Thread: How To / FAQ Forum Changes

Default How To / FAQ Forum Changes

Hello, everyone.

It has been brought to the attention of the openSUSE Forums Staff that a lot of the community documentation is slowly growing stale and out of date. We want the openSUSE Forums to be an excellent resource for learning and problem solving, and having out-of-date documentation hampers that vision. We also realize that hunting through a large forum of documentation which may or may not be accurate is time consuming, and it would be much faster if we had a single location for up-to-date documentation.

As such, we are revising how the "How To / FAQ" forum works. The main "How To / FAQ" forum will become read-only, and a new subsection titled "Unreviewed How To and FAQ" will appear. The "Unreviewed" section will be open for everyone to post in.

Staff members will routinely go through the Unreviewed posts looking for well written, up-to-date How To's. When one is found, a staff member will make a copy to the main "How To / FAQ" forum. This new copy will be tagged and divided into categories like "Administration", "Booting", "Security", so you can find answers to what you are looking for quickly. All of the new reviewed threads will refer to the original thread, thanking the original poster for his or her contribution.

We should have this new solution in place within a few days; please pardon the dust in the meantime.

Thanks, and if you have comments or questions, please post them below.

~~ Andrew D., Forum Administrator
    I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. ... Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Default Re: How To / FAQ Forum Changes

just wondering if you have a plan to implement that on the nntp side?

--
    DenverD (Linux Counter 282315)
    A Texan in Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by DenverD View Post
    just wondering if you have a plan to implement that on the nntp side?
    There might be a few orphaned threads during the reconstruction, but once it's all said and done, there should be no major change to the way it's handled on the NNTP side. We'll be adding/renaming one or two NNTP lists, but everything else should essentially be the same.
    I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. ... Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Blog Entries

Just to add to what Andrew said, and to answer DenverD's question, the existing howto/FAQ forum is now set to read only and there will be a parallel "submission" forum, linked to the new "unreviewd howto/FAQs" open to the community. This will make the NNTP and Web experience roughly equivalent.
    My computer always used to beat me at chess, but it is no match for me since I changed the competition to kick boxing

cool!
    thanks..

--
    DenverD (Linux Counter 282315)
    A Texan in Denmark