Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Firefox 3.0.1: Enable Using Subpixel Hunting!

Smile Firefox 3.0.1: Enable Using Subpixel Hunting!

Finally After I working on it in the last night, I success making Firefox 3 using FreeType2 Subpixel Hunting, By rebuild mozilla-xulrunner190 from rpm source with enable-system-cairo and enable-system-freetype2.

Before:

After:

And I upload this version as rpm, with mozilla-xulrunner190.spec, So you can build your own file if you like.
    link: (32bit version ONLY)
    zSHARE - mozilla-xulrunner190.tar.bz2

PS: If you want to build your own file, make sure that you must using cairo-devel Version 1.6, and you can get it from this repo.
    Index of /repositories/GNOME:/GTK:/Factory

In the last, unfortunately this version of cairo 1.6, and version 1.4 that came with openSUSE or with update repo. doesn't supporting to use freetype2 subpixel hunting, but I found that there is a cairo version that works with me very well. (1.4.*)
    http://software.opensuse.org/ymp/GNO...11.0/cairo.ymp
    And now my GTK apps such GNOME and other, using fonts as well

But you must lock this version after installing it, to make sure that openSUSE not update it in future with update versions that doesn't supporting freetype2 subpixel hunting!

To installing this version of mozilla-xulrunner190, you most installing it by force, because it is the same version that you using on yours system.
    Code:
    rpm -ivh mozilla-xulrunner190-1.9.0.1-2.1.i586.rpm  --force
    SuSEconfig
    I hope if there is any member have a personal repo. to make uploading of this version on it, to share it with all of you.

More information about freetype2 subpixel hunting on openSUSE
    SubpixelHinting - openSUSE-Community

By the way, I am only End-User, not development

Enjoy..

Blog Entries

Default Re: Firefox 3.0.1: Enable Using Subpixel Hunting!

before looks better than after IMHO
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Quote Originally Posted by 74141 View Post
    --------snipped------
    xulrunner190.spec, So you can build your own file if you like.
    link: (32bit version ONLY)

zSHARE - mozilla-xulrunner190.tar.bz2

PS: If you want to build your own file, make sure that you must using cairo-devel Version 1.6, and you can get it from this repo.
    Index of /repositories/GNOME:/GTK:/Factory

In the last, unfortunately this version of cairo 1.6, and version 1.4 that came with openSUSE or with update repo. doesn't supporting to use freetype2 subpixel hunting, but I found that there is a cairo version that works with me very well. (1.4.*)
    http://software.opensuse.org/ymp/GNO...11.0/cairo.ymp
    And now my GTK apps such GNOME and other, using fonts as well
    -----Snipped-----
    Hi

There is a big diffference between after and before... at least to me eyes and my LCD Monitor.

I have a couple of questions:

1. I'm using GNOME on a 86_64 Intel Desktop. How can I build it for my platform using the mozilla-xulrunner190.spec file?? ormore precisely...

2. have you already built it for x86_64?

Thanks in advance and Kind Regards

Luis

I've just find this post.

Now I'm trying to make mozilla-xulrunner packages with enabled freetype2 & system-cairo. If everything will work fine, I will add these packages to my openSUSE Build repository.

Thumbs down Re: Firefox 3.0.1: Enable Using Subpixel Hunting!

I've builded this package, but It seems not working. Also I gived a try Your packages, nad still no results.

I have installed cairo 1.6 with lcdfilter patch but firefox and all Gnome/Gtk apps still look ugly.

I've installed cairo form 10.3. After SuSEconfig & ldconfig, Fx and all of Gtk apps looks fine.

http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/2...ubpixelut9.png

Now, I add mozilla-xulrunner to my repo.

Smile Re: Firefox 3.0.1: Enable Using Subpixel Hunting!

And finally, mozilla-xulrunner with freetype2 and system-cairo enabled is in my home repository.

Here is it:
    Index of /repositories/home:/Fisiu/openSUSE_11.0

To get subpixel hinting in Firefox and other Gtk applications You also need install cairo package from openSUSE 10.3 Update repo:

Index of /update/10.3/rpm

Choose Your arch (i586 or x86_64) and download cairo and/or cairo-devel packeges and install them.

Hey... thanks a lot for this news... I'l try your repos, however I've got a question

@Fisiu

Do I need to install from both repos (v11 and 10.3) for my OS11 box?... sorry but It is not so clear

I also want uou to take a look at this post:
    Enable subpixel hinting for Opensuse 11.0 - openSUSE Forums
    and watch my remarks about hintnone and hintfull and if possible add some comments.

I'll try your packages right away (I'll add your OS11 repo to my repo list) and will post comments ASAP

Kind Regards

Luis

From repo from 10.3 You need only "cairo" package, because it has working subpixel patch. Cairo form 11.0 doesn't work with subpixel.

Thanks a lot!!!!!

Firefox is really impressive , I don't see a difference with OOo but probabily there is a slightly one (who knows)
    I turned back my /usr/share/fonts-config/suse-hinting.conf.template to hintfull and my Qt4 and Tcl/Tk apps are just as blury as usual with this change.

Thanks a lot and Kind Regards

Luis

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast