Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Integrate Firefox - Remove Konqueror - Network setup - JAVA

Smile Integrate Firefox - Remove Konqueror - Network setup - JAVA

Hi there,

I am kinda new to linux and openSUSE. I have installed version 11 x64
    on a Intel Q9300, asus mobo, 4GBs of ram and nvidia8800GTX.
    I've used Ubuntu before at home which was OK, nicely done, easy friendly but seemed to be fragile at times and didn't look that professional compared to openSUSE. I've used RHEL4 at work which made me to hate my life!

After installation everything worked smoothly, well nearly, because I had problems playing .mp3 and .avi files. All that is sorted though.

Anyhow, I am a firefox user, so I want to use Firefox as the main browser, how will I make it the primary browser of the system?
    Applications like sysinfo use Konqueror, I want to use firefox instead or Dolphin if possible. Also I have two Fat32 partitions and a NTFS with vista to dual boot, these are not shown on Dolphin, they are only shown on Konqueror. Also i tried to sudo and modify menu.lst but I didn't have access not even to read the file.

Network setup; I have to enable it manually? Why? I made a new connection gave it a name and set it up to route to the outside world properly. But why would I have to enable manually each time I boot up?

JAVA; ultimately this box will be used for web and java development but I have no idea how java performs under linux and opensuse 11. How about eclipse? Would enabled compiz effects coz a problem to the windows rendering?

I chose openSuse 11 cause I heard about the excellent KD4 support + extra applications.

Apologies if I am giving someone a headache

Regards,
    Eikichi

Default Re: Integrate Firefox - Remove Konqueror - Network setup - J

Quote Originally Posted by eikichi View Post
    Anyhow, I am a firefox user, so I want to use Firefox as the main browser, how will I make it the primary browser of the system?
    In the KDE Control Center you have a "Default Applications" item (search for it) that allows you to specify firefox directly. You can also select file associations in the Advanced section and for html (search for it) move firefox to the top.

Applications like sysinfo use Konqueror, I want to use firefox instead or Dolphin if possible.
    Hmm, Dolphin is primarily a file manager and firefox is not. So don't understand that.

Also I have two Fat32 partitions and a NTFS with vista to dual boot, these are not shown on Dolphin, they are only shown on Konqueror.
    Well, that is strange. My suggestion: upgrade to KDE 4.1 if you haven't yet.

Also i tried to sudo and modify menu.lst but I didn't have access not even to read the file.
    As root it's pretty hard to not have access to the file. Try "su" and "whoami" afterwards to re-double-check that you are root.

Network setup; I have to enable it manually? Why? I made a new connection gave it a name and set it up to route to the outside world properly. But why would I have to enable manually each time I boot up?
    Hmmm, My only suggestion is to check that you have "Activate device at boot time" for your card. But what do you mean by "made a new connection and gave it a name"?

JAVA; ultimately this box will be used for web and java development but I have no idea how java performs under linux and opensuse 11. How about eclipse? Would enabled compiz effects coz a problem to the windows rendering?
    Java performs very well ... as it should. No problem with eclipse either (other than looking kind of ugly with GTK widgets ). Can't tell you about compiz, tough. Note, I have Java manually installed in my home dir with PATH redefined. I don't like my dev environment to be upgraded automatically like the rest of the packages.

I hope some of this helps . Cheers.

Thank you for your quick reply.

I did set up Firefox to be the default browser, using the instructions you mentioned.

Also, set up the network connection to start at boot time

I know that Firefox is a browser and dolphin is a file manager. I was referring to the application System Information (sysinfo) which is displayed under Konqueror and I was wondering If I could use either the two to display it.

whoami returns my username and su allows me to authenticate as root.

Sill grub displays 4 entries. OpenSuse 11, failsafe, Windows 1 and Windows 2. My windows drive is partitioned in two. Obviously Windows 1 is the bootable the other is just data to share between the two OS's. Trying to boot in windows 1 is not possible. Grub says rootnoverify....

Finally I have updated to KDE 4.1, I was having problems though becomes some of the dependencies couldn't be provided. So I added the UNSTABLE repos manually and updated. Some of the problems I have are when I listen to online radio though Firefox the player's GUI is not shown, only a black strip saying (no video). Also Amarok is not playing mp3's nor Audio Streams neither any form of audio. Apologies for all of these but I am trying to make my environment experience as comfortable as possible.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
    Eikichi

I think for KDE 4.1 you should be using FACTORY instead of unstable. Using UNSTABLE, you probably ended up installing early 4.2 packages.

If amarok is lacking mp3 support you could consider installing amarok from the packman repository.

I see but I've installed OpenSUSE x64 and that was the only way I could update from KDE 4.0.x to KDE 4.1, unless there is another way.

It is clearly stated here: KDE/KDE4 - openSUSE

Note: Currently there are known problems with using the 1-click installation on 64-bit systems. Add the repositories and install/update the packages manually if you have a 64-bit system.
    I will try installing amarok from the pacman repository and I'll let you know how it went.

Now, what should I do about the UNSTABLE repos, should I use them or remove them and add the ones on YaST > Add on Product > Community Repositories?

Thank you for your guidance!
    Eikichi

sysinfo:// is Konqueror specific, so you can not use Firefox or Dolphin. But you can set Firefox as default for all websites.

To make your Windows partitions visible in Dolphin in the places sidebar, simply go to /windows and right click on each drive and click Add to Places.

Your grub problem is a common issue and has been stickied.
    Fixing vista multiboot with openSUSE - openSUSE Forums
    Grub uses a different partition for the rootnoverify command, which causes errors with the new boot manager for Vista.

You're probably using the mplayer plugin for Firefox when you stream video. There are a lot of problems with the GUI for this plugin. I used to have the same problem but its been getting better. If its a real player stream, you're better off disabling the mplayer plugin temporarily and let the real player plugin take over.

Now, what should I do about the UNSTABLE repos, should I use them or remove them and add the ones on YaST > Add on Product > Community Repositories?
    Eikichi
    sure. Just add the factory channel, as you have added UNSTABLE.

Quote Originally Posted by f33l View Post
    I think for KDE 4.1 you should be using FACTORY instead of unstable. Using UNSTABLE, you probably ended up installing early 4.2 packages.
    KDE4 repos I use:
    1)KDE 4.1.x :/repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Factory:/Desktop/openSUSE_11.0/
    2)KDE 4 Community: /repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Community/openSUSE_11.0_KDE4_Factory_Desktop/
    3)Main Repository (NON-OSS)
    4)Main Repository (OSS)
    5)Main Update Repository
    6)Nvidia
    7)Packman
    8) KDE 4 Extra-apps: /repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Factory:/Extra-Apps/openSUSE_11.0/
    9) openSUSE BuildService - KDE:Backports
    10)openSUSE BuildService - KDE:Community
    11)openSUSE BuildService - Mozilla
    12)openSUSE BuildService - OpenOffice.org
    13)openSUSE-11.0-Updates

If amarok is lacking mp3 support you could consider installing amarok from the packman repository.
    I had installed Amarok from the packman repo but a xine-lib 1.12
    was buggering the audio. I removed it and Amarok and installed libxine1 1.15 the x86_64 version and reinstalled Amarok. Now I do have audio but i get an error saying xine didn't find any audio drivers...

KDE4 repos I use:
    1)KDE 4.1.x :/repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Factory:/Desktop/openSUSE_11.0/
    2)KDE 4 Community: /repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Community/openSUSE_11.0_KDE4_Factory_Desktop/
    3)Main Repository (NON-OSS)
    4)Main Repository (OSS)
    5)Main Update Repository
    6)Nvidia
    7)Packman
    8) KDE 4 Extra-apps: /repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Factory:/Extra-Apps/openSUSE_11.0/
    9) openSUSE BuildService - KDE:Backports
    10)openSUSE BuildService - KDE:Community
    11)openSUSE BuildService - Mozilla
    12)openSUSE BuildService - OpenOffice.org
    13)openSUSE-11.0-Updates

Should I remove any of them? Or add more and if yes which?

I had installed Amarok from the packman repo but a xine-lib 1.12
    was buggering the audio. I removed it and Amarok and installed libxine1 1.15 the x86_64 version and reinstalled Amarok. Now I do have audio but i get an error saying xine didn't find any audio drivers...

Benjamin_Xiao
    I know sysinfo is for Konqueror only I thought maybe there was another way.

Indeed As I was playing around I noticed a folder called Windows and there I found my two partitions, I added them to the Places. Problem was that when I was first trying to do that, I wasn't looking for a folder called windows and never noticed it. I was looking inside media or mnt and I was going crazy. Anyways, it wasn't untill I was in konqueror and checked the destination of the two bookmarks there, that I realized a folder with such name exits. So that is solved as well.

Lastly, Firefox was using the VLC plugin, before removing xine-lib I had to remove VLC first including the mozilla-plugin. After installing lib-xine1 the VLC video broke but Kaffeine's video quality was fixed! Also the controls where shown on the online radio window! I have no idea which plugin is using now!

Thank you for help!
    Eikichi

P.S: If I have any more problems I'll start a new thread because this one is getting out of scope

My bad, I got the two plugins mixed up.

You might be using Xine plugin?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast