Firewall blocking me from local network

I have a small home network and for whatever reason openSUSE can’t see any of the other computers.

I tried turning off the firewall and the other computers popped right up in Konquerer.

which services do I have to allow to be able to browse/access these computers so that I can have my firewall up? I see Samba Server, but is this right for just a computer on the network and not a whole server?

If it’s a Samba/windows network you could follow these pics:
Samba and Suse: HowTo Set up an openSUSE-Windows Home Office LAN/Network

Thanks! I’ll give it a try tonight. I figured it was specific ports but had no idea how to get to them.

I can’t thank you enough swerdna… i had the same problem as dragonbite and i found all the settings in almost all tutorials , exept from the last one… many thanks!

No problem – glad it worked.
BTW – read my sig :wink:

i will check it asap :wink:

:o I’m embarrassed to say that after years of trying to get a SOHO network going, your tutorial did it for me late last night.

I am on opensuse 11 and things are a little different than the tutorial, but you don’t have to be a rocket scientist to make the adjustments.

After doing the first pc, the second one was pretty easy just using the yast samba server thing. By that time, I knew what I was doing. Still, I look forward to your opensuse 11 update.

It used to be risky opening the firewall for samba in Yast, but it looks to be fine now in version 11.0. So yes I will adjust the tutorial, hopefully before they release 11.1!