Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why am I getting Firefox 3.0.0.1 instead of 2.0.0.16?

Default Why am I getting Firefox 3.0.0.1 instead of 2.0.0.16?

This is becoming supremely irritating.

The Update applet tells me I have a security update for Firefox, specifially 2.0.0.16.

Then it downloads and installs Firefox 3.0.0.1 - which happens to be a complete POS!

Firefox 3.0 is a disaster - the right click menu doesn't work properly, it crashes on God knows how many Web sites that used to work fine in earlier versions.

It's ****.

But the real complaint is - WHY is it being mis-represented by the updater as an earlier version? Whose brilliant idea was that?

Now I have to go through the whole **** uninstall process again and reinstall 2.0.0.15.

Default Re: Why am I getting Firefox 3.0.0.1 instead of 2.0.0.16?

* richardstevenhack,

at a guess, you enabled the Mozilla community repository. Disable that and you'll keep Firefox 2.
    BTW, I don't see the problems you have. It is terribly annoying when I scroll, but else it works fine. I suggest you rename your .mozilla folder and start from scratch for testing purposes, maybe it is just some add-on acting up.

Uwe

I am sorry to hear that richardstevenhack has had such problems with Firefox 3; our experience has been the complete opposite: we upgraded to 3.0.1 recently with YaST; the upgrade ran smoothly and Firefox has worked flawlessly since then; we added download.opensuse.org/repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_10.2/ as we are running 10.2

Blog Entries

I haven't had any problems with FF3, but the updater doesn't upgrade between major versions. What probably happened is that you have both on your system and the launcher is pointing to FF3. You have to edit the launcher. Another thing is that the way the wrapper script is written, it is not possible to run both at the same time, because it will try to look for an existing running instance, whether FF2 or FF3.

FF3 has issues with fonts in KDE and the work arounds are not acceptable in my opinion. It has issues with flash and flv files on certain sites, many won't play, and many crash the browser.

I have used FF3 extensively, after applying all the work arounds just to get it to render fonts decently on an LCD screen, it certainly looked fine, but the crashes and issues with flv files is problematic in an age where just about every web site is using flash for something, and most are now using it for video rather then media players.

FF2 just works, no issues, no crashes, all files play as expected and I don't have to install **** from another DE to make fonts look correct and don't have to configure font rendering in another DE then run dameons in the background from that DE.

Making FF3 dependent on a specific DE is a huge mistake. The crashing and inability to play certain flv files is baffling to say the least.

Blog Entries

No problems with Flash here either. I installed the Flash player from the one-click installer for restricted formats. The recent update to X11 fonts seems to have improved readability. And I'm on a LCD screen also.

I should add that it's worth working out how to get FF3 working as FF2 has less than 6 months life left.

Check this out ken

Community Repositories

Blog Entries

Plays fine here. Not exactly a wallpaper I would choose, but it's your desktop.

Plays fine for me in everything but FF3. In FF3 nothing shows up at all, and there are a few other sites I have the same problem with, as are numerous other people with FF3 regardless of the OS they use.

Figured out the flv/flash problem.

Adblock was causing the problem.

Installing Adblock Plus works with no ill side effects

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast