Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Khelpcenter for OpenSuSE: where do I find it?

Default Khelpcenter for OpenSuSE: where do I find it?

I need to install Khelpcentre to be able to use help in KmyMoney. Yast cannot find this package and neither can I with a Google search.

I'm using OpenSuSE 11.0 and KmyMoney 0.9.1-CVS.
    They said I wasn't fit to live with a pig; my brother stood up for me and said I was.

Default Re: Khelpcenter for OpenSuSE: where do I find it?

XEyedBear wrote:

>
    > I need to install Khelpcentre to be able to use help in KmyMoney. Yast
    > cannot find this package and neither can I with a Google search.
    >
    > I'm using OpenSuSE 11.0 and KmyMoney 0.9.1-CVS.
    >
    >
    > --
    > *-A country gets the politicians it deserves, but no country deserves
    > the politicians UK gets.-*
    > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > XEyedBear's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=2400
    > View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=391430

Khelpcenter should already be installed, assuming you have KDE installed, what you need to look for it the doc package for KmyMoney. Where did you get the CVS version from, I am not able to find it in build service the latest one I can find there is 0.8.9 (http://software.opensuse.org/search?...p=1&q=KmyMoney) but I can not find the doc package for it (http://software.opensuse.org/search?...q=kmyMoney-doc). I would suggest to look at where you downloaded your version of kmymoney and see if they have a seperate package for the documentation on it.
    --
    "We must plan for freedom, and not only for security, if for no other reason than only freedom can make security more secure." Karl Popper

Quote Originally Posted by XEyedBear View Post
    I need to install Khelpcentre to be able to use help in KmyMoney. Yast cannot find this package and neither can I with a Google search.

I'm using OpenSuSE 11.0 and KmyMoney 0.9.1-CVS.
    Have you tried running the command khelpcenter (not khelpcentre) in a konsole?
    While in konqueror hit the F1 key

I think the package is part of the kdebase3 and kdebase4 not too sure though

Thanks for these tips. Both Konsole and Konqueror can get me to KHelpCenter (with the required miss-spelling I never knew about this functionality before (being mostly Gnome user). BUT (aah! me, there's always a 'but' in the linux world....) when I try to access the application manual in this excellent KHelpCnter product, I'm told that there is no documentation for KmyMoney2 .....

So clearly some sort of documentation package has not been installed. I'm guessing that KHelpCenter is a sort of framework into which the developers of individual KDE apps. can integrate their own, specific, documentation -a nd I haven't done that correctly with my install of Kmymoney - right?

Any suggestions (perhaps the earlier post in this thread might be the way forward - to find out where I got my version of Kmymoney?
    They said I wasn't fit to live with a pig; my brother stood up for me and said I was.

You might be able to find a package like Kmymoney-doc or something similar with a "-doc" added to it. I think that would install the documentation you need. The description of the relavant package in YaST will let you know if it is documentation.

Quote Originally Posted by vendion View Post
    Khelpcenter should already be installed, assuming you have KDE installed, what you need to look for it the doc package for KmyMoney. Where did you get the CVS version from, I am not able to find it in build service the latest one I can find there is 0.8.9 (Software.openSUSE.org) but I can not find the doc package for it (Software.openSUSE.org). I would suggest to look at where you downloaded your version of kmymoney and see if they have a seperate package for the documentation on it.
    --
    I have KDE4 installed (I'm using it now as I type). Based on the advice in the post following yours, I clearly don't have the documentation package for Kmymoney2 installed. I actually don't know where I got it from. I found it using Yast (under Gnome; I can't seem to make Yast work under KDE4); I didn't make a note of which repo. Yast used.

Is there some way I can go back and find out? Or is there a specific package name foe the documentation that I should search for? I note with interest that you cannot find the documentation package for an earlier version of Kmymoney2. Is this something you are trying to solve now?

By the way, I have no understanding of the significance of mine being a 'CVS' package. Is there something I should understand here?

A quick google yield this link KMyMoney
    See #14 of the FAQ and some of the information on that site might help you configure.

Quote Originally Posted by vendion View Post
    Where did you get the CVS version from, I am not able to find it in build service the latest one I can find there is 0.8.9 (Software.openSUSE.org) but I can not find the doc package for it (Software.openSUSE.org). I would suggest to look at where you downloaded your version of kmymoney and see if they have a seperate package for the documentation on it.

OK, I was able to find that I obtained this package from the Packman repository. It came with a health warning (which I did not notice); words to the effect of:

It an UNOFFICIAL BUILD.

If you have updated any KDE packages from those in the original SuSE 11 build, then it may not work.

So, I guess I'm going to un-install it and install the version you are using - because hopefully that will come with a documentation package.

Quote Originally Posted by conram View Post
    A quick google yield this link KMyMoney
    See #14 of the FAQ and some of the information on that site might help you configure.
    Thanks for this link; sadly it doesn't tell me anything about the Khelpcenter information for Kmymoney.

The FAQ does point me to the source of the application. This is something I cannot use and it doesn't address the problme of where to find the missing documentation.

I still have found no package for this information.

Quote Originally Posted by XEyedBear View Post

So, I guess I'm going to un-install it and install the version you are using - because hopefully that will come with a documentation package.
    I filed a post about installing the earlier (stable) version, but this seems to have been lost. Installing the earlier version does not solce the problem: I get the same error message.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast