Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OpenSuSE 11 and Xorg update

Default OpenSuSE 11 and Xorg update

Hello, i intalled OpenSuSE 11 on my work station with KDE 4 and superkaramba, till yesturday all worked with no problems, but yesturday updater showed that new updates are available, there whas and Xorg update, i installed all updates. Today i arived to work and booted my work station, ws is very veryyyyyy veeerrryyyy slow, if i scrool webpage in FireFox down, then top shows that Xorg cpu usage come up to 82%. So question is, how to roll back older xorg that whas before update ?

vdohnal NNTP User

Default Re: OpenSuSE 11 and Xorg update

Are you sure it's an Xorg update? Yesterday I made one update from kernel-pae-2.6.25.9 to kernel-pae-2.6.25.11 and now Xorg consumes 20-25% CPU. And everything is very slow.

yes there was and kernel updates.

i downgraded kernet to kernel-pae-2.6.25.9, but problem persist, so i gues ill try to downgrade to default kernel, and then will report result.

the problem is somewhere else, becouse i downgraded kernel to default ant xorg to default, but problem still exist.

Reinstall your nVidia drivers - if you're using nVidia.

I have this problem too, with my intel X3100 graphics card.

If you compiled your own driver, then after a kernel update, it needs to be recompiled. You can also install the OpenSUSE 11.0 Nvidia or ATI drivers and walkthrough the 1-Click Installer. It is very easy to do, because YaST will guide you through it step-by-step. Once you install the driver, reboot. When you log back in, open a terminal window and issue the command su. When prompted, enter your root password. Now that you are logged in as root, issue the command init 3. This will drop you to the CLI (Command Line Interface). Now, enter your username and then your password to login, and then issue the su command again. After entering your root password, enter the command sax2 -r. After Sax2 loads and you configure the settings to your liking, press the OK button and then the Save button in the prompt. Once Sax2 closes, issue the exit command to logout of root (or you will be logged in as root when X-Server loads), and then issue the command startx to start the X-Server. Now the graphic desktop will load and should be back to normal.

Folding@Home
    Help save lives with Folding@Home

I had no kernel update (am using default kernel), but did have an xorg update. Graphics card is Intel GMA 965 X3100 using default supplied drivers. System was slower after update.

same here. i've reformatted like 3 times assuming it was my own screw up, but on the last try, i checked the response before the update, and after the update, and i can pinpoint that the latest update has got to do with the jerkiness of the entire system

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast