Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 225

Thread: My nightly prayer

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    North east Ohio
    Posts
    74

    Default My nightly prayer

    Please, Lord, bring back the forum that they stole from us.

  2. #2
    69_rs_ss NNTP User

    Default Re: My nightly prayer

    garyg the first wrote:
    > Please, Lord, bring back the forum that they stole from us.
    >
    >

    And which forum would that be? What is wrong with this one? Wouldn't it
    make more sense to create a thread on the cons that you see it in the
    suggestion section rather then create a thread like that is meant to
    inflame the situation?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    305

    Default Re: My nightly prayer

    garyg the first wrote:

    >
    > Please, Lord, bring back the forum that they stole from us.
    >
    >


    The Lord sayeth, do for thy self.

    You could, by articulating your issues. That might be a starting point.

    Just my 2c...

    KV

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    PHX
    Posts
    481

    Default Re: My nightly prayer

    For a nightly prayer I've heard worse.
    <>---><^>

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    526

    Default Re: My nightly prayer

    Given that this is a consolidation of several older forums, I figured this one would have more activity.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Bowling Green, KY
    Posts
    157

    Default Re: My nightly prayer

    Quote Originally Posted by garyg_the_first View Post
    Please, Lord, bring back the forum that they stole from us.
    You mean the 1/3 of the forums that are here now? Call me crazy, but as these communities merge it is all about the members of these communities bringing fourth their individual characteristics, and making this community into a consolidation of the best of each one of them.

    This forum will be what the individual members and communities make it. It's all in how you look at it.
    lysdestic@suseforums:~>make install --not-war

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NSW, Australia
    Posts
    55

    Default Re: My nightly prayer

    Quote Originally Posted by enderandrew View Post
    Given that this is a consolidation of several older forums, I figured this one would have more activity.
    I for one spend less time here than previously, not because I am less interested in helping others. A sad thing really but I think if I were to attempt to describe it, the main reason is that the forum has become more corporatised and lost some of its soul.

    It appears to me more serious, less tolerant, technically more capable in some ways which is a good thing, but it is more like a typical IT help desk than a community of shared values. This is my POV, yours may differ.

    I am trying to describe rather than criticise. This has just "happened" as a result of the merge, and I'm not sure if anyone can fix it. And I think some of the old animosities re-surfaced as a result and "characters" (ie the soul of the forum) we once knew have left.

    Probably also unfortunate that 11 came out at the same time as the forums merged. New releases appear to stress forums somewhat because lots of new installs going on, disappointed expectations in the face of hype, etc.

    Under the circumstances a lot has been achieved technically, but I'm not convinced this forum has developed a personality yet, nor is it likely to. Still a good place to come for advice, but not for entertainment or to "share the spirit" as previously.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    27,109
    Blog Entries
    40

    Default Re: My nightly prayer

    Quote Originally Posted by watagan View Post
    I for one spend less time here than previously, not because I am less interested in helping others. A sad thing really but I think if I were to attempt to describe it, the main reason is that the forum has become more corporatised and lost some of its soul.
    I understand your point, but I've been trying very hard to achieve the opposite, and comments like that make me worry that I'm wasting my time (at least wasting my time in the view of users like your self. Maybe I should stop now and not bother? ). There are other places I can post. Other things I can do with my time.

    How about going to the general area (or even in this soap box area) and launch some light hearted posts, to help us turn this assessment you have around?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    27,109
    Blog Entries
    40

    Default Re: My nightly prayer

    Quote Originally Posted by enderandrew View Post
    Given that this is a consolidation of several older forums, I figured this one would have more activity.
    Interesting ... I feel totally swamped by the amount of threads on sound.

    Before this I used to very actively post on SLS and SF, helping everyone I could on their sound. I'm seeing way more posts on basic sound problems now, so much I think I will need to take a breather soon, as the constant posts on this very subject are really wearing me down.

    Fortunately, I've seen a bit of a drop off in the past 4 or 5 days, which makes me think the peak from the openSUSE-11.0 release (of many sound problems) is starting to ease up a bit. ... And just in time soon, as I'm close to worn out on this.

    I simply do not recall the same volume of basic sound problem posts on the previous forums. ... (Now some may say this is because 11.0 introduced many new sound problems, but I'm not so sure on that. 10.2 and 10.3 had their own share of unique sound hiccups).

  10. #10
    Jim Henderson NNTP User

    Default Re: My nightly prayer

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 21:56:03 +0000, watagan wrote:

    > This has just "happened"
    > as a result of the merge, and I'm not sure if anyone can fix it.


    The members can. I've been through several forum transitions in my time,
    and there's always a little bit of a bump (to a greater or lesser degree)
    when change happens.

    A community's personality evolves over time, and merging multiple forums
    into one means that there are multiple personalities that eventually will
    meld together to create a new one. But it doesn't happen overnight.
    It's a gradual process.

    > but I'm not
    > convinced this forum has developed a personality yet, nor is it
    > likely to.


    It is only unlikely to if everyone gives up on creating it. I don't
    think that's going to happen.

    My $0.02, for what that's worth.

    Jim

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •