Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: The fan isn't working

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    relative
    Posts
    1,172

    Default The fan isn't working

    Hi!
    Just solved the problems with acpi, in boot options (acpi=force howto). And now, I have just one problem with my laptop. If I start my 11.0 with boot options: acpi=force pci=noacpi apm=off, the fan isn't working, and the whole laptop is freezing down after 10 minutes.
    Some info about my system:
    Laptop: MSI - M670X (all tech. specifications)
    OS: openSuse 11.0
    Can somebody help me?
    Thanks!
    http://mydailyhash.wordpress.com/
    http://yami.googlecode.com/

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    relative
    Posts
    1,172

    Default Re: The fan isn't working

    Some additional setup options from the BIOS:
    PowerNow [Enabled] : Enable/disable the generation of ACPI _PPC, _PSS, and PCT objects.
    Enchanched Power Saving [Disabled] : Enable/disable
    Anybody can help?

    ps.:My system is running with acpi=off.
    http://mydailyhash.wordpress.com/
    http://yami.googlecode.com/

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    NE Arkansas
    Posts
    1,121

    Default Re: The fan isn't working

    Quote Originally Posted by ram88 View Post
    Some additional setup options from the BIOS:
    PowerNow [Enabled] : Enable/disable the generation of ACPI _PPC, _PSS, and PCT objects.
    Enchanched Power Saving [Disabled] : Enable/disable
    Anybody can help?

    ps.:My system is running with acpi=off.
    See How To Fix Your Buggy DSDT - openSUSE Forums post #4 & try acpi_osi="Microsoft Windows NT" at the bootsplash. Maybe you have the Vista bios bug too.

    I see MSI -- MICRO-STAR INT'L CO., LTD. shows a Vista bios and an winxp bios.

    For sure get the latest bios & try one or the other above.

    Good luck...
    Desktop Asus X-99 Viper. Uefi & secure Boot, Win10, 13.2 & Leap 42.2; Laptop: ASUS GL752VW Optimus, uefi+Secure Boot, Win10, Leap 42.2 & T-weed; and Home built Desktop: MSI NF980_G65, Quad Phenom X4_965 @ 3.4GHz; 13.2, Win7, Leap 42.2 and T-weed

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    23,604
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: The fan isn't working

    Quote Originally Posted by ram88
    Hi!
    Just solved the problems with acpi, in boot options (acpi=force howto).
    And now, I have just one problem with my laptop. If I start my 11.0 with
    boot options: acpi=force pci=noacpi apm=off, the fan isn't working, and
    the whole laptop is freezing down after 10 minutes.
    Some info about my system:
    Laptop: 'MSI - M670X' (http://m670x.msi-notebook.info/index.htm) (all
    tech. specifications)
    OS: openSuse 11.0
    Can somebody help me?
    Thanks!
    Hi
    So what happens if you just use acpi=force and no other boot options,
    does the system startup ok and run?

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 11.0 x86 Kernel 2.6.25.11-0.1-default
    up 21:45, 2 users, load average: 0.03, 0.07, 0.08
    GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 173.14.12


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    relative
    Posts
    1,172

    Default Re: The fan isn't working

    If i start it just with the acpi=force nothing happens. After 10 minutes it freezes down.

    snakedriver: I haven't this bug under 10.2!!!
    Everything worked fine, ACPI, powersave, CPUFreq! Are you think that i need to upgrade my BIOS?
    ^^In the BIOS update file is an *.exe file... What to do with that? I need a 98 boot floppy??
    BTW, i'll try the acpi_osi="Microsoft Windows NT" option.
    Thanks!
    http://mydailyhash.wordpress.com/
    http://yami.googlecode.com/

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    23,604
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: The fan isn't working

    Quote Originally Posted by ram88
    If i start it just with the acpi=force nothing happens. After 10 minutes
    it freezes down.

    snakedriver: I haven't this bug under 10.2!!!
    Everything worked fine, ACPI, powersave, CPUFreq! Are you think that i
    need to upgrade my BIOS?
    ^^In the BIOS update file is an *.exe file... What to do with that? I
    need a 98 boot floppy??
    BTW, i'll try the acpi_osi="Microsoft Windows NT" option.
    Thanks!
    Hi
    If you don't have a floppy, there are boot cd's (BartPE, ultimate boot
    cd, bootcd.com) and a google on "HOWTO:Flash Your Bios Using Only A CD"
    should get you going

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 11.0 x86 Kernel 2.6.25.11-0.1-default
    up 23:53, 2 users, load average: 0.06, 0.12, 0.09
    GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 173.14.12


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    relative
    Posts
    1,172

    Default Re: The fan isn't working

    Interesting things, after booting with:
    acpi_os_name="Microsoft Windows NT"
    acpi_os_name="Microsoft Windows XP"
    acpi_os_name="Linux"
    The cat gives my with all os_name options:
    # cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/trip_points
    critical (S5): 100 C
    # cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/temperature
    temperature: 75 C
    And the system freezes down. Whats going on?!
    http://mydailyhash.wordpress.com/
    http://yami.googlecode.com/

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    relative
    Posts
    1,172

    Default Re: The fan isn't working

    Okay!
    I made a BIOS update. I'm tried options like
    Code:
    acpi_os_name="Microsoft Windows NT/XP"
    acpi_os_name="Linux"
    I'm already tried it without acpi=off option and with acpi=force.
    BUT My openSuse is still freezing down!
    ps.: cooler is working, but nothing changes....
    http://mydailyhash.wordpress.com/
    http://yami.googlecode.com/

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    relative
    Posts
    1,172

    Question Re: The fan isn't working

    Okay, last post (I'm replying to myself, ).
    I'm tried several boot options: acpi_osi=, acpi_os_name=, (with Microsoft Windows xx), etc.
    The cooler is working, ACPI is working, but openSuse is freezing down.
    It works without any problem on Solaris, openSolaris, openSuse 10.2!
    But not in 11.0. What to do?
    Can somebody help me?
    Please!
    http://mydailyhash.wordpress.com/
    http://yami.googlecode.com/

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    NE Arkansas
    Posts
    1,121

    Default Re: The fan isn't working

    Quote Originally Posted by ram88 View Post
    Okay, last post (I'm replying to myself, ).
    I'm tried several boot options: acpi_osi=, acpi_os_name=, (with Microsoft Windows xx), etc.
    The cooler is working, ACPI is working, but openSuse is freezing down.
    It works without any problem on Solaris, openSolaris, openSuse 10.2!
    But not in 11.0. What to do?
    Can somebody help me?
    Please!
    There could be any number of things to look at:

    if this was a desktop, I'd say let's do some maint:
    open the case & check the cpu fan wire going to the right mobo fan terminal
    reseat it
    is there a wire or something keeping the fan from turning?
    is it dusty"
    when you powerup does it spin?
    keep the case off


    1st, go into BIOS and turn on (Enable) the generation of ACPI _PPC, _PSS, and PCT objects and cool'n'quite or speedstep (needed for powersave)
    (not sure w/o looking at the spec but I think _PSS is for p-state which has to do with the cpu.)

    2nd, get an openSUSE LiveCD; openSUSE-11 0 KDE-3 5 9 liveCD : Software > Linux - Mininova looks like a good one to try; burn it @ 8x (or below). Try that (or -if you like, try Sidux lite LiveCD @ Index of /pub/sidux/release)

    look at the fan (listen) as you boot the livecd (no kernel parameters)
    If the LiveCD works, then 11.0 should too.

    I'd do another download; do the MD5SUMS check on the iso & then burn it at 8x or below. MD5SUMS says you have a good iso; 8x or below prevents buffer overflows during the burn.
    -------

    There should be a howto @ that link I posted earlier for what's needed to update your bios. Do it with the AC adapter plugged in.
    -------

    Most laptops revert to motherboard control of the fan; if you can see that in bios, make sure the cutoff temp is not too low; sit there for a few minutes and monitor them; can you read fan speed? "gkrellm" is a way to monitor them on the desktop.

    Try those and get back

    Edit:
    PS: what exactly is your cpu?
    when you boot the livecd. do "dmesg | grep -2i acpi" in a terminal and post the output.
    Last edited by snakedriver; 18-Aug-2008 at 17:16.
    Desktop Asus X-99 Viper. Uefi & secure Boot, Win10, 13.2 & Leap 42.2; Laptop: ASUS GL752VW Optimus, uefi+Secure Boot, Win10, Leap 42.2 & T-weed; and Home built Desktop: MSI NF980_G65, Quad Phenom X4_965 @ 3.4GHz; 13.2, Win7, Leap 42.2 and T-weed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •