Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm keeping KDE 3.5.9

Default I'm keeping KDE 3.5.9

I installed Fedora 9 today, then uninstalled it after I found out it only has KDE 4, and not KDE 3.5. I can't really put it into words exactly but there are a few things that I don't like about KDE 4. In a nutshell, it's just too different for me. I hope SuSE continues to support KDE 3.5 forever, because I really can't see myself using KDE 4, ever. I'll switch to using Gnome or Fluxbox before I use KDE 4.

Default Re: I'm keeping KDE 3.5.9

KDE 3.5.x will be supported for some time still, but don't forget that KDE 4 as you know it today will be vastly different in the near future. In short....don't write it off just yet.
    <>---><^>

Quote Originally Posted by Cryovac View Post
    KDE 3.5.x will be supported for some time still, but don't forget that KDE 4 as you know it today will be vastly different in the near future. In short....don't write it off just yet.
    Different in what way? Configurable? Reliable? Responsive? Finished? Or different in some other way?

What do you see there in your crystal ball? Your dissonance is not convincing.

Any piece of completely reworked software takes time to come into it's own. This isn't a matter of a Crystal Ball or seeing into the future; it is simply understanding the way that the Open Source Model works. This is still early on in the KDE4 process. As time goes on KDE4 will continue to get better and improve. In the meantime, you can stick to 3, others can use 4, and even more can use Gnome, Vista, Fluxbox, etc.

As a matter of fact, It wasn't too different when KDE2 came around - one could argue this is a matter of knowing how it worked in the past... afterall, our history helps show us our future.

Some people actually find KDE4 to be pretty reliable, for what it is. I'm using it and enjoying it.
    lysdestic@suseforums:~>make install --not-war

I like to mix some KDE 4 apps in with my KDE 3, however I am concerned about the direction of KDE 4. Polish may not address my concerns.

Really? I find myself doing the opposite - mixing KDE3 apps in with KDE4 as the individually developed applications such as Amarok and k3b are not stable enough for me to trust my 30,000+ media collection, or a black DVD with.

There is an Amarok 2.0 alpha, which uses a new database backend. You can install it side-by-side with your current Amarok, and keep two different collections. It is safe.

As for k3b, there is no alpha or any version of a KDE 4 port at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by enderandrew View Post
    There is an Amarok 2.0 alpha, which uses a new database backend. You can install it side-by-side with your current Amarok, and keep two different collections. It is safe.
    Yeah, I've used it on my laptop where I only keep a second copy of my TOOL collection, but even still I can't dig the look of it just yet. I don't like keeping multiple copies of a collection or a single song even on my Media hard drive, so I didn't bother using on there, as I had already tried it on the laptop.

As for k3b, there is no alpha or any version of a KDE 4 port at this point.

Are you sure about that? I do have two versions on here, one is marked as k3b/KDE3, in the about menu it shows version 1.0.5 using KDE 3.5.9 while the other shows version 1.95-svn using KDE 4.0.99 (KDE4 RC1+). I think I got it from one of the extra factory repos I added (Extra apps maybe?)

It must be something someone pulled from SVN, but I was just checking on it the other day, and there is no official alpha release yet.

K3b News - K3b

I shouldn't have flamed KDE4 like that. It did crash on me though. I'll just file a bug report.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast