Warning message when I boot up openSUSE

I am running openSUSE 11.0 Gnome.

When I boot up I get this warningmessage:

User’s $HOME/dmrc file is being ignored. This prevents the default session and language from being saved. File should be owned by user and have 644 permissions. User’s home directory must be owned by user and not writable by others.

Please explain what this message means and how to correct the problem. I am fairly new to Linux.

Thank you for your assistance.

There’s a file called “.dmrc” located at /home/yourname/.dmrc
Somehow it got changed by mistake/error. Change the owner to “yourname” (your user name) and the group to “users”. Change the permissions to rw----. Edit it and make the contents to be as follows:

[desktop]
Session=gnome

That should fix it.

Thank you for your reply. I am unsure as how to make the changes you recommended. Please advise in more detail.

Thank you

Click your home folder. Then you’ll be viewing the files there in “Nautilus” file manager.

GoTo View → show hidden files
GoTo View → view as list

Now you should see the file .dmrc as a text documnet. [If you don’t see it (because it has been deleted perhaps) then GoTo File → create document → empty file → name it .dmrc]

Once you see it, R-click it → Properties → Permissions → There are three sets of “Access”. Make the first Read and Write, the second make None, the third make None. (that’s called rw---- :eek::eek:)

Now again R-click it → Properties and make sure it has Owner = you

Now L-click it and it should open in an editor (called Gedit). Erase the contents if any and type in the ones I gave you.

Don’t worry – it doesn’t take long, a few days to get familiar with this stuff.:cool:

Your solution fixed the problem.
Thank you very much for helping me.

You’re very welcome