Installing an application

I have to install an application (senna sofware) and I’m not able to do it.
The installation string tells me that permission is denied.
Why?
The installing instruction says to login as a root user. Maybe I am not the root user? I thought I was: I installed the system and put my user name and password as an administrator…
Any idea?
Thanks

> I have to install an application (senna sofware) and I’m not able to do
> it.

i can find no linux software by that name…
is it for linux, what does it do??

> The installing instruction says to login as a root user. Maybe I am not
> the root user?

is it an .rpm file you are trying to install?
if so, do it with YaST which will ask you for the root password…

> I thought I was: I installed the system and put my user
> name and password as an administrator…

well, you CAN have the same password for ROOT, but is very unsafe to do so…

> Any idea?

yes, when you need to install software do it with YaST…OR, open a terminal,
become root with

su -

and then run zypper…

see man zypper (or search these fora for info on zypper)…

good luck…and, CHANGE the root pasword to something SECURE (numbers, letters,
some capital, some not, some strange %&#* etc)…

DenverD (Linux Counter 282315)
A Texan in Denmark

Starting with openSUSE-11 (maybe 10.3 also? (not sure)) when one installs, root is given the same password as the “primary” (initial/first) regular user, unless one deliberately choses otherwise. I always choose otherwise and I think this a bad openSUSE practise, but it has been implemented and the majority of users (sadly to me) think it a good idea.

Still, the default user name of admin is different than the user name of a regular user, even IF their passwords are the same. The admin in linux is known as “root” when a regular user needs to select their own username.

If one is trying to get root permissions from a konsole, the typical methods are to use a form of “su” or “sudo”.

For example while running X (ie KDE or Gnome or Xfce, or some other desktop)to open a terminal, and have all subsequent commands in that terminal window be commands from the admin, one simply types: su #and enter the password.

Alternatively, to have a single line (only) be that of the root user for a specific command, one can type type:
**su -c ‘rpm -Uvh application.rpm’ **
where in my example the command I wanted to run was “rpm -Uvh application.rpm”

Note the “su” command is used to “switch users” but if the user name is not specified, the command assumes one wishes to switch to be the admin (ie root).

> Starting with openSUSE-11 (maybe 10.3 also? (not sure)) when one
> installs, root is given the same password as the “primary”
> (initial/first) regular user, unless one deliberately choses otherwise.

WHO made that decision??
someone who works for a company in Redmond i’d bet…

STUPID!

A Texan in Denmark

I remember seeing the Video of a presentation in Berlin (on the changes to the openSUSE installer) when that “feature” was briefed. I think it was questioned, and the response was based on a survey, most openSUSE users actually use the same password for their primary user and their root account. So they decided to re-inforce this bad practise! (those are my words, not the presenters).

I was aghast!

Fortunately, there is an option (which is NOT the default option) that one can select to ensure root has a different password.

You can find it at sennASoftwareClub - Fatturazione Magazzino e Contabilita gratis per Promozione Sociale - <font color=“#FF9900”>Quest’area e’ riservata agli Utenti <i>Registrati al sito e/o solo ai Soci del sennASoftwareClub.</i><br><br>Ti puoi registrare gratuitamen
It’s an administrative sofware

No, they say you have to use terminal to install it

Yeah, I made this command and writings become red so I am the root user. This works!
But when I arrive to install the sofware, the installion process tell me that sennadown (the folder where the software is) is not on the main directory.
The installation instructions really tell me to extract the file senna.tar.hz on the MAIN DIRECTORY, but I can’t! If I try I get an error message.
Is the main directory the one upon “home”?

What is it?
I am very new to Linux…

Thanks for your infos

In other words it doesn’t allow me to write in main directory: permissiom denied. How can I change this status? And can it be done only by terminal or also by system menu?

Zypper is a piece of software that manages your software updates:
Zypper/Features - openSUSE

to use zypper:
Zypper/Usage/11.0 - openSUSE

Given you are new to Linux and to openSUSE, I recommend you read and brush up (become more familiar) with some of the basic concepts:
Concepts - openSUSE

Ok, thank you, I will see it. But, for now, how can I extract the software on main directory, please?

ok mnstudio, i am going to try to help you…but, i also want to mention that
MAYBE you can get clearer help through a local Linux User Group…see the long
list by country at http://www.linux.org/groups/ and see if there is a group
operating near you…MOST are friendly folks who LOVE to help new folks learn
how to use Linux…who, knows there may be someone close to you who can help
you easily…but, for now…keep reading…

> Ok, thank you, I will see it. But, for now, how can I extract the
> software on main directory, please?

if like me, oldcpu is confused by what your instructions actually mean when
they/you say “the MAIN DIRECTORY”…

because in installing software, there is no “main directory”…yes, there is a
root directory (represented by the first / in our path…kinda like Window[tm]
always starts with C: or D:, we always start with the root directory) and most
install programs install to the root directory…BUT, you do not have to unpack
the tar.hz file TO a root directory…

ok, so lets try to solve this:

you do NOT have to be ROOT to do anything i’m gonna help you with in this post!!

i think you now have a directory named /sennadown somewhere (probably) in your
HOME, with a tar.hz file in it…in other words the downloaded file’s full path
is something like

/home/YOUR-ID/sennadown/senna.tar.hz

i think you can open it…WELL…you have not told us, are you using KDE or
Gnome??

i will assume you use KDE (if you use gnome you use other tools and have other
menu items):

open Konqueror and navigate to /home/YOUR-ID/sennadown/senna.tar.hz

and RIGHT click on the file…up will pop a menu and one item will be Extract,
and then there are three options

Extract to here
Extract to sennadown/
Extract to…

“Extract to here” will unpack the file inside the SAME directory
(/home/YOUR-ID/sennadown)

“Extract to sennadown/” will unpack to /home/YOUR-ID/sennadown/sennadown

and “Extract to…” will open a new window dialog where you can PICK where you
want to unpack to (and if we KNEW what the instructions meant by “the MAIN
DIRECTORY” we could extract to there)…

i can tell you that it is HIGHLY UNUSUAL in Linux to unpack that file to the
ROOT directory–and i do NOT recommend you do that until we have had a closer
look at what IS in that tar.hz

if i were going to GUESS i would do-----well, no i can’t guess without reading
the instructions…do they tell you to run:

configure?
make?
make install?

if so, you do NOT have to be root UNTIL you run “make install”…AND, you SHOULD
unpack the tar.hz inside your HOME…right were you have it now, just unpack it
right there…

ok do this, UNPACK the tar.hz into the directory were it is, and see if there
is a README in the directory…if so, see if the instructions are the same, or
better than the ones you are working with now…

IF this program is really designed to run from /sennadown we can delete (or
move the files we unpacked in /home/YOUR-ID/sennadown, but i do not think that
will be required…

good luck: a good rule of thumb is to be ROOT as little as possible…NEVER do
as root anything that you do not have to…

A Texan in Denmark

So, seeing that you are so kind I put in the software instruction (i’m using gnome, not KDE) were they state to extract it in the root directory. Look at it:

**1 - After downloading the file senna.tar.gz unpack in the root directory and make sure it has been created the folder / sennadown
2 - If not yet been done, run the login as root user
3 - Open a terminal window and at the prompt, type the command: cd /sennadown and press enter to run
4 - Type the command: sh. / Installa.sh and follow the instructions
5 - After Installation should restart the system.

So, my problem is that I am not able to put the file on root directory because Suse tell me I have permission denied.
On the other hand, if I attempt to make installation leaving the file on /home/MY-ID/ all goes till the installation process start, and at this point I get: “no efficient device found on directory /sennadown”. This means it looks for the root directory, isn’t it?
So, what I have to do to install this blessed software? (and to think that I installed firefox in about 30 seconds…)
Thank you very much

You are making many Linux newbie mistakes. This would be much easier if you understood the nominal way to do things in Linux. … but still your comment clearly notes the difference between the ease of an install for an rpm and a tarball. The concepts link I give ( Concepts - openSUSE ) also makes that demarcation clear. It also cautions you to read a bit about concepts, before you start trying to do what you are doing. You choose to ignore that, and I understand your desire to start off at a sprint, to start off running … but in life, sometimes one has to learn how to crawl first.

Now for some specifics, I always download files (all files) as a regular user to /home/oldcpu/download, … or in the case of tarballs to /home/oldcpu/tars

I NEVER download to /root nor to / . Simply and bluntly put that is a BAD idea. Please excuse my bluntness in making this point.

From there ( /home/oldpcu/tars ) I will uncompress the file and start the source code compilation process as a regular user. Its only when I get to the “make install” process that I will switch to root permissions.

Almost all tarballs have a “readme.txt” or “install.txt” file. If they don’t, then typically the web site has guidance. Its very important one read that for instructions.

In the case of script files, they should have a “readme.txt” or “install.txt” file. Again, if they don’t, then typically the web site has guidance. Again, its very important one read that for instructions.

Because of the anarchy in Linux, and because most software is provided by volunteers, when it comes to tarballs there are no rules enforcing how software (that requires compilation) should be installed. Instead, many suppliers of software go their own direction.

That is why for newbies (on openSUSE) it is recommended one stick to rpms as much as is practical.

> 1 - AFTER DOWNLOADING THE FILE SENNA.TAR.GZ UNPACK IN THE ROOT
> DIRECTORY AND MAKE SURE IT HAS BEEN CREATED THE FOLDER / SENNADOWN
> 2 - IF NOT YET BEEN DONE, RUN THE LOGIN AS ROOT USER
> 3 - OPEN A TERMINAL WINDOW AND AT THE PROMPT, TYPE THE COMMAND: CD
> /SENNADOWN AND PRESS ENTER TO RUN
> 4 - TYPE THE COMMAND: SH. / INSTALLA.SH AND FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS
> 5 - AFTER INSTALLATION SHOULD RESTART THE SYSTEM.

first: i agree with everything oldcpu said…i also always download to a
directory i set up just FOR that purpose (mine is named differently)…and, i
then move them to another directory (one for rpms and a different for
source/other files) before i unpack, compile or run them…

now, i tell you–that package you have was NOT created by a person with much
knowledge of Unix, Linux, BSD or anything kin to them…i would NOT put it on
my computer…

and, i really do NOT recommend you put it on yours…i’m pretty sure i’m doing
you a favor by NOT telling you how to proceed in doing what MAY be installing a
program that may do bad things…by design, or by accident…

and, see the instructions last step, i can tell you that almost NOTHING that can
be installed requires a reboot/restart except a new kernel…and any program
that REQUIRES a reboot is automatically suspect in my mind…because to
successfully employ a “root kit” almost always requires a reboot!!

READ: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rootkit

why don’t you tell us what you want to be able to do with that program and maybe
we can point you to a program written by someone who KNOWS how to integrate a
program into Linux safely and securely…

chances are there are SEVERAL that will do what you need (and more) and NOT
charge you 29 to 130 euro!!! nor place your entire machine and the whole network
it is attached to at risk…

and, if you don’t believe me please contact that nearest Linux User Group and
ask an ‘old head’ there about those instructions, root kits and such!!

A Texan in Denmark

I believe you at all, all the more I decided to abandon this software (which is made, I presume, by amateur programmers)and buy a seriously-made linux software.
Thank you very much for your response, and thank you all who posted in this thread.
Cheers

I would want to specify that sennA it exists from 2001 and for the installation software also we have had use of dell’ aid of the SuSE Italy s.r.l. (now sluice) of which we were Partner with other company (created in the 1982 and sluice in 2005 with the constitution of the sennASoftwareClub).
The installation software e’ compiled with Borland Delphi and Kylix in order to work or with Windows XP that with the greater number of Linux distributions.
sennA it comes from the transformation of our programs written with Informix 4GL on Xenix platform.
In our <www.sennasoftwareclub.org> site we supply attendance for l’ installation on SUSE (from the 7,0 to OpenSuse 10,0) and on Windows XP. We do not supply attendance for other comprised PowerPC versions (you see mnstudio) as we cannot make test, but in the rows “Installazione.html” we supply the necessary detailed lists.
Thanks
Enzo Pittaluga
sennASoftwareClub

You are installing on PowerPC with VMware and we do not have instruments in order to make test on this configuration.
The folder sennadown contains the rows " Installazione.html" with important suggestions and you do not have to put it in the folder " /root", but in the directory it begins them " /“.
The rows " installa.sh” it controls between l’ other that l’ installation comes effectively started dall’ administrator of the system and does not give a customer who of it has obtained the permissions.
Hello

I’m fruitlessly trying to let you know that my MacBook Pro ISN’T A POWERPC . This type of machine is old. Now all Macs use Intel processors (so that they are very similar to PC machines, infact Apple itself released Bootcamp application which allows to install on a Mac the Windows platform (and it works flawlessly).
Nevertheless, as you state, I used VMWare application, and I know that this isn’t the same as Bootcamp which boots the machine directly from the System (Windows or Linux).
And I moreover understand that SennaSoftware couldn’t tested its application on Macs machines, so that it is obvious there can be problems.
Thank you all for your clarifications.

I do not know MAC and I had understood that you used the PowerPC. Probably the problem has had to the confusion that you have made between customer root and directory " /" , that it is the directory where sennA comes installed, in its turn, within the folder mysenna, that it comes created automatically. You ask aid on the forum for sennasoftwareclub.org or write to the webmaster and you will see that all it will work.