Disable Google search page suggestions?

When I start typing something into the google search box (not address bar) at the home page Google , there is a drop down menu of suggestions. This is very annoying, and I can’t find any options to turn this feature off. I assume it is a google thing, and not firefox 3. I turned off the awesome bar in FF, but it doesn’t affect this behavior. There is nothing in the google preferences about it. I’ve noticed that firefox connects to clients1.google.com to get the suggestions. Does anyone know how to defeat this thing?

Spoke too soon. It is a google feature, but there is an option in about:config to disable it(thank goodness). Search for

browser.search.suggest.enabled

** and set it to false.

Could it be associated with FFx’s Edit → Preferences → Privacy → Remember what I set in forms and the search bar.

I always uncheck all those options. It is a Google invention. Try to see if it happens to you. Go to Google and type something in the main search box.

I went to Google preferences, and it has an option “not” to show suggestions. It was already set up not to show them. I reselected the option not to show them, and it is not doing it now. Just a bug i guess. As long as it is gone:)

If you “clear private data” in in Tools –> Clear private data –> Saved form and search history PLUS do as suggested in previous post, then it will no longer remember your past searches.