Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No sound from Alsa in HP Pavillion dv6736nr

Red face No sound from Alsa in HP Pavillion dv6736nr

I installed OpenSUSE 11.0 x86-64 in my notebook. After installation I was able to get internal speaker and microphones to work. I do not have any clue on why it stopped. Tried to solve the difficulty on my own with no success. I then downloaded and executed "alsa-info.sh" the result was upoaded to: "pastebin.ca/1084381".
    Can someone help me?

Thanks.

Paulo Andr

Blog Entries

Default Re: No sound from Alsa in HP Pavillion dv6736nr

Quote Originally Posted by pandre View Post
    I installed OpenSUSE 11.0 x86-64 in my notebook. After installation I was able to get internal speaker and microphones to work. I do not have any clue on why it stopped. Tried to solve the difficulty on my own with no success. I then downloaded and executed "alsa-info.sh" the result was upoaded to: general pastebin - pandre - post number 1084381
    Thanks, according to the script your HP Pavillion dv6736nr has an MCP67 CX20561(hermosa) audio hardware codec.

What puzzles me, is I see the snd_usb_audio driver loaded. ... Did you plug in a USB audio device for a while? ... and then remove it? ... If so, have you rebooted since?

Did you also install a kernel update to 2.6.25.9? and if so, have you rebooted since?

Can you also provide the output of:
    rpm -qa | grep alsa
    rpm -qa | grep pulse
    rpm q libasound2
    uname -a
    cat /etc/modprobe.d/sound

I've asked for your kernel version again (above) as what the script shows me is a bit of a puzzle. The script noted you have neither the 11.0 original kernel (2.6.25.5) nor the current (2.6.25.11) but have something in between (2.6.25.9) and its important I get the correct kernel in trying to deduce what the problem might be. I've had users change their kernels in the middle of a help request before, and it can really screw up my deductions.

I also note you have 1.0.17 of alsa. How did you get that? via custom compile? or via an rpm install?

Thanks!

Oldcpu,

nice from you to be so fast! Here are the answers to your questions:
    =================================================
    1. Did you plug in a USB audio device for a while? ... and then remove it? ... If so, have you rebooted since?
    Answer: yes to both questions. I plugged two USB audio devices: Microsoft Lifechat 3000LX and Plantronics m214i.

2. Did you also install a kernel update to 2.6.25.9? and if so, have you rebooted since?
    Answer: yes to both questions. One clarification: I just tried Amarok and I have audio (sound) but microphone I still do not have.

3. ~> rpm -qa | grep alsa
    alsa-tools-gui-1.0.17.git20080715-1.4
    kalsatools-1.5.0-544.1
    alsa-firmware-1.0.16.92.git20080617-3.1
    alsa-driver-kmp-default-1.0.16.20080721_2.6.25.11_0.1-1.2
    alsa-plugins-jack-1.0.17.git20080721-1.1
    alsa-1.0.17.git20080721-1.1
    alsa-driver-unstable-kmp-debug-1.0.16.20080720_2.6.25.11_0.1-1.2
    alsa-oss-1.0.17.git20080715-2.2
    alsa-driver-unstable-kmp-default-1.0.16.20080720_2.6.25.11_0.1-1.2
    java-1_6_0-sun-alsa-1.6.0.u6-8.1
    alsamixergui-0.9.0rc1-705.1
    alsa-tools-1.0.17.git20080715-1.4
    alsa-driver-kmp-debug-1.0.16.20080721_2.6.25.11_0.1-1.2
    alsa-plugins-1.0.17.git20080721-1.1
    alsa-driver-doc-1.0.16.20080721-1.2
    alsa-utils-1.0.17.git20080715-1.4
    alsa-docs-1.0.17.git20080721-1.1

4. pandre@dv6736nr:~> rpm -qa | grep pulse
    pandre@dv6736nr:~>

5. rpm -q libasound2
    libasound2-1.0.17.git20080721-1.1

6. :~> uname -a
    Linux dv6736nr 2.6.25.9-0.2-default #1 SMP 2008-06-28 00:00:07 +0200 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

7. :~> cat /etc/modprobe.d/sound

options snd slots=snd-hda-intel
    # M71A.k5JPLyF5+X5:MCP67 High Definition Audio
    alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
    ========================================================
    Best regards.

Paulo Andr

Oldcpu,

I noted I was not precise on answers to question 1.
    Answer is: yes to three questions. Now there is no USB device plugged.

And one clarification on answer to 2.: The sound I have comes from the notebook internal speaker. I tried to record my voice with "Krecord" and with "Skype test call" using the internal microphone with no success.

Best regards.

Paulo Andr

Finally answers to
    ==========================
    8. I also note you have 1.0.17 of alsa. How did you get that? via custom compile? or via an rpm install?
    Answer: I installed using yast2 and it came from repository:
    download.opensuse.org/repositories/multimedia:/audio/openSUSE_11.0/x86_64/
    ==========================
    Thanks again.

Paulo André

Blog Entries

I noted I was not precise on answers to question 1.
    Answer is: yes to three questions. Now there is no USB device plugged.

And one clarification on answer to 2.: The sound I have comes from the notebook internal speaker. I tried to record my voice with "Krecord" and with "Skype test call" using the internal microphone with no success.
    OK, thanks. .... Please note I can not help with Skype as I never use it. I recommend you try to get your mic working with very basic "arecord" commands from a konosole, and remove any possible gui/application hiccups from consideration. ie. test with:

arecord -d 10 myrecording.wav
    or
    arecord -d 10 -f cd mysecondrecording.wav

note the "-d 10" means you are trying to record for 10 seconds.

I find the mixer setting in the alsa-info.sh script (that you ran) difficult to read. I do note you have the Digital audio capture at zero. Does the internal mic use digital audio? If so you could try turning that up.

You could also try runnning the tsala diagnostic script (it will ask for root password) with your laptop connected to the internet, and post the URL it provides here. The tsalsa script's mixer section is much easier to read:
    Code:
    wget http://home.cfl.rr.com/infofiles/tsalsa && su -c 'bash ./tsalsa'
    Reference your audio codec, I see you have a HP DV6736nr with an MCP67 (CX20561 (Hermosa)). I think the old CX5045, 5047 and 5051 were possibly renamed, and hence its possible (I'm not sure) that one of those model's will work with your CX20561. those are listed here:
    Code:
    948		Conexant 5045
    949		  laptop-hpsense    Laptop with HP sense (old model laptop)
    950		  laptop-micsense   Laptop with Mic sense (old model fujitsu)
    951		  laptop-hpmicsense Laptop with HP and Mic senses
    952		  benq		Benq R55E
    953		  test		for testing/debugging purpose, almost all controls
    954				can be adjusted.  Appearing only when compiled with
    955				$CONFIG_SND_DEBUG=y
    957		Conexant 5047
    958		  laptop	Basic Laptop config 
    959		  laptop-hp	Laptop config for some HP models (subdevice 30A5)
    960		  laptop-eapd	Laptop config with EAPD support
    961		  test		for testing/debugging purpose, almost all controls
    962				can be adjusted.  Appearing only when compiled with
    963				$CONFIG_SND_DEBUG=y
    965		Conexant 5051
    966		  laptop	Basic Laptop config (default)
    967		  hp		HP Spartan laptop
    Hence you could try to edit your /etc/modprobe.d/sound file for each of those codecs (ie for laptop-hpsense, laptop-micsense, laptop-hpmicsense, laptop, laptop-hp, laptop-eapd, laptop, or hp). You can do that with an edit that looks like this:

options snd slots=snd-hda-intel
    options snd-hda-intel model=laptop-hpmicsense
    # M71A.k5JPLyF5+X5:MCP67 High Definition Audio
    alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel

and then restart alsa with rcalsasound restart and test your internal mic. Note if you run "alsaconf" or go to "yast > hardware > sound" it will wipe out that custom /etc/modprobe.d/sound setting, so don't do that if you want a valid test. If the sound fails, replace "laptop-hpmicsense" with laptop-hpsense, laptop-micsense, laptop, laptop-hp, laptop-eapd, laptop, or hp ... etc ... saving, restarting alsa, and checking your internal mic each time.

You should also imho test your external mic.

Thats a lot to test, and I don't know if it will work.

If it fails, you could write a bug report on openSUSE and/or alsa:
    opensuse bug reports: Submitting Bug Reports - openSUSE
    alsa bug reports: https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/

Thanks, Oldcpu, I am posting part of the result as I did not finish the testing with the change in /etc/modprobe.d/sound file.

Results sliding Digital input all the way up in Kmix I got the following:

1. Run: arecord -d 10 myrecording.wav
    Running aplay myrecording a noise (scratching like noise) comes from the speakers.

2. Run: arecord -d 10 -f cd mysecondrecording.wav
    Running aplay no sound comes from the speaker (total silence)

3. URL from tsalsa: tsalsa.txt - nopaste.com (beta)

Sorry, Oldcpu, the link (which is embedded in: tsalsa.txt - nopaste.com (beta)) is: tsalsa.txt - nopaste.com (beta)

Paulo Andr

Blog Entries

the link (which is embedded in: tsalsa.txt - nopaste.com (beta)) is: tsalsa.txt - nopaste.com (beta)
    Thanks. I looked at that. The presentation of your mixer settings is more clear.

But I still keep seeing " snd_usb_audio " and " snd_hda_intel ". But I only see one card. If you have the " snd_usb_audio " then there should be two cards. What are you doing to cause that to keep appearing? What ever it is, PLEASE stop it until we sort this. Is there some "routine" that you are following to plug in/out some USB device that I don't understand? Or is this USB sound module because of some internal device (maybe associated with your web cam). This has me puzzled, and I don't know if it is an extraneous input caused by something you are doing, or if it is a piece of the puzzle.

Can you shed some light on this? ... as it "might" be important.

And one clarification on answer to 2.: The sound I have comes from the notebook internal speaker.
    Ok, so you do have sound. Its just your internal mic that doesn't work? How about an external mic?

Answer to your new questions:

1. What are you doing to cause that to keep appearing? (two cards instead of just one)
    Answer: I wish I knew what I am doing wrong! One question: I understand that USB headsets have their own DSP (Digital Signal Processor) isn't that what is being shown?

2. Is there some "routine" that you are following to plug in/out some USB device that I don't understand?
    Answer: I am just plugging the USB headset in the left side USB port of the laptop. Like I did before.

3. Can you shed some light on this?
    Answer: I wish I could.

4. Ok, so you do have sound. Its just your internal mic that doesn't work? How about an external mic?
    Answer: Trying an external microphone (non USB inserted its plug in the laptop front banana jack) did not give any sound ("arecord -d 10 myrecording.wav" then "aplay myrecording.wav"). After that I tried the USB (Microsoft Lifechat 3000LX) with no success either.

OK, as you asked ("PLEASE stop it until we sort this"), I will for your wait command before doing anything else.

Thanks for upur patience!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast