Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: bandwidth monitor

  1. #1

    Default bandwidth monitor

    I want to create a script that logs all incoming and outgoing connections to
    a file. Please help.

  2. #2
    Menes Narmer NNTP User

    Default Re: bandwidth monitor

    Cross_AM wrote:

    > I want to create a script that logs all incoming and outgoing connections
    > to a file. Please help.


    Cross: Why not take a look at installing the 'arpwatch' package? If you
    need something more flexible and granular, take a look at 'nagios'.

    --
    Menes Narmer
    menesofmemphis [at] gmail [dot] com

    "Unity and humility is the lesson all of history teaches."

  3. #3

    Default Re: bandwidth monitor

    Menes Narmer wrote:

    > Cross_AM wrote:
    >
    >> I want to create a script that logs all incoming and outgoing connections
    >> to a file. Please help.

    >
    > Cross: Why not take a look at installing the 'arpwatch' package? If you
    > need something more flexible and granular, take a look at 'nagios'.
    >

    Will check that out. thank you.

  4. #4

    Default Re: bandwidth monitor

    Cross_AM wrote:

    > Menes Narmer wrote:
    >
    >> Cross_AM wrote:
    >>
    >>> I want to create a script that logs all incoming and outgoing
    >>> connections to a file. Please help.

    >>
    >> Cross: Why not take a look at installing the 'arpwatch' package? If you
    >> need something more flexible and granular, take a look at 'nagios'.
    >>

    > Will check that out. thank you.

    I was thinking of a script so as to make it lightweight. All I need is the
    the following info logged:
    1. amount of download
    2. source
    3. time
    I will check both packages now.

  5. #5
    Menes Narmer NNTP User

    Default Re: bandwidth monitor

    Cross_AM wrote:

    > I was thinking of a script so as to make it lightweight.


    Cross: arpwatch will probably have what you need, then. If you need it to
    be even more lightweight, you could probably just run a cronjob that
    logs 'netstat -nt' and 'netstat -c' to a file. Take a look at the man
    pages for netstat to see if something strikes your bell. 'socklist' might
    even work for you.

    HTH!

    --
    Menes Narmer
    menesofmemphis [at] gmail [dot] com

    "Unity and humility is the lesson all of history teaches."

  6. #6

    Default Re: bandwidth monitor

    Menes Narmer wrote:

    > Cross: arpwatch will probably have what you need, then. If you need it to
    > be even more lightweight, you could probably just run a cronjob that
    > logs 'netstat -nt' and 'netstat -c' to a file. Take a look at the man
    > pages for netstat to see if something strikes your bell. 'socklist' might
    > even work for you.
    >
    > HTH!
    >

    I think logging netstat -c to a file and then adding the Recv-Q values for
    tcp and udp connection will do the job for me.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •