VirtualBox OSE Error

I am trying to install VirtualBox OSE on my computer and use an old image that I used on my old OS (pclinuxos) After I installed, I deleted the folder in my home directory (.VirtualBox) and replaced it with a copy from my backups. When I try to start it, I get the following error:

Could not lock the settings file ‘/home/henleys/.VirtualBox/VirtualBox.xml’ (VERR_ACCESS_DENIED).

Result Code:
0x80004005
Component:
VirtualBox
Interface:
IVirtualBox {76b25f3c-15d4-4785-a9d3-adc6a462beec}

I read that using the command below should fix the problem but it was not successful
sudo chown -R henleys.vboxusers /home/henleys/.VirtualBox

any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

I have tried to do something similar too n the past, but I ended up just starting fresh. If you read VBox manual there is a section about backups and the methods that are acceptable.

RTFM, I see… I did as instructed and found that my method of backing up the image was incorrect… DoH! I will start from scratch and thanks for the help, I know what to do next time.

caf4926,

I’ve looked at the manual and couldn’t find any mention of backing up the vm. Are you talking about “cloning” it? I found that but it doesn’t tell me how. Are you talking about “snapshot”?

Sure want to know.

Thanks.
Ron

I cannot claim to full understand this as I have never done it. I did have in mind cloning, and this is from the manual:

5.3 Cloning disk images
You can duplicate hard disk image files on the same host to quickly produce a second
virtual machine with the same operating system setup. However, you should only make
copies of virtual disk images using the utility supplied with VirtualBox; see chapter
8.14, VBoxManage clonevdi, page 109. This is because VirtualBox assigns a unique
identity number (UUID) to each disk image, which is also stored inside the image, and
VirtualBox will refuse to work with two images that use the same number. If you do
accidentally try to reimport a disk image which you copied normally, you can make a
second copy using VirtualBox’s utility and import that instead.
Note that newer Linux distributions identify the boot hard disk from the ID
of the drive. The ID VirtualBox reports for a drive is determined from the
5 Virtual storage
UUID of the virtual disk image. So if you clone a disk image and try to boot
the copied image the guest might not be able to determine its own boot disk
as the UUID changed. In this case you have to adapt the disk ID in your
boot loader script (for example /boot/grub/menu.lst). The disk ID looks like
scsi-SATA_VBOX_HARDDISK_VB5cfdb1e2-c251e503. The ID for the copied
image can be determined with
hdparm -i /dev/sda

Yes, caf4926, That’s exactly right. BUT, It does NOT tell you HOW to do it.

or maybe I’m so dense that I can’t see it :\

Thanks,
Ron

have you tried this?
VirtualBox error - VERR_ACCESS_DENIED

Is there an English Version of this?
Thanks

I just started fresh with mine. XP is better for it anyway. Probably a hell of a lot quicker. But you are right it doesn’t tell you HOW to backup. Very poor.
But I like VBox.