Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Problems with init 5 on new install

  1. #1

    Question Problems with init 5 on new install

    Alrighty, I messed up a few things and decided to do a fresh install of openSUSE 11.0 w/ KDE 3.5. After the installation was complete, I tried to do an initial boot and after the grub screen, I saw the services starting...done, etc. I would then see:

    Master Resource Control: runlevel 5 has been reached

    Skipped services in runlevel 5: acpid avahi-daemon avahi-dnsconfd splash

    Any ideas on how to get the computer to boot into KDE?

    HP Pavillion DV7-1273cl, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Intel Core2Duo 2.2Ghz, Intel Pro Wireless N, 512MB GeForce 9700, 64bit Linux Mint 8 and 64bit openSuSE 11.2

  2. #2
    ab@novell.com NNTP User

    Default Re: Problems with init 5 on new install

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    Anything in the relevant log files (/var/log/messages always applies;
    /var/log/Xorg.0.log, etc.)? If you login at the shell and run 'startx'
    does anything work? It may be a misconfiguration of your
    resolution/refresh rate for your hardware... Check the logs and see if
    anything shows up there for starters.

    Good luck.





    barryhenry76 wrote:
    | Alrighty, I messed up a few things and decided to do a fresh install of
    | openSUSE 11.0 w/ KDE 3.5. After the installation was complete, I tried
    | to do an initial boot and after the grub screen, I saw the services
    | starting...done, etc. I would then see:
    |
    | Master Resource Control: runlevel 5 has been reached
    |
    | Skipped services in runlevel 5: acpid avahi-daemon avahi-dnsconfd
    | splash
    |
    | Any ideas on how to get the computer to boot into KDE?
    |
    |
    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.2 (GNU/Linux)
    Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

    iD8DBQFIiWbj3s42bA80+9kRAo6DAJ9VwtXpaoj2l5QjJhb5TCqb2LYfkACfVEaA
    a8GuC47cElHkA+wlOcTIYgg=
    =fp/x
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

  3. #3

    Default Re: Problems with init 5 on new install

    This can happen if you have the wrong video drivers.

    try typing sax2 -r and see if will update sax and then load kde.

  4. #4

    Question Re: Problems with init 5 on new install

    I tried:
    Code:
    #startx
    xauth:  creating new authority file /root/.serverauth.4687
    
    X: error while loading shared liraries: libXdmcp.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    giving up.
    xinit:  No such file or directory (errno 2): unable to connect to X server
    xinit:  No such process (errno3): Server error.
    Does this make any sense to anyone?

    I tried #sax2 -r

    it returned "bash: sax2: command not found"

    HP Pavillion DV7-1273cl, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Intel Core2Duo 2.2Ghz, Intel Pro Wireless N, 512MB GeForce 9700, 64bit Linux Mint 8 and 64bit openSuSE 11.2

  5. #5

    Default Re: Problems with init 5 on new install

    sax2 is in the /usr/sbin directory. If you ran this as root it should have found it. See if the file is there, if not I would say not all files got installed.?

  6. #6

    Default Re: Problems with init 5 on new install

    Quote Originally Posted by barryhenry76 View Post
    I tried:
    Code:
    #startx
    xauth:  creating new authority file /root/.serverauth.4687
    
    X: error while loading shared liraries: libXdmcp.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    giving up.
    xinit:  No such file or directory (errno 2): unable to connect to X server
    xinit:  No such process (errno3): Server error.
    Does this make any sense to anyone?

    I tried #sax2 -r

    it returned "bash: sax2: command not found"
    You should be root to make that command work.

    You can use also the vesa and later configure your graphic card as soon as you get the gui like so:
    sax2 -r -m 0=vesa (0 is zero not o)

  7. #7

    Default Re: Problems with init 5 on new install

    Quote Originally Posted by conram View Post
    You should be root to make that command work.

    You can use also the vesa and later configure your graphic card as soon as you get the gui like so:
    sax2 -r -m 0=vesa (0 is zero not o)
    I am qouting my original post cause it was too late when I notice the pound sign (#) in your command line. It was 10 minutes past and no way to edit.

    Did you type the # sign before sax2 -r or is it resembling your root account.
    sax2 will work only as root but if you are root and it is not working then there might be more problem than just the graphic issue, that you should look into.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Problems with init 5 on new install

    Sorry for the delayed response, to answer your question, to # sign was indicating that I was logged in as the root user. I coudn't get that to work for the life of me. The last time that I reinstalled I had an error, and oldcpu noted to me that I may be having issues with my DVD drive that I'm trying to install from. So I downloaded the network install CD and reinstalled everything again, omitting the need for installation from a CD or DVD, and that seems to fix the problem! I was able to boot initially just perfectly! Thank you guys so much for the help, I guess sometimes you just need a little push in the right direction to learn to think "outside" of the box.

    Thanks Again!

    HP Pavillion DV7-1273cl, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Intel Core2Duo 2.2Ghz, Intel Pro Wireless N, 512MB GeForce 9700, 64bit Linux Mint 8 and 64bit openSuSE 11.2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •