Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to sort Favorites in KDE4 Kickoff Menu

Default How to sort Favorites in KDE4 Kickoff Menu

Is there a way to sort the Favorites in the Kickoff menu in KDE4? I can not drag the icons to the new location, and the only thing I can think of is removing all the favorites and add them in the correct order.

Any ideas?
    Maxpoweron

Default Re: How to sort Favorites in KDE4 Kickoff Menu

It's kind of a drag, but for now, you'll have to manually edit ~/.kde4/share/config/kickoffrc and look at the [Favorites] section. The apps are ordered there.

Probably a toss-up as to whether it's easier to edit them there, or delete/re-favoritize them. You might want to open a bugzilla report as a wishlist item to have that functionality included; I haven't needed it, but now that you bring it up, it does seem like a logical feature.

Hope this helps...

Cheers,
    KV

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by else_where View Post
    It's kind of a drag, but for now, you'll have to manually edit ~/.kde4/share/config/kickoffrc and look at the [Favorites] section. The apps are ordered there.

Probably a toss-up as to whether it's easier to edit them there, or delete/re-favoritize them. You might want to open a bugzilla report as a wishlist item to have that functionality included; I haven't needed it, but now that you bring it up, it does seem like a logical feature.

Hope this helps...

Cheers,
    KV
    Yeah, could be options to sort A-Z
    or with MoveUP/DOWN feature
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

KV,

I edit the file ~/.kde4/share/config/kickoffrc and modified the section under Favorites. When I rebooted, the file reverted back to the original copy. Favorites did not change.

I will see look into submitting a bug in bugzilla, but for now I think I am going to delete everything under Favorites and add what I want in the order I want.

Thanks for the suggestion!
    Maxpoweron

cipher1024 NNTP User

If you log in as another user and edit the file in the original home directory (biff for instance), it works.

kdesu /usr/lib/kde4/bin/kedit /home/biff/.kde4/share/config/kickoffrc
    Edit file and save, log in under biff and bahda-bing, changes are there.

I'll bet when you log out, that file gets written with what ever is active and whacks any changes you made. So you have to get at it when it's not in use. I've restarted, and my changes are still there.

anamezon NNTP User

Wink @cipher1024

your idea works also if you log in using a different desktop manager e.g. XFCE, E17, whatever of course that is assuming you have more that just KDE installed...

You probably have to edit the kickoffrc file when KDE isn't running, ie runlevel 3. If you right click an item in the favorites, you get an option to sort A-Z or Z-A.

Quote Originally Posted by else_where View Post

Hope this helps...

Cheers,
    KV
    UNFRICKIN' BELIEVABLE! And you can't edit the dang thing succesfully while kde is running.

seriously though, thanks for the tip.

i've been trying to like kde on a new install. i use gnome on two other machines and it irks me all the time. it's amazing the torture one must endure just to configure a static ip address, back and forth between the gui and cli. it does make me lean more heavily on the cli, which is valuable learning experience.

seems more and more that the decision of which dm to use comes down to the one that is the least crappy at the moment. certainly not which is better. honestly, i don't know which of these two is worse. of others, xfce is ok for older hardware but, it still drives me batty. i really like e but, not for doing business related work.

oh what a human will endure to get away from M$. sigh.
    An open mind is little more than an empty receptacle, ready and available for all manner of refuse to be deposited therein. Rather it is better for the gateway to be only a narrow portal, guarded by two sentries named Skepticism and Analysis.

Is everyone talking about this drag and drop sorting in KDE4?

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/7/...ffavmove-1.ogv
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

Blog Entries

Ian. This thread is pretty old. kde4 was rocky when the original OP started this. But your Vid should help instruct @dicktater
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast