Thread: KDE4 : Systray icons displayed not correcty

Default KDE4 : Systray icons displayed not correcty

After I got KDE 4.1 working under opensuse 11 64bit ( ) I have another question. My systray icons are sometimes messed up, no matter which theme I'm using. They look like this:

(the kmix Icon and the Updater Icon)

I'm using an Nvidia GeForce 8800GT and the latest modules from nvidia ( 177.13 ). Already got this bug on KDE 4.0 and older Nvidia modules.

Any idea howto get them shown correctly on evry bootup?

Thanks for any help!

cu
    Gargi

Default Re: KDE4 : Systray icons displayed not correcty

Hi cargi,

I will not very helpful because I have the same issue and it seems that every kde 4 user have this problem. Moreover, systray icons lacks transparency and it is even shown on plasma themes on kde-look.org...

But if someone have a work-around or info about that it could be interesting.

Kang.

I submitted a bug report relating to a similar systray issue several months ago and I haven't heard that it has been fixed. So I assume this is an area on which they are still working.

yup same here, Ive been noticing that. Sometimes mine change and turn weerd colors to.

I found out to correct it a bit is to switch to the terminal via STRG+ALT+F1 and switch back ALT+F7 . Using compiz fusion the icons looks a bit worse than not using the 3d desktop.

cu
    Gargi

From what I've read in dot.kde.org, it seems the fix is not coming anytime soon

I have a Dream

by Aaron Seigo
    Correction of the rendering problems in the tray icons...likely to not be in 4.2. to do this right requires either fixing GTK+ (whose developers have said they won't fix the crash in their toolkit when a widget is XEmbed'd into an app with a different colourmap; Qt works properly, so it is possible.. *shrug*) or changing the systray spec completely.

thankfully there are other reasons to change the systray spec completely (as in "the current one is a design that may have made sense 10 years ago but ceased making any sense a few years back"), and that's something i've got on my hit list.

however, i'm only thinking about getting a spec together by the time 4.2 is out, i'm not delusional in thinking i can also get an implementation of it and in wide-spread use before 4.3.