Yast is making me go bald....

I’ve been using Linux for years and so I decided to give OpenSuse 11 a shot, because I had heard good things about it. So far it’s making me go crazy and rip my hair out.

The problem seems to be YAST. I can’t configure printing or change the keyboard layout. The admin programs just crash over and over. Is Yast less stable than charles manson on crack or is there something seriously wrong with my install?

Another thing, it takes 5 seconds to maximize/minimize certain windows such as Gnome-Terminal. Others, such as XTerm run very quickly as expected??!!

I suppose my question would be like this: “Will reinstalling OpenSuse solve my problems or is OpenSuse generally unstable?” I’m currently working and studying… both full time… (yes, that’s making me crazy too) so I’m looking for “quick fix” rather than what I used to do which was to tinker with the system all day until I make it work. Sorry, I know it’s not an ideal situation. :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s very stable for me. Yast runs perfectly on my system. Could it be a memory error or bad install?

OK, thanks. That’s the answer I was looking for. I’ll reinstall and see what happens.

By the way, are you using KDE or Gnome? I’m wondering if this could have something to do with it.

I agree… Sounds like something got corrupted.
I run KDE 3.5.9
Which if you are going to use KDE is what I recommend until you get Suse up and running. And get use to things.

KDE 4.1 is maturing but still causing some problems.

Gnome is also a good and stable desktop.
Take your pick.

I also think that something is corrupted. But i suggest to launch yast in a plain console. I mean in an init 3 session. It should work in text mode. If it works that means that the graphical environment has gone. So maybe that reinstalling gnome would fix. Also try to install Kde to see what happens

> OK, thanks. That’s the answer I was looking for. I’ll reinstall and see
> what happens.

save time…

if you want stable, reliable, fast, mature. proven, up-to-date patched and
secured and STILL cutting edge (compared to all things M$) load up a 32 bit
version of 10.3 and KDE3-something (even if you have a 64, unless you plan to
actually work with HUGE files…they say, you can really tell the difference
once you open a db with a million . . .)

leave 11.0 and KDE4 to folks who wanna ride the sharp edge, and have the time
for it…

DenverD (Linux Counter 282315)
A Texan in Denmark

I agree with DenverD infact my main os is 10.3. But this guy hopes that he has not to install again. So we should investigate why it happens. This could help other persons. I think it is related to gtk since he uses gnome and also opening a console takes ages. This is why i would launch yast in init 3, to prove that this scenario could be right. And also i would like to have Kde 3 installed so now we rely on the qt libraries.

GNOME 2.22 on openSUSE 11.0 will give you a solid base, been running it happily as my main system for 3-4 months as soon as the RC came out.

Same goes for KDE 3.5.9 with openSUSE 11.0.

Just my 2cents,
Wj

bcrisciotti wrote:
> … this guy hopes that he has not to install again. … This is why i would
> launch yast in init 3, to prove that this scenario could be right.

sorry, it was not my intention to try to make it sound like your suggestion had
no merit, nor that mine was better than yours…

yes he said he hopes not to have to install again, BUT i quoted him saying “OK,
thanks. That’s the answer I was looking for. I’ll reinstall and see what
happens.” and my point was IF he is going to install again, then i’d suggest
he upgrade to 10.3…

if he does install 11.0 again hopefully he will read “Suse-11.0 Pre-installation
Preparation - PLEASE READ” <http://tinyurl.com/3vwrzl>

which suggest STRONGLY to avoid KDE4

A Texan in Denmark

I reinstalled while I was reviewing a chapter from my Systems Analysis and Design book.

You folks are right on the dot though. Originally updating the system took forever, gnome was slow… no, SLOW is more like it. Right now it’s zipping along very nicely. Updates that took an hour before took minutes to do, Gnome is working very well. I’ve set up my static IP and messed around with Yast and everything is great.

Idealy I would have liked to have figured out what was wrong, but sometimes a quick reinstall can save hours of troubleshooting. I took the quick fix route and it was well worth it.

It’s a very sexy system. :slight_smile:

Lol… good to hear you’ve gotten out the SLOW repertoire… :slight_smile:

Enjoy your sexy system!
Wj

> It’s a very sexy system. :slight_smile:

both hands on the keyboard please. :wink:

A Texan in Denmark

Just in case anyone else has this problem I’ve just ironed out the last bug.

The printer HP LaserJet 1160 was causing Yast to crash… well the printer config program in Yast to be correct. I tried the HP program as well and it wasn’t working either. Finally, I tried the Gnome tool for adding printers and it added the printer just fine. Really strange.

So, to be precise: gnome-cups-manager
is what worked for me. All other print setup programs failed and/or crashed.

Thanks for the update. Enjoy!!:wink:

Hi DenverD. No i had no intention to start a flame! I always keep in great consideration your posts. But you know i use english not as mine native language so my thinking could not be expressed correctly. But i return to agree: at the moment 10.3 is the choice! Great respect on your opinions

bcrisciotti wrote:
> Great respect on your opinions

wow! thanks…

and i like your english!! (i wish i was as good at a second [or third] language
as you are!!)

A Texan in Denmark