Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why so difficult for drivers?

Default Why so difficult for drivers?

I'm probably going to eat my words but why am I having such a hard time with installing drivers in Linux (in general). My friend is convinced Suse is great but I've had nothing but trouble with every Linux install I've ever done and I've been trying since the days Red Hat was sold in Best Buy back in 1999. I'm sitting here now, frustrated beyond all belief because I have an Intel D201GLY2A (cpu/board combo) that has integrated SiS662 graphics that Suse doesn't like. Now it appears as if Suse can handle video card drivers from Intel, NVidia, and ATI rather well... but why do I have to go through over-writing files in deep directories to get these drivers to work? Is this normal or just because of SiS's incompetence? I find it wrong to ask anybody to have to manually edit the xorg file. Isn't there a program with a nice GUI avail that can make this process less scary? If not, I suggest the community seriously look into building something into the OS to make editing this file safer and easier for those not fortunate to have the "right" video card.
    Shouldn't there be a program that does what Windows' "Update driver" button does in their hardware manager? Just point to the files and boom, it puts em where they need to be. I wouldn't think this would be hard... or does Microsoft have a patent that can't be worked around? lol

Default Re: Why so difficult for drivers?

Wrong section.

-> Soapbox - openSUSE Forums

Ok, to cut through my venting and make it specific;
    How does one get Suse to update driver files by pointing to them? I have updated drivers and everywhere I read it says I need to over-write files and edit an xorg file. Is there, or isn't there a utility in Suse to update driver files, specifically for the SiS662 video?

Unless SiS has provided an installer of their own - the answer is no.

If they had proper Linux support they would have a "repository" where they deposit all their drivers which in return you could simply add and always have the 'latest drivers' automatically installed whenever they're updated.

Good examples of these are the ATI and nVidia repositories which are maintained by the respective companies. Unfortunately you'll have to do it manually, this time.

Thank you for the explination.
    So in other words, like my 1st post; "just because of SiS's incompetence" would be correct.
    Is there a program that edits the xorg file or is it all done manually? Last time I edited it I was propmpted upon reboot to select 2 options, one being a fail-safe and KDE4 never loaded... just stuck me at a prompt.

Quote Originally Posted by JPrevost View Post
    So in other words, like my 1st post; "just because of SiS's incompetence" would be correct.
    Is there a program that edits the xorg file or is it all done manually? Last time I edited it I was propmpted upon reboot to select 2 options, one being a fail-safe and KDE4 never loaded... just stuck me at a prompt.
    You could also splurge and buy yourself a discrete video card from ATI/nVidia...get better performance and better driver support.
    Depending on what your motherboard supports...you can get one really cheap and it will totally blow away your onboard.

Examples found here:
    Newegg.com - $10 - $25, Desktop Graphics / Video Cards, Video Cards & Video Devices

Find me a video card for the D201GLY2A that isn't PCI and I'll buy it

tgraham_afcorp_com NNTP User

Find me a video card for the D201GLY2A that isn't PCI and I'll buy it
    LOL. Well you aren't helping me much...I had to Google your mobo to see what it supports. Looks like only 1 classic PCI slot. So take a peak here:

Pricewatch - PCI

Well I do agree with you on the fact that Linux needs a unified system of installing drivers for different devices to make it easier for new people to get stuff up and running.

Maybe one of these days..

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysantine View Post
    Well I do agree with you on the fact that Linux needs a unified system of installing drivers for different devices to make it easier for new people to get stuff up and running.

Maybe one of these days..
    Sure, a lot can be improved. Though in reality, it's the equipment makers who are lagging here more than Linux. Windows commands the biggest market share so companies put their efforts into having Windows drivers. Linux is sometimes never even considered - no money in it. Luckily, companies like nVidia and ATI take that extra step.

Also, each version of SuSe Linux improves in its ability to handle more hardware. When I ran 10.3, I had to go out and get drivers for the onboard network and sound in order to get them working. This time, everything worked without the need for me to find the drivers, This, at least, is certainly heartening.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast