KDE 4.1

Hi Guys,

I am quite new to Linux, infact my first taste of Linux was after openSUSE 11 was released. I am now using openSUSE 11 with Gnome. I first installed it with KDE 4.0, but since my system used to malfunction quite often, I removed it and installed Gnome. Now, I would like to know if there is any way I can have both Gnome and KDE simultaneously on my system and get an option to boot into one of them??? If so, then how do I go about doing it?

Many thanks for your help.

Yes you can have both Gnome & KDE, several KDE even KDE3.5 & KDE4.1 (and more) on one system. Very simple;
Go to YaST >> paterns >> and select and install KDE4 base & desktop and whatever other DT manager you like.

When you log out you are presented with a choice, shut down machine or end session. If you end just the session and not shut down the machine (obviously) you are presented with a screen where you can choose to log in as a different user*, and in the lower left hand corner which type of DT session you would like: Gnome, KDE3.5, KDE4.1 etc.

*Make several users first, I usually have 3 or 4 users made, root & me, myself and I :wink:
I mostly open two sessions, one with KDE4.1 and one with Gnome, sometimes KDE3.5 and switch between them very quickly with: Ctrl+Alt+F8 (second session running) and back with Ctrl+Alt+F7 (always the first session running).

There are a number of ways:

Me in 11.0? I do a KDE-3.5.9 install (which I call my Production install) and do a separate KDE-4 install – which I keep up to date daily with the repros. Yast will set up the bootloader for you.

One could also do an install and in Yast > Patterns, add both KDE-3.5.9 & KDE-4 (and Gnome or any other available desktop) and after 1st boot & setup, simply “logout” and on the login page that comes up > select the version to log into from the context menu on the bottom left.

I’m sure there are other ways too:)

Thank you Cinq for the info. That is really nice.

Are all the software repositories and everything upgraded to the stable version now so that all the installation will be smooth? I am on 64bit edition and the repos that I have are:

• Main Repository (DEBUG)
  • network:telephony
  • Main Repository (OSS)
  • openSUSE BuildService - Drivers for webcams
  • openSUSE-11.0-Updates
  • openSUSE BuildService - GNOME:Community
  • Packman Repository
  • openSUSE BuildService - Mozilla
  • openSUSE BuildService - X11:XGL
  • Main Repository (NON-OSS)
  • openSUSE BuildService - GNOME:STABLE
  • openSUSE BuildService - OpenOffice.org
  • openSUSE-11.0-Non-Oss
  • openSUSE-11.0-Oss
  • openSUSE BuildService - Games
  • home:gwayne

All the above repos are enabled. Is there some other repo I need for installing KDE 4.1??

Please let me know coz I dont want to screw up my system just to get a taste of KDE4.1.
Thank you.

What exactly do you mean by add KDE 3.5.9 and KDE 4?? You mean install? Where can I find the patterns in Yast?? I am currently working on Gnome.

Now I added 3 more repos:

• openSUSE BuildService - KDE4:Factory:Desktop
  • KDE backports
  • KDE community

Even after all this in Yast packages, I still cannot see the KDE4 core application. Any ideas?

So is kde 4.1 final in the opensuse repos for us to download yet?

Not in the main OSS repo. It is suggested that we need to add these additional repos found here: KDE/Repositories - openSUSE.

But the concern of a few of us skeptics is whether installing from a development repo will make the software updater to update KDE to future unstable versions.

We are still waiting for more experienced members for this clarification.

Well I guess what we could do is add the repos that have the new version of kde 4.1, update to it, then delete the repos out of yast?

Or I guess we could wait to see if they add it to the main repo.

Well I guess what we could do is add the repos that have the new version of kde 4.1, update to it, then delete the repos out of yast?

I guess we could do that. But again, people have been having dependency issues, especially on 64 bit systems and since mine is 64 bit, I am still a bit unsure, until someone clarifies the issues.

Ill try it when I get home. I use 64 bit also and let you know what happends if someone dosent by then.

Hi all, well I tried the 1-click for KDE 4.1 on my 11.0 x64 all seemed to go well, rebooted and everything works… BUT
I now have what looks like the old 3.5 Suse 10.3 desktop. My cool new Plasma desktop is gone and compiz /w emerald WM is not running. Im sure its just a matter of resetting everthing, just not sure how to start Plasma.

@ jaybott - Let us know what happens.

@ bolomark - i am using gnome now, so i dont know. Lets hope some KDE users will answer your question.

A suggestion from Oldcpu: Video playback problem - Page 2 - openSUSE Forums

Might help novice users like me.

More information about KDE4.1 1-click install not checking proper dependencies & architecture bug could be fixed.

KDE 4.1 released today, mass dependency problems… - openSUSE Forums

Hope things work out.

Does anybody have any updates on this issue? Is 4.1 64bit edition working fine with 1-click install? Any further information about the repos being used and the dependencies?

More information about KDE4.1 1-click install not checking proper dependencies & architecture bug could be fixed.

KDE 4.1 released today, mass dependency problems… - openSUSE Forums

Seems like the bug has been fixed. Has it been incorporated into the 1-click installer???

https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=413150

Bug fixed

for me, the process seem to stop to perform installation… after a few minute… nothing happen…

remaining show nothing…

100% cpu

@nanosri
I just had a look and I get my KDE 4.1 from the FACTORY repo.
In your case, as you just started with openSuSE/Linux why not just backup your /hime dir and reinstall, by using a freshly downloaded openSuSE 11.0 DVD and when you are prompted select KDE 4.1. After the install go to YaST and select ‘paterns’ >> Gnome base & Gnome work environment, and while you are at it you may want to install the more stable KDE 3.5 as well.

Make a few users and go.