Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Install issue

  1. #1
    cduance NNTP User

    Default Install issue

    I boot up using the network mini cd it gets to step 1\4 installation and then stops which is about half way through the suse boot screen the text is from pressing esc to see where it stopped.

    I cant get it to go any futher

    can anyone help

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Oklahoma, US
    Posts
    822

    Default Re: Install issue

    cduance wrote:

    >
    > I boot up using the network mini cd it gets to step 1\4 installation and
    > then stops which is about half way through the suse boot screen the text
    > is from pressing esc to see where it stopped.
    >
    > I cant get it to go any futher
    >
    > can anyone help
    >
    >


    I noticed that myself.... you might try letting it run longer. it sure
    seemed like my system froze on me when it did that... but if you flip to
    one of the other consoles (ALT-F1,2,3,4,x), you'll see that it's
    compressing the data it just downloaded.

    Seems that the installer downloads a chunk of stuff, then creates a
    compressed 'squashfs', which allows more information to be stored in system
    ram. It does this four times. Watch the hard drive LED if you have one.


    --
    L R Nix
    lornix@lornix.com

  3. #3
    PeeGee NNTP User

    Default Re: Install issue

    L R Nix wrote:
    > cduance wrote:
    >
    >> I boot up using the network mini cd it gets to step 1\4 installation and
    >> then stops which is about half way through the suse boot screen the text
    >> is from pressing esc to see where it stopped.
    >>
    >> I cant get it to go any futher
    >>
    >> can anyone help
    >>
    >>

    >
    > I noticed that myself.... you might try letting it run longer. it sure
    > seemed like my system froze on me when it did that... but if you flip to
    > one of the other consoles (ALT-F1,2,3,4,x), you'll see that it's
    > compressing the data it just downloaded.
    >
    > Seems that the installer downloads a chunk of stuff, then creates a
    > compressed 'squashfs', which allows more information to be stored in system
    > ram. It does this four times. Watch the hard drive LED if you have one.
    >
    >


    I got confused the first time, especially as it ends each line with
    (1k), which I assumed was a size reference and expect a similar length
    delay for each - there seemed to be no disk activity (perhaps the
    "blink" was too short for my failing eyesight :-) ). Perhaps a "rotating
    spoke" would have helped to say "I'm doing something".

    --
    PeeGee

    Asus M2NPV-VM, AMD 64X2 3800+, openSuSE 10.3 x86-64/XP Home dual boot
    Asus M2V-MX SE, AMD LE1640, openSuSE 11.0 x86-64/XP Home dual boot

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Oklahoma, US
    Posts
    822

    Default Re: Install issue

    PeeGee wrote:

    > L R Nix wrote:
    >> cduance wrote:
    >>
    >>> I boot up using the network mini cd it gets to step 1\4 installation and
    >>> then stops which is about half way through the suse boot screen the text
    >>> is from pressing esc to see where it stopped.
    >>>
    >>> I cant get it to go any futher
    >>>
    >>> can anyone help
    >>>
    >>>

    >>
    >> I noticed that myself.... you might try letting it run longer. it sure
    >> seemed like my system froze on me when it did that... but if you flip to
    >> one of the other consoles (ALT-F1,2,3,4,x), you'll see that it's
    >> compressing the data it just downloaded.
    >>
    >> Seems that the installer downloads a chunk of stuff, then creates a
    >> compressed 'squashfs', which allows more information to be stored in
    >> system
    >> ram. It does this four times. Watch the hard drive LED if you have one.
    >>
    >>

    >
    > I got confused the first time, especially as it ends each line with
    > (1k), which I assumed was a size reference and expect a similar length
    > delay for each - there seemed to be no disk activity (perhaps the
    > "blink" was too short for my failing eyesight :-) ). Perhaps a "rotating
    > spoke" would have helped to say "I'm doing something".
    >


    Ya, I agree, some sort of "hey, I'm alive!" indicator would've been nice.
    After installing zillions of systems, you become sensitive to variations in
    timing and things. That one was a new surprise. I tried the other
    consoles and saw it was 'squashing'... so I let it run to see if it would
    continue. it did, eventually. BIG difference between my Athlon X2 and the
    Athlon Semperon. The X2 barely paused there, while the semperon chewed on
    it for a while. The cpu cache made a huge difference in processing
    ability.

    Ah... the days of listening to my computer run with an untuned AM radio...
    Now I need a microwave detector. {Sigh} When are computers going to come
    equipped with popcorn addons? CPU's are running at 2.4GHz now... which is
    what the microwave runs at... (ok, so it's not exactly the same, but
    still!)



    --
    L R Nix
    lornix@lornix.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •