Thread: Permission trouble with external hard drive

Default Permission trouble with external hard drive

I have a 500G external hard drive. As of now it has two partitions. The one seems to work fine, I can read and write to it fine. The other one though I can't copy files onto. I get a message saying 'The destination is read only.' It shows up under /media/My Book

I have logged in as root and have the same problem. I have also tried changing the permissions through nautilus but they never stick.

This shows up in the output for dmesg which looks like it could be the problem but I am not sure what to do about it

Code:
    FAT: Filesystem panic (dev sdb1)
        fat_get_cluster: invalid cluster chain (i_pos 0)
        File system has been set read-only
        fat_get_cluster: invalid cluster chain (i_pos 0)
    Dmesg shows more but this looked like the most relevant part. Let me know if you want the rest of the output.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Permission trouble with external hard drive

Try unmounting the device and then running this command in a console after you enetr su to become root:

fsck.vfat -a -v /dev/sdxy
    Where sdxy is the partition designation (like sdb4 or whatever, you can discover it with the root command fdisk -l)
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

You could go into Yast->Partitioning and set the mount point to /home/username, so that it will mount it to your home/user folder automatically on startup. Then chown -R user /path/to/storage

Quote Originally Posted by swerdna View Post
    Try unmounting the device and then running this command in a console after you enetr su to become root:

Where sdxy is the partition designation (like sdb4 or whatever, you can discover it with the root command fdisk -l)
    Thanks swerdna, this did the trick and I was able to continue copying files to the partition even after a reboot.

Thanks for the response BNG22908, knowing that is there now will still be useful.

Thanks again,

Joe