kdm does'nt work

Hi,

I have installer kde4 version 4.0.99.x on my suse 10.3

packages base and kwin and so on, normally all needed

I can’t get kdm working ( i mean login screen with users choice, shutdown choice and so on) an also il did’nt have the kde4 theme startup (i can choice iy in the control panel but nothing append)

have you an idea and a help ?

The login screen seem xdm

regards

In yast i have change choice of windows manager and try kde4-kdm, KDM instead od kdm but these changes doesnt do anything

and i should said i have unistalled the hdm (kde3) packages, but with theses packages i got the same problems
regards

I found why but i can’t solve.
the file /etc/rc5.d/S12xdm is not updated for kde4. it still call /opt/kde3/kdm so by default when it got error it launch xdm.

If i choice gdm that’s work

who know how update the file ?:mad:

Hi,

I have installer kde4 version 4.0.99.x on my suse 10.3

packages base and kwin and so on, normally all needed

I can’t get kdm working ( i mean login screen with users choice, shutdown choice and so on) an also il did’nt have the kde4 theme startup (i can choice iy in the control panel but nothing append)

have you an idea and a help ?

The login screen is xdm that’s default windowsmanager when something wrong

If i put gdm, of corse that’s work

regards

In yast i have change choice of windows manager and try kde4-kdm, KDM instead od kdm but these changes doesnt do anything

I have look at the file /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/s12xdm witch is the starting file. i see in these only reference to KDM from kde3.
because KDE3 et KDE4 should be both on PC i presume xdm file should have a nex entry , for exemple kde4-kdm. Looks like the config file was not updated

• Enthalpie,

Yast, System, /etc/sysconfig Editor, Desktop, Display Manager, DISPLAYMANAGER

HTH
Uwe

Hope this helps
[Bug 353531] New: kdm of kde 4.0 doesn’ t use pam to authenticate so pam](http://lists4.suse.de/opensuse-bugs/2008-01/msg02676.html)

Thank’s Conram BUT

i am very, very, very, very suprizing to read that

if i change line for KDE3 to good instructions for KDE4, kde-kdm will not work and on the next package update the file will be modified by the system !!!
:mad:

It is up to you to decide. If you find a better work around let us know,
so we can adopt it just in case we like to use kd4-kdm. I used it in the suse 11.0 beta but it is not close to the kdm for kde3.5.With Suse 11.0 I have both kde4-kdm and the kde 3.5 kdm on my machine whenever I switch my displaymanager I don’t see any difference I have no time to play with it because I am busy with my garden coz it’s summer time and like to enjoy the weather outside working with my plants.:slight_smile:

Topics merged as they deal with the same problem

Andy

sorry

look at my message you can write kdm if you want but xdm run (in his actual version) only to kdm3 and if you want kde4-kdm you should re-write one other /etc/rc.d/xdm file, and i cant do that i ma not a developper