install the gcc

Hi,

I try to install the GCC, but i have some problems.
I use the Open Suse 11 Live Cd, and when i try to install the GCC with ./configure, show this messagens:

loading cache ./config.cache
checking host system type… i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking target system type… i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking build system type… i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking for a BSD compatible install… /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether ln works… yes
checking whether ln -s works… yes
checking for gcc… no
checking for cc… no
configure: error: no acceptable cc found in $PATH

What I do?

What are you trying to install gcc from? The gcc sources? How are you going to compile gcc without a C compiler (bootstrapping problem)?

Or was this an attempt to install some other software from source?

In either case you need a binary gcc package. Make sure you have the OSS repository on your list and use YaST to locate the gcc package and install it. Or install the Development Tools pattern and get the whole lot.

My english is not very good, but i will try…

I want install the amsn, but to install the amsn, i need install TCL/TK, but i need to GCC, but in this version live cd dont have the GCC installed, and I want this.

I do the download of “gcc-4.2.4.tar.gz”, and I want to install this, but appear for me, that problems.

As Ken_yap said above, an installatio of all the development packages is the smoothest way to do it. To do this, open YaST Package Manager. When the repositories load, look for the dropdown menu that says “Groups,” click it and set it to “Patterns.” Wait for the list to refresh and then look for the heading: Development. Under this heading, there will be a pattern called “Base Development.” Click this pattern and then click the “Install All” button below the list. Once you complete that, press the “Apply” button on the bottom right to install the package. With all the development packages installed, you should be able to compile almost any basic package now, and you will have “gcc” and all its dependencies installed as well.

Hope that helps! :slight_smile:

Wait - are you trying to install aMSN on the LiveCD itself or for your installed SuSE system?

If so, aMSN is available in the Packman repository - you should not try to compile it yourself.

hie ,
i have similar problem. but if i go to package manager i do see gcc installed but i dont see it really installed. If i try to do which gcc it says command not installed. i am using 10.3