A few KDE4.1 questions

Hi,

I have a few questions re. KDE4.1:

1. I deleted the default icons (Dolphin, Konqueror etc.) from the quicklaunch menu at the bottom left hand corner next to the Start button but there is no Add Application button - how can I add applications to the quicklaunch panel? I can’t even find the quicklaunch panel itself, I can’t move anything to between the Start button and that desktop multi-screens switchover thing (forgot how it’s called).

2. I had Konqueror Super User and normal Konqueror in KDE3.5, now they’re both gone, I found how to make Konqueror to open folders by default - but how can I add it to the main menu and quicklaunch? I can only find it with Alt+F2. And how can I add a Superuser Konqueror as well? At the moment I can’t edit any system files from a user account, I need to start a new root session and only do that from there - this is inconvenient. A Superuser Konqueror was perfect for that job.

3. Is the bottom panel transparency implemented yet? There’s no such option in the panel settings. Is it hidden somewhere in the Personal Settings?

4. When I install new applications they don’t show in the Menu. Is this a bug? Changing the Menu into Suse Default and then back to Classic refreshes the menu some times, sometimes only restarting X helps.

5. If I right-click on an application in the main menu it launches the application, in KDE3.5 it only showed some options - can I disable that right-click launch anyhow?

6. When I search for new widgets from internet with the tool, click on Install, thy don’t get added - is this a bug or I’m doing something wrong?

7. Could anyone recommend a nice transparent system monitor widget/plasmoid if it exists? All ones I tried are not transparent, they all have that wide white border around.

Apart from these little troubles, KDE4.1 looks pretty good. The Folder View plasmoid is a great tool. And the Oxygen panel style is awesome! (although the clock plasmoid turns into a nasty dark thing which looks completely out of place and barely seen, oh well…)

Thank you very much, appreciate your help.

There is no quicklaunch panel per se. The application icons are simply part of the panel. If you’re in the (kickoff) menu, you can move to an application, right-click, and use the “send to panel” option.

If you right-click the “start” menu button (the SuSE gecko), you can select the menu editor. From there, you can add an application to the appropriate section. You’ll want to use “kdesu konqueror”, or pick konqueror and select the option to use as a different user.

The option may have been dropped because Dolphin is now the default file-manager (for better or worse… :wink: ), but you can do the same thing, by creating an entry for Dolphin to run under admin.

It’s dependent upon the theme, it’s not an addressable setting yet. Certain themes will make the panel have a degree of transparency, you can experiment with them in System Settings.

This one I can’t help with, because I haven’t seen it myself. If you’re installing apps from the repos, but they’re not appearing in the menu, you may want to file a bug on that one.

Again, this one I can’t help with, when I right-click in the menu, I get a context menu. Maybe worth a bug report as well.

Don’t know on this one, either, hopefully someone else can pipe in.

If I understand correctly, the “white border” should disappear if you “lock” the widgets (right click on the desktop for the option).

Hope this helps…

Cheers,
KV

For number 6, I also experience same problem, I cannot install new widget either using the install from internet or from file option. I install bunch of widget just to realize none of them available for adding. Looks like a bug. Dunno if someone already posted it yet.

NUMBER 6:
Its because this plasmoid feature its not FULLY implemented yet, does not work in Kubuntu 8.04 either.

else_where,

Thanks for your help. No 1 and 2 worked.

Can’t figure out what to do with the rest. And now YAST stopped loading from the user account, only from root. Then I tried ‘su’ from command line while logged in as a user, YAST loaded, but when I click on anything - nothing happens and no errors - weird.

Thank you, guys. I hope for 4.2 to save it.

The reason that you can’t download plasmoids from the web is that they need to be compiled first, and most have been made for the SVN version of KDE4. The devs ( I think this is the case anyway) have taken the most commonly used ones (Those easiest to compile on openSUSE’s version of KDE4) and rendered them into RPM format and placed them in the repo. I have tried to compile manually some of the interesting ones, some work, some don’t. Hope this helps explain things.

Okay, makes sense. That is it makes sense why it doesn’t work, but doesn’t make sense why they would include the internet option if it never works. Oh, well…

I have another question, Firefox 3 was supposed to be much faster than v2. Well, it takes about 7 seconds to start it on my AMD62x2 with 4GB RAM. It opens nearly instantaneously in windows on the slowest Core2Duo with 1GB RAM. Is there any way to make it load faster? Or it all may be attributed to the KDE/Plasma bugs or maybe nVidia driver?

Thanks.

There are many quirks and issues with KDE4, but that is simply Firefox. Firefox doesn’t utilize any Qt or KDE libraries, so any issues you’re having with performance are strictly FF related.

However, since FF doesn’t use Qt or KDE4 libs, it means that you’re waiting a bit longer while it loads (and it has GTK dependenices). On Windows, this isn’t the case, since frankly, FF is optimized for Windows.

I’ll refrain from taking the thread off-topic. Suffice to say that FF could be an entire discussion in itself. :wink:

Cheers,
KV

Thanks, else_where. But it’s also all other programs in KDE as well. If not 7, but it takes them quite a few seconds to open (Konqueror, Dolphin, Shell, OpenOffice to name a few). I read KDE4 was faster then the previous version, 4.1 made it even more faster than 4.0 (I think it did), but not fast enough if comparing to WinXP or even KDE3.5. Does your KDE4 run fast? Or it’s just me?

And a few more :slight_smile:

1. Is there a widget for Powersave in KDE4? You know the one used to be a plug in the bottom right corner in KDE3.5.
  2. When my screensaver starts it only shows in a small portion of my screen in the top left corner, the rest of the screen is white. Is this a KDE, nVidia or settings issue?
  3. (was point 7 in my first post) It’s actually a Superkaramba monitor, not a KDE widget/plasmoid (my fault, I mixed them up). I’ve locked the widgets but the monitor border does not disappear. So, could anyone recommend a nice-looking transparent Superkaramba system monitor which works in KDE4? Preferrably to match the black Oxygen theme?

Thank you.

Ah, and the worst annoyance is that YAST doesn’t start from a user account, only if I start a new session and log in as root. Do you know how to fix it? Thanks.

Oh, I got it, I edited the YAST icon properties and added ‘kdesu’ to the ‘/sbin/yast2’ command, and now it works.

Apps like firefox, and particularly openOffice, will take a little longer to load, at least the first time you launch them in a session. They’re not native KDE apps, and need to load supporting libraries.

Konq, dolphin etc. should load fairly quickly though. They’re almost instantaneous for me in 4.1.

You may want to open a bug on that, if you can confirm that they consistently take “x” number of seconds to launch. I’m not sure what else could be causing it.

Not yet. Kpowersave is still in the process of porting to KDE 4.x, so for now openSUSE is using the 3.5.x version.

nVidia quirk. I have the same issue, although it’s become much less frequent since 4.1. Probably only happens maybe 1/10 of the time. With KDE 4.0 it was pretty much every time. This is something that is being addressed by nVidia.

Hope this helps…

Cheers,
KV

Thanks. I’ve checked other apps and looks like there’s no pattern, some open quickly, some take seconds. And I’ll wait for the new nVidia driver, hopefully it’ll fix it.

But I was too quick to say I got it with YAST. When I added ‘kdesu’ yesterday, it worked, but today it doesn’t. I checked the ‘kdesu’ is still there. I removed it - no difference. Put it back in - still nothing, no YAST. But if I start it from Shell with ‘kdesu /sbin/yast2’, it works alright. Did this happen to anyone?

Anyone?

PS. Maybe it’s just me, but in this joined forum a question seems to get onto a 3rd page in a matter of a day or two and then doesn’t get seen by anyone and doesn’t get answered. Just want to say that the the old forum was much more useful in terms of help. Please don’t get me wrong, I’m not pointing a finger at anyone, just stating a mere fact. I’m sure it’s because of some many more users and questions, but because of that some may not get help. Some times I don’t have a chance to come here for a few days. Then it’s nearly impossible to find my own questions, they’re hidden pass page 10 and on.

I guess this can also be copied into the forum feedback.

linuxoidoz wrote:

>
> Anyone?
>
> PS. Maybe it’s just me, but in this joined forum a question seems to
> get onto a 3rd page in a matter of a day or two and then doesn’t get
> seen by anyone and doesn’t get answered. Just want to say that the the
> old forum was much more useful in terms of help. Please don’t get me
> wrong, I’m not pointing a finger at anyone, just stating a mere fact.
> I’m sure it’s because of some many more users and questions, but
> because of that some may not get help. Some times I don’t have a chance
> to come here for a few days. Then it’s nearly impossible to find my own
> questions, they’re hidden pass page 10 and on.
>
> I guess this can also be copied into the forum feedback.
>
>

Well, lots of traffic is good… right? Wouldn’t want it to be a desolate,
quiet place.

Granted, I read the forum using knode (but looking for better program)… so
the new stuff tends to stand out, the old stuff is still around and
available and it’s faster and easier (for me) to navigate and participate.

Loni

L R Nix
lornix@lornix.com

Hi Ma’am :slight_smile:
Claws-mail is great for a multi-purpose pop/nntp client. Good filtering,
actions etc… compile from source to refine it even more.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.0 x86 Kernel 2.6.25.11-0.1-default
up 11:17, 1 user, load average: 0.16, 0.12, 0.10
GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 173.14.12

> I guess this can also be copied into the forum feedback.

more likely the thread will be closed, or moved to soapbox.

DenverD (Linux Counter 282315)
A Texan in Denmark

! You know what happened? I might’ve clicked on the Cancel or Ignore button once right after I typed in my root password and guess what? That button has been made default! Every time since then when I typed in my root password in YAST prompt and hit Enter, it automatically pressed either the Ignore or Cancel button. Until one day (yesterday) after starting YAST from shell for more than a month (!!!) I decided to click on the OK button with a mouse and it worked! And now it works fine, cos you know, the OK button is now default.

Geez, it’s impossible to see which one of the three buttons is hilighted, and I don’t even look at the when I’m typing the password. Well, I’ll remember this for a long time :slight_smile:

PS And since when ‘d a m n’ is filtered?

linuxoidoz schrieb:
> PS And since when ‘d a m n’ is filtered?

The quote “Warning - may contain language” comes to mind …

Tilman Schmidt
Phoenix Software GmbH
Bonn, Germany