Compiling kernel as I type this, want to make sure.......

Alright I am compiling the kernel right now, just want to ask some thing about the configuration

I wanted to use the configuration file of the default kernel so this is what I did

make mrproper
zcat /proc/config.gz > .config

Then I typed in

make menuconfig

I didn’t do anything and went to exit and clicked that and when it asked to save configuration I did yes.

Is this enough for the new kernel to have the same options as the old one?

right now its installing with these commands

make ; make modules ; make modules_install

question is power management and wireless and stuff will work just like before with the same options? :confused:

the last thing is when SUSE releases a new kernel then do I upgrade or just leave it alone?

did you read this:

How To Compile A Kernel - The SuSE Way | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

it is for opensuse 10.2 but still pretty much valid today, I always found it quite informative.

When you compile your own kernel and have good reasons for it you obviously do not want to install the stock kernel updates. There are not that many i believe but they will overwrite your custom kernel.

Do you have special need to compile your own kernel? I am pretty much a tuning masochist and tweak everything until I like it but so far never had to compile my own kernel on desktop systems (unix servers … yes)?

stefan

yeah thanks for the reply and yes I did read that, so far I even got an error message

CC drivers/char/vt_ioctl.o
drivers/char/vt_ioctl.c: In function ‘vt_ioctl’:
drivers/char/vt_ioctl.c:1159: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
Please submit a full bug report,
with preprocessed source if appropriate.
See <http://bugs.opensuse.org/&gt; for instructions.
make[2]: *** [drivers/char/vt_ioctl.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [drivers/char] Error 2
make: *** [drivers] Error 2
CHK include/linux/version.h

compiling is still continuing, should I be worried?

i for one wouldn’t trust a segmentation fault when compiling a kernel.

yeah, u r right, I just restarted the compiling, lets hope it works better this time or I will change the config file and try making changes to it my self.

Alright I solved the error problem by typing just “make” alone and its done that but now when I type

make modules

it gives this reply

linux-xw91:/usr/src/linux-2.6.26 # make modules
CHK include/linux/version.h
CHK include/linux/utsrelease.h
CALL scripts/checksyscalls.sh
Building modules, stage 2.
MODPOST 2128 modules
WARNING: modpost: Found 7 section mismatch(es).
To see full details build your kernel with:
‘make CONFIG_DEBUG_SECTION_MISMATCH=y’
linux-xw91:/usr/src/linux-2.6.26 #

Alright I have done it, just went ahead with make modules_install and its worked :smiley:

everything is working fine, I am on the new kernel right now, all I need r my webcam drivers, anyone knows where gspcav1 drivers r?

webcam done as well, everything working fine :slight_smile:

alright wait a sec only 1 issue, apparmor doesn’t work anymore, what can I do about that?

and about hp printers and stuff, do I need to compile anything or does the kernel have its drivers?

Again I just checked, the printer works fine, I had given it to a family member so souldn’t check before so can someone help me with the apparmor problem and is it important for desktop use?

I wouldn’t be worried about AppArmor on your personal desktop. There aren’t many people out there creating exploits for Linux boxes, but if you were worried about a hacker compromising your system because of a buffer-overflow exploit, etc. then AppArmor would be nice.

that means I don’t have anything to worry about :smiley:

still do u know if its possible to get it to work?

You probably have to download the source for the module and compile it against your new kernel. When you made your kernel, did you just download a stock kernel from kernel.org or did you download openSUSE’s kernel sources?

I just downloaded a stock kernel but now I have a new problem with s2disk, its some kernel version mismatch, any idea what to do about that?

===== Sun Jul 27 01:26:34 AST 2008: running hook: /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/99Zgrub =====
INFO: running prepare-grub
Skipping grub entry #1, because it has the noresume option
Skipping grub entry #3, because it has the noresume option
WARNING: no kernelfile matching the running kernel found
running kernel: ‘2.6.26-pae’, probably booting kernel: ‘2.6.26’
ERROR: kernel version mismatch, cannot suspend to disk
===== Sun Jul 27 01:26:34 AST 2008: running hook: /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/99info =====
Sun Jul 27 01:26:34 AST 2008: done running hibernate hooks.
Sun Jul 27 01:26:34 AST 2008: running thaw hooks.
===== Sun Jul 27 01:26:35 AST 2008: running hook: /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/99info =====
===== Sun Jul 27 01:26:35 AST 2008: running hook: /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/99Zgrub =====
INFO: running grub-once-restore
===== Sun Jul 27 01:26:35 AST 2008: running hook: /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/95led =====
===== Sun Jul 27 01:26:35 AST 2008: running hook: /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/94cpufreq =====
===== Sun Jul 27 01:26:35 AST 2008: running hook: /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/80videobios =====
===== Sun Jul 27 01:26:35 AST 2008: running hook: /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/80acpi-fan =====
===== Sun Jul 27 01:26:35 AST 2008: running hook: /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/55battery =====
===== Sun Jul 27 01:26:35 AST 2008: running hook: /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/50modules =====
===== Sun Jul 27 01:26:35 AST 2008: running hook: /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/45pcmcia =====
===== Sun Jul 27 01:26:35 AST 2008: running hook: /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/30s2disk-check =====
===== Sun Jul 27 01:26:35 AST 2008: running hook: /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/20reset-bluetooth =====
===== Sun Jul 27 01:26:35 AST 2008: running hook: /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/10NetworkManager =====
===== Sun Jul 27 01:26:35 AST 2008: running hook: /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/06autofs =====
===== Sun Jul 27 01:26:35 AST 2008: running hook: /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/05led =====
===== Sun Jul 27 01:26:35 AST 2008: running hook: /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/01logging =====
===== Sun Jul 27 01:26:35 AST 2008: running hook: /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/00clear =====
Sun Jul 27 01:26:35 AST 2008: done running thaw hooks.

Problem solved :slight_smile:

If anyone is wondering here is what I did

open the file

99Zgrub as root, its located here

/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/99Zgrub

change the line

prepare-grub()

to

prepare-grub(yes)

thats it, everything works now :cool:

The stock kernel doesn’t have SUSE specific patches, such as AppArmor, but you can probably download AppArmor separately, and compile that module for your kernel.

Hi, again ok I just have one more question, if I cannont a wireless card to my desktop and I need madwifi I will compile it manually first right?

Then will I be able to use SUSE’s GUI tools to configure the card or not? I know this is a weird question but I am just paranoid :wink:

snakeeyes schrieb:
> linux-xw91:/usr/src/linux-2.6.26 # make modules
> CHK include/linux/version.h
> CHK include/linux/utsrelease.h
> CALL scripts/checksyscalls.sh
> Building modules, stage 2.
> MODPOST 2128 modules
> WARNING: modpost: Found 7 section mismatch(es).
> To see full details build your kernel with:
> ‘make CONFIG_DEBUG_SECTION_MISMATCH=y’
> linux-xw91:/usr/src/linux-2.6.26 #

That’s normal. Those warnings are false positives. Just
ignore them. The kernel people are already working on
elliminating them.

HTH
T.

thanks for clearing that up :slight_smile:

Yep. You can just download madwifi, make and make install and you should be good to go.

thanks, if I have any problems I will ask :slight_smile: