Thread: Today's Update has broken features in Gnome

Default Today's Update has broken features in Gnome

hello,
    I did a mandatory update today and have lost a lot of functionality w/Gnome. Things like when I click on control center it does not start. the mixer applet also no longer starts on bootup. my custom theme has defaulted back. I no longer have the "Appearence" link. What the hell did today's update do.Also when I right click on desktop and choose "Change Desktop Backround" nothing appears.Does anyone have any ideas on getting my desktop back to the way it was b4 this update.
    thanx
    openSUSE 11.1 Gnome 2.24.1 PIII @1gHz uname -r
    2.6.27.7-9-default

Default Re: Today's Update has broken features in Gnome

also note @ command line when i try to start command center:
    linux:/# gnome-control-center
    bash: gnome-control-center: command not found
    2.6.27.7-9-default

You could check /var/log/YaST2/y2logRPM to see what packages got installed/updated

Also looking at the last +/-50 lines of /var/log/zypper.log (tail -n 50 /var/log/zypper.log) should tell you what packages you could try downgrading to fix things.

Hope that helps,
    Wj
    Have a lot of fun!

thanx but /var/log/YaST2/y2logRPM doesnt even show an entry for todays date. And tail -n 50 /var/log/zypper.log doesnt show any package info either...
    2.6.27.7-9-default

Strange if you have done updates I think the rpm's must be listed there..., there are entires for previous installs?

How long has the system been running? Could it be a previous update that went in effect after logging out and in or rebooting?

Other than this maybe the search paths have been mucked up.. if you look in /usr/bin, is the gnome-control-center listed?

Maybe try creating a new user and log in with that to see if it works there.. ifso it's probably only a change in your users environment?

Hope that helps,
    Wj
    Have a lot of fun!

I'll look. This is the error message i get from gnome on logging in:
    There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon.

Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work correctly.

The last error message was:

The name org.gnome.SettingsDaemon was not provided by any .service files

GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you log in.
    2.6.27.7-9-default

i looked in /usr/bin and there is no gnome-control-center file.Also did some searching and found I should try launching gnome settings by hand. This is what I get:
    linux:# /usr/X11R6/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon
    bash: /usr/X11R6/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon: No such file or directory
    2.6.27.7-9-default

That looks like you are missing many vital items from/for GNOME.. Wonder what happend there?!

You could try reinstalling the GNOME Desktop by going into YaST > Software Management , selecting patterns, and install the GNOME desktop again.

Have you done anything special with your GNOME setup? Like using the GNOME:UNSTABLE repository? Could be one update caused other components to be removed due change of vendor or similar... but that is guessing...

Others with more experience might be able to help you better?!
    Have a lot of fun!

i got my desktop back by reinstalling control-center2 package and gnome-applets package. Mind you I had to install not reinstall them??? I had to have them installed b4 update. That is one thing I dont like about openSuse is updater doesnt show u what it is installing unless u click on show updates. And then it goes thru the long process of downloading sources all over again b4 showing you. If u know I need updates why do you have to download sources again??? We could take a clue from Mandriva & Ubuntu and automatically list what updates you are going to put in my machines. And I checked my sources and I only have Gnome stable. Thanx for your input....
    2.6.27.7-9-default

Must be a gnome thing, because in KDE3 the updater does indeed show me what updates are available, and I have the option to select them, or not.

I even have it set to show me third party repository updates.