Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broadcom Wireless Help

Default Broadcom Wireless Help

Hi I'm new to suse and am trying to install the correct drivers and firmware for my Broadcom bcm4306 chip set. I'm attempting to follow the following web page for directions:
    b43 - Linux Wireless
    However, I'm having a hard time figuring out how exactly to write the code for opensuse 11.0.
    If someone would please rewrite the code so I can simply copy and paste it into the terminal I would really appreciate it!
    The web page reads the following:

You are using the b43-legacy driver

If you are using the b43legacy driver, follow these instructions.

Use version 011 of b43-fwcutter.
    Download, extract the b43-fwcutter tarball and build it:

wget http://bu3sch.de/b43/fwcutter/b43-fwcutter-011.tar.bz2
    tar xjf b43-fwcutter-011.tar.bz2
    cd b43-fwcutter-011
    make
    cd ..

Use version 3.130.20.0 of Broadcom's proprietary driver.
    Download and extract the firmware from this driver:

export FIRMWARE_INSTALL_DIR="/lib/firmware"
    wget http://downloads.openwrt.org/sources...a-3.130.20.0.o
    sudo ./b43-fwcutter-011/b43-fwcutter -w "$FIRMWARE_INSTALL_DIR" wl_apsta-3.130.20.0.o

Note that you must adjust the FIRMWARE_INSTALL_DIR path to your distribution. The standard place where firmware is installed to is /lib/firmware. However some distributions put firmware in a different place."

Default Re: Broadcom Wireless Help

rlondre wrote:
    > Hi I'm new to suse and am trying to install the correct drivers and
    > firmware for my Broadcom bcm4306 chip set. I'm attempting to follow the
    > following web page for directions:
    > 'b43 - Linux Wireless'
    > (http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/...3#fw-b43legacy)
    > However, I'm having a hard time figuring out how exactly to write the
    > code for opensuse 11.0.
    > If someone would please rewrite the code so I can simply copy and paste
    > it into the terminal I would really appreciate it!

The code does not need rewriting for openSUSE 11.0. Copied directly, it would
    work; however, the code you need is already in 11.0. I'm surprised you didn't
    see this fix by reading this Forum, particularly the sticky entitled "Additional
    Wireless Bits". The bottom line is that you should open a terminal and enter the
    following command:

sudo /usr/sbin/install_bcm43xx_firmware

That script will do exactly what the code you were "trying" to get translated.
    If you do not have Internet access while running Linux, but only have it when
    booting another OS, or on another computer, then the sticky has a way to do
    these operations after downloading the critical file from another OS.

Larry

Sorry Larry I did see that post, however, it seemed too simple and thus far my experience with linux has been anything but simple. Not to criticize SUSE or any linux distro, I personally have a lot to learn.

Larry I also want to thank you, your one line worked.

Next, can anyone help me with WPA or WEP support? I can connect to the internet through my router when I have wireless security disabled, however with either WEP or WPA security enabled I cannot connect. I check use wireless security, select security type, enter the key, eventually save and connect but no connection. Any good threads or step by step instructions?

Yes, you do have a lot to learn. This is the first time I've had a one-line
    solution rejected without trying as it is too simple. Of course, the script
    behind that one line is pretty complicated. In Linux, one of the reasons we use
    the command-line interface is because the shells provide a really powerful
    programming language - unlike Windows.

To figure out your problem with encrypted networks you will need to examine (as
    root) the file /var/log/NetworkManager. As penance for not believing that a
    one-line solution would work, I'm not going to explain how to do that. You get
    to learn some more.

Larry

Here is the log but I'm not sure what I'm looking for. Note that I currently have my wireless security disabled. Should I enable it and then check this log? Or could you give me a hint as to what to look for. This is a lot of output sorry.
    Jul 26 19:10:07 linux NetworkManager: <info> starting...
    Jul 26 19:10:07 linux NetworkManager: <info> Found radio killswitch /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/dell_wlan_switch
    Jul 26 19:10:07 linux NetworkManager: <info> eth0: Device is fully-supported using driver 'e100'.
    Jul 26 19:10:07 linux NetworkManager: <info> Found new Ethernet device 'eth0'.
    Jul 26 19:10:07 linux NetworkManager: <info> (eth0): exported as /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/net_00_0d_56_7d_2c_56
    Jul 26 19:10:07 linux NetworkManager: <info> wlan0: Device is fully-supported using driver 'b43-pci-bridge'.
    Jul 26 19:10:07 linux NetworkManager: <info> wlan0: driver supports SSID scans (scan_capa 0x01).
    Jul 26 19:10:07 linux NetworkManager: <info> Found new wireless (802.11) device 'wlan0'.
    Jul 26 19:10:07 linux NetworkManager: <info> (wlan0): exported as /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/net_00_90_4b_6b_a2_a7
    Jul 26 19:10:07 linux NetworkManager: <info> Trying to start the supplicant...
    Jul 26 19:10:07 linux NetworkManager: <info> Trying to start the system settings daemon...
    Jul 26 19:10:11 linux NetworkManager: <WARN> nm_signal_handler(): Caught signal 15, shutting down normally.
    Jul 26 19:10:11 linux NetworkManager: <info> (eth0): now unmanaged
    Jul 26 19:10:11 linux NetworkManager: <info> (wlan0): now unmanaged
    Jul 26 19:10:12 linux NetworkManager: <info> starting...
    Jul 26 19:10:12 linux NetworkManager: <info> Found radio killswitch /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/dell_wlan_switch
    Jul 26 19:10:12 linux NetworkManager: <info> eth0: Device is fully-supported using driver 'e100'.
    Jul 26 19:10:12 linux NetworkManager: <info> Found new Ethernet device 'eth0'.
    Jul 26 19:10:12 linux NetworkManager: <info> (eth0): exported as /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/net_00_0d_56_7d_2c_56
    Jul 26 19:10:12 linux NetworkManager: <info> wlan0: Device is fully-supported using driver 'b43-pci-bridge'.
    Jul 26 19:10:12 linux NetworkManager: <info> wlan0: driver supports SSID scans (scan_capa 0x01).
    Jul 26 19:10:12 linux NetworkManager: <info> Found new wireless (802.11) device 'wlan0'.
    Jul 26 19:10:12 linux NetworkManager: <info> (wlan0): exported as /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/net_00_90_4b_6b_a2_a7
    Jul 26 19:10:16 linux NetworkManager: <info> (eth0): device state change: 1 -> 2
    Jul 26 19:10:16 linux NetworkManager: <info> (eth0): bringing up device.
    Jul 26 19:10:16 linux NetworkManager: <info> (eth0): preparing device.
    Jul 26 19:10:16 linux NetworkManager: <info> (eth0): deactivating device.
    Jul 26 19:10:16 linux NetworkManager: <info> (wlan0): device state change: 1 -> 2
    Jul 26 19:10:16 linux NetworkManager: <info> (wlan0): bringing up device.
    Jul 26 19:10:16 linux NetworkManager: <WARN> nm_device_hw_bring_up(): (wlan0): device not up after timeout!
    Jul 26 19:10:16 linux NetworkManager: <info> (wlan0): deactivating device.
    Jul 26 19:10:16 linux NetworkManager: <info> (eth0): carrier now ON (device state 2)
    Jul 26 19:10:16 linux NetworkManager: <info> (eth0): device state change: 2 -> 3
    Jul 26 19:10:16 linux NetworkManager: <info> (wlan0): device state change: 2 -> 3
    Jul 26 19:10:16 linux NetworkManager: <info> Activation (eth0) starting connection 'System eth0'
    Jul 26 19:10:16 linux NetworkManager: <info> (eth0): device state change: 3 -> 4
    Dell D500 with OpenSUSE 11.1 & KDE Desktop

Hey,
    Another newbie sorry I managed to install the firmware fine but I have a pavillion dv9605ea and I don't think it worked. I've had some experience with Linux on this laptop before with fedora 7 from linux format which is where I got my SUSE 11.0 distro.
    After giving up on the drivers nightmare I had i went back to Windows Vista the rolled back to XP and within a couple of months Im back here trying my hardest to understand how this works!

Any help would be most apreciated

(I have the specs from the HP webite but they fail to mention what wireless card I have)

few q's

1 ) what have you tried so far ?
    2 ) any error messages ?

to find out your device,type,in a console,lspci -v.

Andy

Thanks andy it worked fine originally I just didn't restart to let the settings save. Im getting on ok now but ill be sure to look for more help here when im stuck

Cool, glad you're up & running,now enjoy

Andy

Unhappy Re: Broadcom Wireless Help

I tried installing an XP driver manually using for my broadcom device before I tried the auto script that is mentioned above. The last of the output is here:
    "b43 firmware successfully installed.
    b43legacy firmware successfully installed."

This didn't work. I removed the ndiswrapper "driver" I manually tried because that is what worked in Mandriva 2008. I definitely like openSuSE 11 for laptop use since it has a battery monitor among other things. I just don't know what to do now. The external wireless switch is to the "enabled" position and the LED is still orange. In Yast2 the wireless card is recognized as "BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI" in case there is some small detail I missed since it is nearing my bedtime. BTW the hardline ethernet card works fine but is the only way to connect to a network. Thanks in advance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast