Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Gnome freezing (maybe FF related)

  1. #1

    Default Gnome freezing (maybe FF related)

    Sometimes, it seems like gnome just freezes and I can't click anything except some things in the application that's up at the moment (mostly tabs in FF). Trying ctrl+alt+backspace sometimes take care of the problem, even though most times it's still impossible to use the mouse for anything after logging in. Alt+tab and alt+f4 also work sometimes, but doesn't really help since the problem is there no matter what window is active. The only thing that really helps is a reboot.

    I don't think I've ever had this problem without Firefox running, but then again, I always have firefox running. On a second thought, I think there was one time it happened while using opera, but I'm not sure.

    Does anyone know what might be causing this?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Gnome freezing (maybe FF related)

    Forgot to mention: I'm using OpenSUSE 10.3 and Firefox 3.0.1.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Oklahoma, US
    Posts
    822

    Default Re: Gnome freezing (maybe FF related)

    iddqdSWE wrote:

    >
    > Forgot to mention: I'm using OpenSUSE 10.3 and Firefox 3.0.1.
    >
    >


    New install?

    Either way, please check to see if Beagle is running... it's that little
    doggie in the tray... he's a *bad* doggie, and eats all your cpu cycles.
    Best to uninstall it if it's on your system. Right click on the 'Kerry
    Beagle' icon -> configure -> daemon status -> stop. And then uninstall it.

    Bad Doggie!!

    Loni

    --
    L R Nix
    lornix@lornix.com

  4. #4

    Default Re: Gnome freezing (maybe FF related)

    Quote Originally Posted by lornix View Post
    iddqdSWE wrote:

    >
    > Forgot to mention: I'm using OpenSUSE 10.3 and Firefox 3.0.1.
    >
    >


    New install?

    Either way, please check to see if Beagle is running... it's that little
    doggie in the tray... he's a *bad* doggie, and eats all your cpu cycles.
    Best to uninstall it if it's on your system. Right click on the 'Kerry
    Beagle' icon -> configure -> daemon status -> stop. And then uninstall it.

    Bad Doggie!!

    Loni

    --
    L R Nix
    lornix@lornix.com
    No, I installed OpenSUSE almost a year ago. I don't remember when the problem started. It was pretty recently, but before I upgraded to FF3.

    I'll try that. Thanks.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Gnome freezing (maybe FF related)

    Quote Originally Posted by iddqdSWE View Post
    No, I installed OpenSUSE almost a year ago. I don't remember when the problem started. It was pretty recently, but before I upgraded to FF3.

    I'll try that. Thanks.
    I've uninstalled the beagle plugin for Firefox and things seem to run better now. Thanks for the help!

  6. #6

    Default Re: Gnome freezing (maybe FF related)

    I've uninstalled Beagle but it didn't work. I still get these problems. Everything freezes, I can hardly click everything and the only thing I can do is to use tab to select different thing in a window. Does anyone know what might be causing this?

  7. #7

    Default Re: Gnome freezing (maybe FF related)

    It just happened again. Everything just froze for the third or four time today and I had to reboot my computer.

    Does anyone know what the problem is or had the same problem?

  8. #8

    Default Re: Gnome freezing (maybe FF related)

    Sorry for the repeated bumps, but it just happened again. I tried to restart X and when I tried to login, I got a message saying that the Gnome session handler couldn't start correctly and that I should report the error (which I did) and include the following ICE message: "Cannot establish any listening sockets".

    I tried to log in with a failsafe session but the problem was still there. I also tried googling the error message but didn't find anything useful.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Oklahoma, US
    Posts
    822

    Default Re: Gnome freezing (maybe FF related)

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 02:46:02 GMT
    iddqdSWE <iddqdSWE@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

    >
    > Sorry for the repeated bumps, but it just happened again. I tried to
    > restart X and when I tried to login, I got a message saying that the
    > Gnome session handler couldn't start correctly and that I should report
    > the error (which I did) and include the following ICE message: "Cannot
    > establish any listening sockets".
    >
    > I tried to log in with a failsafe session but the problem was still
    > there. I also tried googling the error message but didn't find anything
    > useful.
    >
    >


    Sorry to make this sound like a global panacea, but have you tried the
    'nohz=off' option on the boot options line at bootup?

    When grub presents it's menu, type 'nohz=off', then allow machine to boot.
    If this resolves some issues, you can add it to the default boot options by
    editing menu.lst.

    I've had six machines now where this option immediately cleared up weird
    freezes and lockups. Also resolves so time keeping issues as well

    Loni

    --
    L R Nix
    lornix@lornix.com


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: Gnome freezing (maybe FF related)

    > Sorry for the repeated bumps

    hello iddqdSWE,

    not at all sure it will be helpful...but, i've tried to keep up with
    all the different reasons folks found to be (in their
    opinion/experience) the reason for freezes (momentary or hard locked)
    and put them all on one page....see:

    http://tinyurl.com/6oo8cg

    oh, one other thing: i can't see where you or anyone replying to you
    mentioned LOOKING IN THE LOGS to see if there is a hint of the cause
    of the freeze..

    have a look in (at least) /var/log/messages which keeps a list in
    TIME order....when you have a freeze just note the TIME and when you
    get the machine back go in and take a look around that time...you
    might find an ERROR reported....put some of the important words from
    that error message in the subject line of a NEW post...along with
    specifics of your machine/software and maybe you will get the help
    you need and deserve..

    --
    DenverD (Linux Counter 282315) via NNTP, Thunderbird 2.0.0.14, KDE
    3.5.7, SUSE Linux 10.3, 2.6.22.18-0.2-default #1 SMP i686 athlon

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •