Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Cannot change printed output font for KMail

  1. #1

    Default Cannot change printed output font for KMail

    I cannot change the font of printed output from Kmail -- it is very poor quality and uneven. I have tried changing Settings -> Configure Kontact -> Appearance -> Printing output -> verdana -> apply. using KDE or Gnome makes no difference. I am using the hplip driver for a Photosmart C5180 for which the printed output is usally excellent.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Oklahoma, US
    Posts
    822

    Default Re: Cannot change printed output font for KMail

    On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 10:06:03 GMT
    linux matt <linux_matt@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

    >
    > I cannot change the font of printed output from Kmail -- it is very poor
    > quality and uneven. I have tried changing Settings -> Configure Kontact
    > -> Appearance -> Printing output -> verdana -> apply. using KDE or
    > Gnome makes no difference. I am using the hplip driver for a Photosmart
    > C5180 for which the printed output is usally excellent.
    >
    >


    Please try changing the font in the Kmail program itself... Kontact acts as a "shell" around Kmail when they are used together, and settings are not
    always propagated through.

    Kmail is available as a stand-alone program from the Kmenu -> Applications ->
    Internet -> Kmail, or you may type kmail in the search box.

    Loni

    --
    L R Nix
    lornix@lornix.com


  3. #3

    Default Re: Cannot change printed output font for KMail

    I have tried this on 2 installations of kmail. In neither case does the printing output setting change the preview or indeed the printout. Does this actually work on your system?

  4. #4

    Default Re: Cannot change printed output font for KMail

    Here's a more detailed explanation of the issue:

    Cannot change print output font from Kmail.I have 2 installations of kmail running under Suse 10.3. Using the "Printing output" setting in Kmail I cannot change the font that is used for printing. I can change the font for the message body no problem, and the font name for printed output is definitely written to the kmailrc configuration file e.g.: "print-font=Utopia,10,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0". The print preview (presumably using ghostview) seems to always show some default font but where that font is set I have no idea.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    20,592
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Cannot change printed output font for KMail

    Seems to be a bug reported by others:

    'Bug#32028: KMail Print fonts too large' - MARC

    Gentoo Bug 233328 - kde-base/kmail-3.5.9 prints with the same font

    This last one mentions a possible workaround:

    [Bug 106217] New: kmail ignores the set printing font and font size when the message view is set to fixed font - Janet - org.kde.kmail-devel - MarkMail

    Now, one wild stab in the dark: Have a look at KDE Control Centre > Peripherals > Printers. Select Print Manager > Fonts. Is the 'Embed fonts in PostScript data when printing' enabled?

    All I can offer...

  6. #6

    Default Re: Cannot change printed output font for KMail

    That Gentoo bug is the same one as I am experiencing. Yes, the "Embed fonts in PostScript data when printing" is enabled and I assume it should be?

    Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Seems to be a bug reported by others:

    'Bug#32028: KMail Print fonts too large' - MARC

    Gentoo Bug 233328 - kde-base/kmail-3.5.9 prints with the same font

    This last one mentions a possible workaround:

    [Bug 106217] New: kmail ignores the set printing font and font size when the message view is set to fixed font - Janet - org.kde.kmail-devel - MarkMail

    Now, one wild stab in the dark: Have a look at KDE Control Centre > Peripherals > Printers. Select Print Manager > Fonts. Is the 'Embed fonts in PostScript data when printing' enabled?

    All I can offer...

  7. #7

    Default Re: Cannot change printed output font for KMail

    BTW, does KDE set a default print font anywhere? looks like Sans or similar to me.

    ...and thanks for reply deano, helpful

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    20,592
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Cannot change printed output font for KMail

    Yes, that ps option should be enabled. If you don't get any joy here, I would recommend posting this 'KDE' problem at Main Page - KDE-Forum.org

  9. #9

    Default Re: Cannot change printed output font for KMail

    Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Yes, that ps option should be enabled. If you don't get any joy here, I would recommend posting this 'KDE' problem at Main Page - KDE-Forum.org
    Many thanks, will do

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •