Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Opensuse 11.0 hangs....

Default Opensuse 11.0 hangs....

Hello, I work already for several years with Suse, and now I tried the new 11.0.
    After installation and set-up everything seems well, but then the strange things starts to happen:
    After starting up for example yast or firefox or just a game, and closing it again, my Suse button ("start-button") is disappeared, and I have to add it again.
    That's not the worst thing:

My computer is an Intell dual core, I have nvidia geforce 7500 LE card with Opengl, and this card is correct set in the nvidia x-server settings and in sax recognized also with 3d acceleration.
    But when I start for example an opengl game like frozen-bubbles, it works for several minutes and then the whole system hangs completely. No ctrl-alt-backspace or ctrl-alt-delete, or even no alt-sysrq-r (or b) is working. The only thing I can do is turn the power off and reboot. In the log-files I can't find anything logged on the time (or just before the time) the system freeze.

This exactly same problem I encountered with slackware 12.1. I have also slackware 12.0 running without any problems. Slackware 12.1 works with the kernel 2.6.24.5 (Suse 11.0 with 2.6.25.5) and with both kernels I have the same problem: when using opengl, after a while (several minutes till half an hour) the complete system freeze. Only power off is possible.

On suse 10.3 I don't have any problems, everything is working well, no system hangs or whatever.

Till now I can't find out what is happening here. When I look to the memory statistics while running, there is more than enough memory (2 gb swap free and app. 1 gb ram free), the video card has 512 Mb memory.
    I suspect that there is somehow a memory overflow on the card if that is possible, i have no idea. Maybe someone can help?

Default Re: Opensuse 11.0 hangs....

What do you use KDe or GNOME ?
    Whas it a clean install or upgrade ?
    The CPU mine is Intel dual core too mine works good with 10.3 and 11 ,so it can not be the CPU
    RAM 2 GB more than enough
    Nvidia drivers for 3D can gives problems, mostly I use it for let say a week before installing the real NVIDIA driver.
    Last but not least a install some times seems ok but is not.
    So my suggestion go back to generic driver or consider a reinstall

regards
    dobby9

Thanks for the reply!

It's a fresh install and I use kde 4 on suse 11.0;
    I tried a reinstall, also checked the checksum from de iso-image.
    I also tried older nvidia drivers, with the same result: after minimum 5 minutes till maximum a half hour the system hangs completely...

But I'll take your advice and wait for a while till better drivers are developed or other bugs are solved.
    I stay by Suse 10.3 for so long, because it works perfect for me, what I can't say from 11.0.

Not sure if this is the same problem, but I was getting random hangs as well after doing a clean install of 11.0 (had been using factory prior to that without issues). The freezes have disappeared ever since I updated to the version of kde4 in factory. My laptop has an ati card, not nvidia.

mariarchi NNTP User

It looks like we have the same problem - Xserver dies when some programs are launched - openSUSE Forums

Do you have the same error in the log file?
    Launch opengl game, see it dying, and take a look at /var/log/Xorg.99.log

^^
    I was never able to capture anything in the log files I checked while I was having the issue. I don't recall whether I looked in Xorg.99.log, but definitely checked Xorg.0.log and Xorg.1.log.

Your issue seems similar to mine; laptop suddenly starts working much slower, less than a minute later, screen blinks off then comes back on and everything freezes. I was able to move my cursor after the freeze happened, but couldn't use the keyboard or select anything on the screen.

mariarchi NNTP User

Check 99.log, as far as i know it is the latest one.

By me is in the log 99 file also nothing special, other log files doesn't mention anything at all. (I mean the last 5 or 10 minutes before the system freeze completely, there's nothing logged at all)

I suspect that this has something to do with a memory overflow on the card itself, because it takes a while before the system freeze. (just before the freeze, there's still more than 1 gb ram and 2 gb swap free, but I can't check the memory usage of the card itself. Maybe buffers or caches are not cleared on the card, I don't know, it's just a guess.

As I said before: I stay by 10.3, this works perfect. Maybe 11.1 will be better
    ( and, beside this, I don't like the new kde 4. With kde 3, I have much more possibilities for arranging my desktop etc... and I don't like the lay-out of kde 4 - but that's a matter of taste )

By the way, i tried the last nvidia driver, and still the same problem:
    Suse hangs after 5 - 10 minutes...

Still no solution...

tuxuli NNTP User

Same Problem.
    After starting KDE-Session (3.5.9) with a "regular user" the system hangs completely, no debug informatio in /var/log/messages or /var/log Xorg.0.log

Starting KDE-Session with user "root" ... no problems
    Starting no KDE-Session, working with F1-console ... no problems
    Deleting ~/.kde directory of "regular user" and then starting KDE-Session with "regular user" ... no problems.
    Reboot Laptop, starting KDE-Session with "regular user" again ... system hangs

grrrrrrr............

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast