Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: best distro besides Suse?

Default best distro besides Suse?

I was wondering what others think is the best distro other than Suse. In particular for someone totally new to linux, and with respect to basic(wireless,audio, etc) things working with the least amount of configuring. And a bonus question what approach did you take to learn a distro. I plan on just trying to do everything i can do in windows thats possible then just tryng new projects that interest me and are unique to linux. thx

Default Re: best distro besides Suse?

oops i wanted to post this in general chit chat, how do i move it?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by quietthought View Post
    I was wondering what others think is the best distro other than Suse. In particular for someone totally new to linux, and with respect to basic(wireless,audio, etc) things working with the least amount of configuring.
    You have to keep in mind that openSUSE has a philosophy that pushes the opensource free software concept more than other distributions. Which typically means, given that many wireless manufacturers only have proprietary drivers, that wireless will not work out of the box with openSUSE. But wireless will with other distributions which do not mind packaging proprietary software/drivers.

Hence on the basis of drivers (wireless, graphics) then openSUSE is not as easy to setup (although there is a big effort to create wiki's and repositories to simplify this on the part of the openSUSE commnunity). wrt to audio, openSUSE is no better and no worse than other distributions. Basic audio functionality is a pet peeve of mine (I push hard to ensure users have basic sound), ... and on freenode irc#alsa I see an incredible number of ubuntu users with non-functional sound. But IMHO thats merely a reflection of there being more Ubuntu Linux users than other distributions, and also a reflection that the advanced users on IRC #suse are better at solving sound problems than the advanced users on IRC #ubuntu.

I prefer openSUSE because:
    (a) yast config tool (you either like it or hate it - and I like it)
    (b) packman packagers (time release of multimedia)
    (c) best KDE implemenation
    (d) good community

But if I were to choose a distribution other than openSUSE it would be based on people I know, where I am likely to get support at the office and with friends. And in that case it would be Fedora, as most of the Linux engineers at the office where I work run Fedora at home. And when it comes to Linux knowledge those guys at the office "really rock".

And a bonus question what approach did you take to learn a distro.
    I read, and read, and read some more. I read for two weeks (at least an hour a day) before my first install attempt (with Red Hat, back in 1998), and I read a lot after that. Lately I've become very lazy. ... Comes with old age me thinks.

oops i wanted to post this in general chit chat, how do i move it?
    consider it moved

Andy
    To be is to do = Immanuel Kant
    To do is to be = Descartes.
    Do be do be do = Frank Sinatra

SuSE user since 7.0,Linux user since 1994

Good answer, I also like to read unfortunately i have to try to understand any subject that interest me in depth(as i bet you do as well). So right now im reading books on linux which are fairly theoretical yet still basic, but not very applicable. I was hoping to pick up general purpose stuff by tinkering around but my lack of internet access in linux is making that difficult. But everyone here is offering good help, so it will happen eventually, probably when my knowledge level is equal to the advice. I have no idea what im doing its kinda fun.

Blog Entries

I was wondering what others think is the best distro other than Suse. In particular for someone totally new to linux, and with respect to basic(wireless,audio, etc) things working with the least amount of configuring.
    Ubuntu I can see the grimaces already from my fellows here, but I like it -- it's easy (sort of), nearly as easy as Suse. But unfortunately the help in the Ubu forums is kinda amateur and often wrong, despite being very well meaning.
    And a bonus question what approach did you take to learn a distro. I plan on just trying to do everything i can do in windows thats possible then just tryng new projects that interest me and are unique to linux. thx
    I fiddled and fiddled ad read and read and fiddled and fiddled .............. and lo and behold, years later I'm still fiddling and reading (and now a bit of writing too).
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1(Beta) &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

Kaiki NNTP User

Out of the distros I've tried, I'd rate them as follows:
    1. OpenSuse ofc
    2. Mandriva
    3. Kubuntu/Ubuntu
    4. Red Hat 9

Red Hat 9 - Was the first distro I ever used. It had its problems, but that's probably because of its age. I haven't tried Fedora yet, but it looks decent so I might rate it Second best to Suse. Mandriva works out of the box and the version I used awhile back had audio and video codecs on the disc so I didn't have to download anything which was sweet because I had no internet access back then...

quietthought wrote:
    > I was wondering what others think is the best distro other than Suse.

i've used red hat, fedora and suse mostly...but, also spent a few
    months with Mandrivia (back when it was called Mandrake)...and,
    'played' with several flavors for a day, or a week...(too many to
    list) and offer these words:

they are all the same...and, because of that it is as easy to
    transition from Windows[tm] to any of them, as any other of them..
    [some come ready to run with wireless, but not audio, or with audio
    but not wireless, or or or]

AND, for sure: they are all different...and, because of that it is as
    difficult to transition from Windows[tm], Mac[tm] *OR* any Linux/*nix
    distro to any other..

ALL moves to a new OS will raise some challenges you can immediately
    deal with (based on your experience in Win/Mac/RedHat/*buntu or
    whatever) *or* you may find yourself COMPLETELY LOST (because of your
    experience in Win/Mac/whatever)

oh, the answer to your question "Which is best?" _The_ best distro is
    the one you are most familiar with.

> I plan on just trying to do everything i can do in windows thats
    > possible then just tryng new projects that interest me and are unique to
    > linux.

i hereby predict: when you have learned enough to become comfortable
    in Linux you will reverse the above and: do everything you can in
    Linux and (soon) do only those things in Windows[tm] that you cannot
    do in Linux (and join the rest of us in *****ing about that), and
    then when you "see the light" you will just dump Redmond and do
    without those things that USED to seem so important..

which is the reason Steve promised to bury us..

--
    DenverD (Linux Counter 282315) via NNTP, Thunderbird 2.0.0.14, KDE
    3.5.7, SUSE Linux 10.3, 2.6.22.18-0.2-default #1 SMP i686 athlon

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    I prefer openSUSE because:
    (a) yast config tool (you either like it or hate it - and I like it)
    (b) packman packagers (time release of multimedia)
    (c) best KDE implemenation
    (d) good community
    To add to what oldcpu said, once you have the hang of it, you should really try some other distros just to see the various techniques & the LiveCDs make it easy.

Sidux -- it's bleeding edge, always running on the near latest kernel version& there's a lite version. I like to try it prior to a major kernel upgrade.

Slax6 -- makes use of modules (which is an interesting concept).

Knoppix -- Grown into a LiveDVD; I miss the LiveCD.

Nimblex -- The author has a lot of innovative ideas; worth checking out his different approaches.

Etal
    Desktop Asus X-99 Viper. uefi & secure Boot, Win10, Leap 15.1; Laptop: ASUS GL752VW Optimus, uefi+Secure Boot, Win10, Leap 15.1 & T-weed and IMac

PCLinuxOS and Mandriva are both easy for newbies. MCC is very easy to use. Ubuntu is good and has great documentation. It takes a bit more command line with Ubuntu and that might throw some newcomers.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast