Thread: wow kde 4.1 is slow

Default wow kde 4.1 is slow

Just wanted to get out there that I have been using kde 4.1 beta for a while now and wow is it slow to react. When I click on something I wait and wait for it to load. I know its still beta but I really hope they fix this.

Default Re: wow kde 4.1 is slow

I would guess you have an NVidia card?

If so, it's a known issue to do with the closed-source driver released by NVidia. You will find other threads below yours that go through the issue. You will also find links too ; i.e. for the K Desktop Environment - KDE 4.1 RC1 Release Announcement and GPU-Performance in KDE TechBase.

Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

haa ha so its nvidia and not kde. I see.

michaell71 NNTP User

I put up 4.1 RC 1 and setup the settings for a different account, went through things got it the way I liked, and I did not see slowness. But I did notice a consistent 3% for kwin. After using compiz and being used to that I was somewhat disappointed. On a still system not doing anything compiz will take up like .75% . I know its not a ton of difference, but what bothered me most is that when I was on desktop 1, and say kmail was on desktop 2, downloading email, the progress bar bouncing back and forth was eating up 15% of the cpu.

I am sure its probably the design of things, maybe the whole "screen" is split into desktops or whatever. Just seemed extravagant...

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by jaybott View Post
    haa ha so its nvidia and not kde. I see.
    Having a 8600GT, I've found that running

nvidia-settings -a InitialPixmapPlacement=2 -a GlyphCache=1

makes a huge difference for me. The one thing that still annoyed me, scrolling in folder-view is fast now.

While I've been using 4.1 for nearly a month now, and RC1 since it was released, I'm looking forwards to the final release of 4.1. I can't honestly remember the last time I logged into 3.5.9. If someone had told me that I wouldn't feel the need to use 3.5.9 anymore, - a couple of months ago, I would have looked at them rather oddly.

KDE 4 is finally coming of age.

After doing a manual install of the drivers (it was annoying me just a tad too much one mountain dew driven all-nighter) I noticed a drastic increase in performance. The only real issue is starting dolphin and selecting files in Folder View, hopefully MaarteOS' suggestion will remedy that for me.

Edit: Holy XORGS Batman! It worked! It's pretty darn snappy now with my 8400 GS.
    lysdestic@suseforums:~>make install --not-war

Quote Originally Posted by Lysdestic View Post
    After doing a manual install of the drivers (it was annoying me just a tad too much one mountain dew driven all-nighter) I noticed a drastic increase in performance. The only real issue is starting dolphin and selecting files in Folder View, hopefully MaarteOS' suggestion will remedy that for me.

Edit: Holy XORGS Batman! It worked! It's pretty darn snappy now with my 8400 GS.
    Yay Glad that things work for others too It's something you need to run at startup, but it makes things much, much better.

Kay