Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: KDE 4.1 / 11.0 / x86_64

Default Re: KDE 4.1 / 11.0 / x86_64

Quote Originally Posted by mikedl View Post
    Unfortunately, the x86_64 repository does not seem to be as well maintained as the i586 and there are numerous missing dependencies when using the DEFAULT 1-click file.
    It's an automated build-system, so it has nothing to do with one arch being better supported than the other.

The openSUSE build service is brilliant, but the one drawback is that if a package fails to build, it doesn't prevent other packages from being built. So you wind up with dependency errors.

The other issue is that there are still some dependency conflicts with the original KDE 4.0 packages included in 11.0, in that if a package is missing (or failed to build) from the build-service for KDE 4.1, Yast will try to resolve using the existing 4.0 packages, which generally leads to heartbreak.

For instance, I ran into a case where ktorrent was installed for KDE 4.0 by default, but they changed the package name for KDE 4.1, which results in a slew of dependency errors when updating, and Yast attempts to downgrade. It's nothing more than a burp that will eventually be addressed.

But as a rule of thumb, when Yast recommends deleting 100+ packages, it's best not to permit it. Just click "do not install xxx" that is causing the error. This often happens when you see a package "requiring kde4-xxx < 4.0.60" or some such thing. It means that Yast is picking up the package from the base repositories, which it shouldn't be doing for 4.1.

Just my 2c...

Cheers,
    KV

Blog Entries

KV is spot on.

So just be aware that you are venturing in to possible complications. It's always wise to keep a rock steady backup desktop to fall back on. I have kde3. Although I use build service repos for kde3, it is such a stable system- it never seems to fail.

kde4.1 on the other hand is very new. Packages have been shunted around a bit too. It will all settle down in time.

You might still find some packages installed from 4.0.4 build service which are newer than those provided in the 4.1 factory repo - they will show RED in Yast - software management
    You can safely update to roll them back
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

There are no failing packages for x86_64 or any other architecture. the issue seems to be an Zypp resolver bug for 11.0/x86_64.

Quote Originally Posted by mikedl View Post
    kdepimlibs in x86_64 is at version 12.8 and in i586 was at 12.9. For some reason the 12.8 build wasn't acceptable and it tried to go with the i586 version. There were other issues, but those looked fixable.
    In the current KDE:KDE4:Factory build is the version number same for both architectures so the buggy resolver will not suggest an architecture switch because he thinks "higher version is better".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12