Thread: Backup software needed!

Default Backup software needed!

Hi Im searching a good backup software for gnome, I use in Windows Xp Syncback, something like that is what I need!

Ideas please

Default Re: Backup software needed!

Hi,

Well, tough question... there are quite a few out there.

However, I would stick to the old and venerable couple: tar + [gzip/bzip]
    Even your windows system will read it without any problem.

They are installed by default in almost every unix like system and they will do the trick for an average user needs.

Now if your back up scenarios are a bit more complex, like those involving incremental ones or network backups, you may be also interested in getting to know rsync or amanda.

Use the man pages to find details about them.

Regards.

rsync is a fantastic tool. It will syncronize folders for you, either locally, usb or network, tell it write to a log file etc, a vast array of options to find with man rsync
    Once the initial backup is done, it only syncs the changes, so it's fast.
    You can write a script for it, place the script in /home/yourusername/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts and then you can just write click on the desktop and do your backups.
    Best thing ever!
    Desktop - OpenSuse 11.4 64 bit. LapTop - OpenSUSE 11.4, triple booting with Win7 and Splashtop OS
    Linux is cool! Everything else is a VM.

rdiff-backup is worth a look as well.
    Space efficiency is astonishing!

Quote Originally Posted by aprietatuercas View Post
    Hi Im searching a good backup software for gnome, I use in Windows Xp Syncback, something like that is what I need!

Ideas please
    IMHO, you don't need to B/U the system; only your key config files. Of course, backup /home/yourname and there's many tools for that start with backup in Yast.
    Desktop Asus X-99 Viper. uefi & secure Boot, Win10, Leap 15.1; Laptop: ASUS GL752VW Optimus, uefi+Secure Boot, Win10, Leap 15.1 & T-weed and IMac

I agree that rsync is a wonderful tool. If you want to use it with a GUI, you can try Grsync. I've been using it for a while and it works great.

Yes, RSYNC is the way to go on Linux (I use SyncBack on Windows too, it's a great tool).

Of course, rsync is a nightmare to learn! So try it out with some data that doesn't matter until you have the settings you want and then put them into a shell script.

I've put two examples up on my Blog if you are interested.