Andy

Default Re: unable to install "FlasPlayer"

thanks but it doesn't work
    flash okayer and plugin 9.0 seems to be installed but in fact not
    i tried to reinstall without any result
    what can i do?

i don't understand!
    flash is working under another user without any specific right and i can't install it under root

openSuSE has Flash installed by default. For example if you use KDE 4.x and try youtube in Konqueror it will work.

Firefox is a different story as for some reason it looks in the wrong /dir for the plugin. (or points to) and I have never been able to correct this.

I have tried in so many ways and wasted such a lot of time... here is the fast way: download and extract/install Firefox in its own /dir folder. Example download it to /home/mehappyuser/Firefox30 put the plugin named libflashpayer.so in the folder /home/mehappyuser/Firefox30/plugins and you are good to go !

I changed the desktop icon and had it point to, again, /home/mehappyuser/Firefox30/firefox and I have been happy ever since.......
    OpenSuSE Leap 42.3 / KDE 5.8 | Intel i7 3770 | 16GBRam | 120 + 80GB SSD's | Benq 27" | DVD | PhilipsToUcam 740 | HPpsc2355p | Logitech KB & mouse | 320 +160 + 80 + 80 GB USB HDD's | Fritz!Box Fon WLAN 7360 | (V)DSL 12 MB/s | SuSE since 2001

Many thanks!!!
    it works

Remember that Firefox was first developed for windows and hence will run autonomously from it's own /dir.

(open)SuSE has tried to turn it GNU/Linux, without succes. Flash & Java should just work OotB. period.

I read that several developers are turning their backs on GNU/Linux, as after all these years, the main question is still: "How can I turn on sound in my xyz distro on my abc PC ?"

I have been using SuSE since 2001 and each time I install a new version, I need to get the codecs and other *****, before I can start working, however I do it on autopilot these days. New users will think: "*****, this GNU/Linux is for geeks, doesn't work, is difficult, not usable, unstable, how happy I am to still have my XP or Vi$ta DVD".

Like that. It is a shame !!
    OpenSuSE Leap 42.3 / KDE 5.8 | Intel i7 3770 | 16GBRam | 120 + 80GB SSD's | Benq 27" | DVD | PhilipsToUcam 740 | HPpsc2355p | Logitech KB & mouse | 320 +160 + 80 + 80 GB USB HDD's | Fritz!Box Fon WLAN 7360 | (V)DSL 12 MB/s | SuSE since 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Cinq-Marquis View Post
    Remember that Firefox was first developed for windows and hence will run autonomously from it's own /dir.

(open)SuSE has tried to turn it GNU/Linux, without succes. Flash & Java should just work OotB. period.

I read that several developers are turning their backs on GNU/Linux, as after all these years, the main question is still: "How can I turn on sound in my xyz distro on my abc PC ?"

I have been using SuSE since 2001 and each time I install a new version, I need to get the codecs and other *****, before I can start working, however I do it on autopilot these days. New users will think: "*****, this GNU/Linux is for geeks, doesn't work, is difficult, not usable, unstable, how happy I am to still have my XP or Vi$ta DVD".

Like that. It is a shame !!
    Well, if you have been using SuSE for seven years, then you know the reason why it can't include some of the proprietary, closed-source codecs that you are referring to. Maybe informing some of the new users before hand will enlighten them; I know it has for those that I have told, and then installed the software for.

And just FYI, I have installed openSUSE 10.1, 10.3, and 11.0, and each time Firefox worked ootb for me with regards to flash. I did, however, select it during the install when prompted to. I don't know what has prompted your (and the OP's) problems, and I am glad you fixed them, but it has nothing to do with the original development platform, even if it is Windows.

Sure I know, it is legal here to download install and use the codecs. But it is not legal in the USA so I should suffer ? Explain... pls, why ?

PS
    I have done many installs over the years, but never have I been prompted with the question if I wanted to install Flash or Java or codecs.
    Do you have a screenshot of that ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cinq-Marquis View Post
    Sure I know, it is legal here to download install and use the codecs. But it is not legal in the USA so I should suffer ? Explain... pls, why ?

PS
    I have done many installs over the years, but never have I been prompted with the question if I wanted to install Flash or Java or codecs.
    Do you have a screenshot of that ?
    Sure, since my kids aren't asleep yet, I'll grab one or two for 'ya.

The first one shows the installation settings from the 11.0 DVD, and if you look down, you can see "Java ..." and "Misc. Proprietary packages". Just since you probably still don't believe me, here's a second that you can get if you hit "details" after selecting to change the default software choices (but note that I didn't change any of the defaults when there).

And those have been there since at least 10.1.

Anyway, a majority of the codecs aren't illegal, and most can be used freely, which is why some other distros package them in, and then we get posts here like "distro xyz r0xs cause they have dadada by default". Notice I don't say _all_ codecs are legal, just most, and some other distros feel perfectly fine trying to navigate the mine field that exists with unenforced patents (see mp3) or closed-source code (see atheros drivers, although not a "codec", they fit the argument). So I guess the point is that I don't have to suffer, but I do _slightly_, and flash/java aren't part of the suffering.

Note to all: in the preview of the post, it appears that my images are huge. I am not sure how to scale them down at the moment, and I'm not going to try to figure it out, although if someone wants to educate me, that would be fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast