Should it be mandatory to close a tread?

Hi all. Should it be mandatory that the user who started a tread also closes it with a comment like solved/unsolved?So what do you think? I prospect this scenario: i need some help, so i search this forum and voila i find an interesting tread. I read it: a lot of answers, different opinions on how to fix the problem and then… Nothing. So i cannot know if there is a cure to the problem i have. I understand that there is nearly nothing to do to oblige those folks to post a comment but at least this could be an ethical rule between the rules of the forum. Thanks for reading

We have had this discussion a few times but its not so easy.

There are a number of problems, … often 2 or 3 other users will jump in a thread and say they have a similar problem, and ask for help. So how can the thread be closed with those 2 or 3 people having the problem still (even if the 1st persons problem is solved) ?

Also, often the person with the problem will have it solved, but then they will complain about something related, and will keep asking more questions on the related topic.

Or even more often, one will propose an answer to the persons problem, and hear absolutely nothing back. No indication it worked. No indication they read the suggestion. No thank you. Nothing. …

So its not so easy to come up with a good approach here.

I ++ oldcpu’s response. And I’ll add that the whole point of the forum is to have interactive discussion. Unless by virtue of a moderation decision, I wouldn’t want to see threads closed. You never know when somebody with a similar problem may need further assistance, and such.

I also think that there are too many issues that are unique to a given user’s particular platform, and marking a thread as “Solved” could be misleading since the solution won’t necessarily apply to everyone.

Good thought, and I understand your POV, but I just don’t think it’s the best approach overall.

Just my 2c…

Cheers,
KV

bcrisciotti schrieb:
> Hi all. Should it be mandatory that the user who started a tread also
> closes it with a comment like solved/unsolved?So what do you think?

On another note, what does/should “closing a thread” mean to NNTP users?
How are we supposed to (a) close a thread, (b) notice when a thread has
been closed, and (c) react to such an event, provided we have a way to
notice it?

Thanks,
Tilman

From our FAQ:

Q:Are there any special considerations when using NNTP to read/post in the forums?
NNTP is a secondary interface to our forums and doesn’t support all the options and activities available in the main web interface. Threads on the web can and will be moved and closed. Be aware that if you choose to use the NNTP interface you will not notice this and messages posted to a moved or closed thread may be deleted without notice.

It’s rare for a thread to be closed here, and when they are, there are (should be) messages in the thread telling you it is closed.

As for messages/threads being moved, we try to keep it at a minimum, but just be aware that it does happen from time to time. Usually the moderator will put some sort of indicator message in the thread that it has been moved.

Maybe i was not clear enough. I meant that the user who started the 3d should declare that his problem has been solved. It is to me a way to make the visitors of the 3d know that the suggested solution is the right one. Otherwise they could remain in doubt: apply or not apply? I know that this is not a job for the admins of the site but it should be a netiquette between the users.

I agree it would be nice if every community member came back and let everyone know if the suggestions and help they received solved their problem. A lot of people do that as a courtesy to those that helped them and to let the community know it fixed the issue. However, mandating such activity isn’t the type of community we want to have here, even if we could, which I doubt we could. IMHO.

> Hi all. Should it be mandatory that the user who started a tread also
> closes it with a comment like solved/unsolved?So what do you think?

With NNTP there’s really no analog. A thread just dies of its
own accord either by being solved, not solved or posters just
lose interest. The way I personally watch threads of interest is I
set a flag (happens to be a pair of eyes in Knode) that lets me
see threads I am watching. When new posts stop appearing under
it, then it’s ‘dead’… It’s nice I suppose to see your question in a thread
header and a status of SOLVED, but what does that mean really?
Just because it’s the same question and it’s marked as solved doesn’t
necessarily dictate that the solution will work in your case. There may
be useful information in there, but I don’t see a lot of value in tracking
the status actually.

So at some point when the starter of the 3d decides not to give any kind of answer i ask myself: is that tread really usefull if i don’t know that the problem has been solved? I use to search this forum when i have a problem and then google. But i think that everyone is not searching for a lot of questions, instead for a lot of answers! It is only a matter of netiquette between us.

Your points in this thread are definitely well received … but as I think (hope) you can see, we have been around the block a lot on this one internally not only on this new forum, but also on our older forums before the merge. There is no easy solution, without appearing too dictatorial in marking a problem solved, which is something none of us want.

I definitely agree re: your view on net etiquette, and I do appreciate when users who find resolution to their problem, as a minimum post their problem is solved, and then even better, post (or point to) the solution to their problem.

> I definitely agree re: your view on net etiquette, and I do appreciate
> when users who find resolution to their problem, as a minimum post
> their problem is solved, and then even better, post (or point to) the
> solution to their problem.

I agree also that it is nice to see a conclusion, but in practice
it doesn’t happen too often. I think can think of a quick couple of reasons
why there are a lot of ‘drive by’ posters. 1) Some posters need an answer
quick as they are in crisis mode. They have no real desire to hang out or
contribute to the forum as a whole. 2) New users that need an answer to a
question, but really just become frustrated with the experience and they
give up…or need to feed the dog and just never bother with it again.

There are a host of other reasons, but these seem to be a couple scenarios
that explain at least some of the threads that suddenly end with no real
closure.