installed applications desktop files. Maybe the behavior under Gnome is different or simply most of the applications don't have a description.

YES Everything else is ok. Just the Applications Browser doesn't have descriptions.

There is supposed to be an Icon with a description of the program.
    ie: the calcaulater Icon should say Calculator under the calculater Icon.

alfille NNTP User

I have exactly the same problem. Makes the whole system practically unusable.

I tried looking at the .desktop files -- look fine, Program names are there.

I tried creating a new user. Same problem.

I tried strace on the "application-browser" application -- but there is so much chaff that-s it hard to know where the configuration file could be found.

Control center and alacarte seem to have no controls over this.

There is no man page nor web page.

I don't mind trying to figure things out -- but you have to meet us half way with a less opaque system. This is like MSWindows.