Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: mount RedHat LVM (physical RAID) from OpenSuse11 hard drive

  1. #1
    LioNEXT NNTP User

    Default mount RedHat LVM (physical RAID) from OpenSuse11 hard drive

    I have five hard drives - two 320GB on physical raid attached to SAS ports (0 and 1) and carrying RHEL install, one drive (160 GB) carrying windoze xp on SATA port 3, one drive (400GB) on SATA port 1 carrying OpenSUSE11, and another 250GB on SATA port 2 carrying various data.
    Code:
    linux-1ipb:/ # fdisk -l
    
    Disk /dev/sda: 400.0 GB, 400088457216 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 48641 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x0008b9fb
    
       Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sda1               1         262     2104483+  82  Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/sda2   *         263        2873    20972857+  83  Linux
    /dev/sda3            2874       48641   367631460   83  Linux
    
    WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sdb'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.
    
    
    Disk /dev/sdb: 250.0 GB, 250059350016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0xf0302249
    
       Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sdb1               1       30402   244198583+  ee  EFI GPT
    
    Disk /dev/sdc: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0xfd40828a
    
       Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sdc1   *           1       18411   147886326    7  HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sdc2           18412       19456     8393962+   7  HPFS/NTFS
    
    Disk /dev/sdd: 319.9 GB, 319999180800 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38904 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x4c604c60
    
       Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sdd1               1       18411   147886326    7  HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sdd2   *       18412       19456     8393962+   7  HPFS/NTFS
    As you can see, the last /dev/sdd contains RHEL. This has logical volume management on it. And I have no bloody idea how to access the root and other data partition other than the boot. I can mount boot volume using:
    Code:
    mount -t ext3 /dev/sdd1 /mnt/some_name_here
    How can I mount rest of the logical volumes on RHEL from OpenSUSE system, especially root. Strangely enough, the /dev/sdd2 (8GB) is asterisked indicating as if it is active boot partition, but I get the boot volume mounted on sdd1. The above command does not help mounting the sdd2. It gives filesystem type error. I will finally get rid of them once I get my license files of imp softwares and data from it. Problem is I cannot boot from that raid set up. Its GRUB is completely screwed and I have not been able to fix it well (tried Universal Boot CD, UBCD).

    now i have tried various things as well like

    Code:
    vgchange -ay
    vgdisplay -v
    
    
    mkdir -p /mnt/VolGroup00/LogVol00
    mount /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /mnt/VolGroup/LogVol00
    None of these things helps. I always get "no logical volumes found".

    Please. I am well versed with xp and mac, but totally linux noob.

  2. #2
    LioNEXT NNTP User

    Default Re: mount RedHat LVM (physical RAID) from OpenSuse11 hard dr

    Come on folks, no one. No one has any idea about mounting LVM. Please help.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Oklahoma, US
    Posts
    822

    Default Re: mount RedHat LVM (physical RAID) from OpenSuse11 hard drive

    LioNEXT wrote:

    >
    > I have five hard drives - two 320GB on physical raid attached to SAS
    > ports (0 and 1) and carrying RHEL install, one drive (160 GB) carrying
    > windoze xp on SATA port 3, one drive (400GB) on SATA port 1 carrying
    > OpenSUSE11, and another 250GB on SATA port 2 carrying various data.
    >
    > Code:
    > --------------------
    >
    > linux-1ipb:/ # fdisk -l
    >
    > Disk /dev/sda: 400.0 GB, 400088457216 bytes
    > 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 48641 cylinders
    > Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    > Disk identifier: 0x0008b9fb
    >
    > Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    > /dev/sda1 1 262 2104483+ 82 Linux swap /
    > Solaris
    > /dev/sda2 * 263 2873 20972857+ 83 Linux
    > /dev/sda3 2874 48641 367631460 83 Linux
    >
    > WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sdb'! The util
    > fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.
    >
    >
    > Disk /dev/sdb: 250.0 GB, 250059350016 bytes
    > 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
    > Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    > Disk identifier: 0xf0302249
    >
    > Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    > /dev/sdb1 1 30402 244198583+ ee EFI GPT
    >
    > Disk /dev/sdc: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
    > 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
    > Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    > Disk identifier: 0xfd40828a
    >
    > Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    > /dev/sdc1 * 1 18411 147886326 7 HPFS/NTFS
    > /dev/sdc2 18412 19456 8393962+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
    >
    > Disk /dev/sdd: 319.9 GB, 319999180800 bytes
    > 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38904 cylinders
    > Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    > Disk identifier: 0x4c604c60
    >
    > Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    > /dev/sdd1 1 18411 147886326 7 HPFS/NTFS
    > /dev/sdd2 * 18412 19456 8393962+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
    >
    > --------------------
    >
    >
    > As you can see, the last /dev/sdd contains RHEL. This has logical
    > volume management on it. And I have no bloody idea how to access the
    > root and other data partition other than the boot. I can mount boot
    > volume using:
    >
    > Code:
    > --------------------
    >
    > mount -t ext3 /dev/sdd1 /mnt/some_name_here
    >
    > --------------------
    >
    >
    > How can I mount rest of the logical volumes on RHEL from OpenSUSE
    > system, especially root. Strangely enough, the /dev/sdd2 (8GB) is
    > asterisked indicating as if it is active boot partition, but I get the
    > boot volume mounted on sdd1. The above command does not help mounting
    > the sdd2. It gives filesystem type error. I will finally get rid of
    > them once I get my license files of imp softwares and data from it.
    > *Problem is I cannot boot from that raid set up.* Its GRUB is
    > completely screwed and I have not been able to fix it well (tried
    > Universal Boot CD, UBCD).
    >
    > now i have tried various things as well like
    >
    >
    > Code:
    > --------------------
    >
    > vgchange -ay
    > vgdisplay -v
    >
    >
    > mkdir -p /mnt/VolGroup00/LogVol00
    > mount /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /mnt/VolGroup/LogVol00
    >
    > --------------------
    >
    >
    > None of these things helps. I always get "no logical volumes found".
    >
    > *Please. I am well versed with xp and mac, but totally linux noob. *
    >
    >


    Please check the output of 'fdisk -l' again, it looks like your /dev/sdd is
    partitioned EXACTLY like /dev/sdc. Something's not right.

    Was/Is the raid hardware or software driven? I mean, was the raid set up in
    a bios config somewhere, or was it created using the md/lvm utilities.


    --
    L R Nix
    lornix@lornix.com

  4. #4
    LioNEXT NNTP User

    Default Re: mount RedHat LVM (physical RAID) from OpenSuse11 hard dr

    Regarding HPFS/NTFS,
    That is what even I could not understand and neither do some of the IT folks at my office. This was created by an earlier IT staff person here and I am puzzled a lot by its format type. Although, I have searched on internet and I have seen few other people also have got like this. It does not affect anything. In actuality, I am able to mount the sdd1 partition as "ext3" by

    mount -t ext3 /dev/sdd1 /mnt/linux
    This partition opens up the data from the boot partition /boot.

    But I cannot do so for the sdd2 (which interestingly is asterisk marked; meaning active boot partition)

    On top of that, it was set up as LVM, so it is making my life hard to figure out the best course.

    For your other question, I think it is probably hardware based. In the LSI configuration utility, I can manage its set up and sync it. However, one thing I could not understand so far is if in BIOS, I set "Individual IDE controller" mode rather than "RAID+AHCI", the raid still works.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Oklahoma, US
    Posts
    822

    Default Re: mount RedHat LVM (physical RAID) from OpenSuse11 hard drive

    LioNEXT wrote:

    >
    > Regarding HPFS/NTFS,
    > That is what even I could not understand and neither do some of the IT
    > folks at my office. This was created by an earlier IT staff person here
    > and I am puzzled a lot by its format type. Although, I have searched on
    > internet and I have seen few other people also have got like this. It
    > does not affect anything. In actuality, I am able to mount the sdd1
    > partition as "ext3" by
    >
    > mount -t ext3 /dev/sdd1 /mnt/linux
    > This partition opens up the data from the boot partition /boot.
    >
    > But I cannot do so for the sdd2 (which interestingly is asterisk
    > marked; meaning active boot partition)
    >
    > On top of that, it was set up as LVM, so it is making my life hard to
    > figure out the best course.
    >
    > For your other question, I think it is probably hardware based. In the
    > LSI configuration utility, I can manage its set up and sync it.
    > However, one thing I could not understand so far is if in BIOS, I set
    > "Individual IDE controller" mode rather than "RAID+AHCI", the raid
    > still works.
    >
    >


    You might try the 'gpart' command, it scans the hard drive and attempts
    to 'guess' the partition types and allow you to rebuild a drive.

    It'll take a while to run, but will likely be worth it. It's quite possible
    that the partition table is fubar'd, and you can mount sdd1 simply because
    it starts where ALL partitions start on the drive, cylinder 1. sdd2's
    partition entry may not be proper, and thus points to a spot which does not
    contain filesystem data.

    LVM partitions need to be type '8E', otherwise they'll not be found, so
    the 'type 7' indication is suspect.

    give gpart a try:

    gpart /dev/sdd

    also, have a look at the man page (man gpart)

    Loni
    --
    L R Nix
    lornix@lornix.com

  6. #6
    LioNEXT NNTP User

    Default Re: mount RedHat LVM (physical RAID) from OpenSuse11 hard dr

    Loni, thanx for the reply.

    I did that and got nothing. On the 160 GB one, it showed all the partitions and partition type. so did it on the opensuse hard disk. But with this raid: it says "Begin Scan" and stays there forever. I tried up to like 40 min and gave up.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Oklahoma, US
    Posts
    822

    Default Re: mount RedHat LVM (physical RAID) from OpenSuse11 hard drive

    LioNEXT wrote:

    >
    > Loni, thanx for the reply.
    >
    > I did that and got nothing. On the 160 GB one, it showed all the
    > partitions and partition type. so did it on the opensuse hard disk. But
    > with this raid: it says "Begin Scan" and stays there forever. I tried up
    > to like 40 min and gave up.
    >
    >


    Big drive... probably take a while to scan. {Grin}

    Some tips to make it scan faster... consider that partitions are 'by
    definition' supposed to start on cylinder boundries... so by making gpart
    go by cylinders rather than sectors, you can make it run... oh... lots and
    lots faster (give or take!)

    gpart -v -n c /dev/xxx

    -v = verbose, more to watch (fun!!) (not!)

    -n c = scan by cylinders (s=sector,h=head,c=cyl)

    {Sigh}

    If that doesn't give anything useful, I'd say it's time to start grepping
    the hard drive for remembered patterns of text and dig around the drive for
    your information. (I've done this several times before, it's, uh, annoying)

    There are some programs out there which can recognize magic numbers and
    extract files as it finds them. Of course, now that I mention them, their
    names flutter away from me.

    Searched a bit:

    This is "Magic Rescue", magic number based file recovery
    http://www.student.dtu.dk/~s042078/magicrescue/

    Foremost (claims to be used by the USAF!!)
    http://foremost.sourceforge.net/

    And a bootable rescue CD I use *VERY* frequently
    http://www.inside-security.de/INSERT_en.html
    Contains gpart, partimage, testdisk, foremost and recover.

    INSERT is the one I'd try, boot it up and see what it can find. I use it to
    fix Windows systems along with Linux systems, it's quite useful.


    --
    L R Nix
    lornix@lornix.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •