Video Flashes Black

Certain videos like .avi and .mp4 files tend to have random black flashing when playing. The same problem exists with the few Linux games that I’ve tried.

I haven’t, however, had any problems with flash videos, compiz-fusion, or the games that come with the distros.

I’m sure the problem lies in the fact that I have an ATI Radeon x1600 but I thought I’d ask and perhaps someone has an answer for me.

Oh yes, i almost forgot to mention that I’m on openSUSE 11 and I’ve had the same flashing problem when I was on Ubuntu and Fedora.

is this you?: HCL/ATI Video Cards - openSUSE

if so follow the ATI link there too: ATI - openSUSE

Yes, I have done all of that when i was trying to get compiz working. Compiz now works because of that, however, i’m still left withthe video problem

alright, I noticed that when compiz is turned off, the video is fine. Anyone had any compiz/video conflicts like this?

No Never
Sorry I can’t offer any more than that

Yes I had the same problems with compiz and ATI causıng video flickering in movies and apps like Google Earth on the 3 boxes I have with ATI cards. I am sure I read maybe on the ubuntu forums that ATI and Compiz have ‘issues’ ın conjunction with movies and 3D applications/games. I did have better joy with Metacity composite manager after I changed GStreamer to No Xv but still some graphical glitches.

Ended up just switching to no desktop effects full stop Compiz or Metacity.

Yes, my wife’s laptop has this exact issue. As a workaround, you can change your video player to use the “X11” output driver instead of “xv”. For example in smplayer, go to “Options-Preferences” and then hit the video tab and there is a dropdown for the output driver. It’s similar in most other players.

doubad;1855372 Wrote:
> alright, I noticed that when compiz is turned off, the video is fine.
> Anyone had any compiz/video conflicts like this?

Yes, my wife’s laptop has this exact issue. As a workaround, you can
change your video player to use the “X11” output driver instead of “xv”.
For example in smplayer, go to “Options-Preferences” and then hit the
video tab and there is a dropdown for the output driver. It’s similar
in most other players.

queequeg

queequeg’s Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=13080
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=391643