Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: SUSE Newbie Question - Booting issues

  1. #1

    Wink SUSE Newbie Question - Booting issues

    Greetings Fellow SUSE users!

    Just installed SUSE11.0 on my home PC. So far all seems
    great and well except for one little twist.

    My configuration: Drive A has everything except /home
    Drive B has only /home.

    When I boot my system, I get a prompt like this:

    F1: ??
    F2: Linux
    F3: Drive 1

    To my knowledge, no other OS's installed on these drives.
    I deleted all the partitions etc.,

    How do I get rid of this? I want it to boot into Linux
    automatically. Is this anything to do with MBR?

    Any help is appreciated.

    Thanks.

    Akshari

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    East of Podunk
    Posts
    32,908
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: SUSE Newbie Question - Booting issues

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 01:46:04 GMT
    ashari5 <ashari5@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

    >
    > Greetings Fellow SUSE users!
    >
    > Just installed SUSE11.0 on my home PC. So far all seems
    > great and well except for one little twist.
    >
    > My configuration: Drive A has everything except /home
    > Drive B has only /home.
    >
    > When I boot my system, I get a prompt like this:
    >
    > F1: ??
    > F2: Linux
    > F3: Drive 1
    >
    > To my knowledge, no other OS's installed on these drives.
    > I deleted all the partitions etc.,
    >
    > How do I get rid of this? I want it to boot into Linux
    > automatically. Is this anything to do with MBR?
    >
    > Any help is appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Akshari
    >
    >

    Hi
    That looks like a BIOS menu selection, check your system BIOS to boot
    from the drive with linux.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLED 10 SP2 i586 Kernel 2.6.16.60-0.25-default
    up 2:55, 1 user, load average: 0.35, 0.30, 0.46
    GPU GeForce Go 6600 TE/6200 TE Version: 173.14.09


  3. #3

    Default Re: SUSE Newbie Question - Booting issues

    Malcolm,

    Thanks for your response.

    I verified the BIOS settings: set to boot from drive A and then drive B.
    Played with a couple of different options in the boot loader screen.
    None of them fixed the issue.

    It is a minor annoyance - since I have to wait for 10 secs before LINUX
    starts loading. But I can live with it. If I have to re-install the OS, I will
    wipe the drive clean and start all over again.

    Again, thanks for your time.

    Akshari
    .

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    East of Podunk
    Posts
    32,908
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: SUSE Newbie Question - Booting issues

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 11:26:05 GMT
    ashari5 <ashari5@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

    >
    > Malcolm,
    >
    > Thanks for your response.
    >
    > I verified the BIOS settings: set to boot from drive A and then drive
    > B.
    > Played with a couple of different options in the boot loader screen.
    > None of them fixed the issue.
    >
    > It is a minor annoyance - since I have to wait for 10 secs before
    > LINUX starts loading. But I can live with it. If I have to
    > re-install the OS, I will
    > wipe the drive clean and start all over again.
    >
    > Again, thanks for your time.
    >
    > Akshari

    Hi
    OK, so if you go into YaST->System->Boot Loader

    In here, you can set the default and also set the time (in seconds) to
    wait at the screen. You can also set it to hidden if you go to the Boot
    Loader Installation Tab and select the Boot Loader Options button and
    set the check box.

    If you want to edit via the CLI it's the /boot/grub/menu.lst (thats a
    lowercase L in lst), just make a backup first ;-)

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLED 10 SP2 i586 Kernel 2.6.16.60-0.25-default
    up 0:44, 1 user, load average: 0.04, 0.19, 0.29
    GPU GeForce Go 6600 TE/6200 TE Version: 173.14.09


  5. #5

    Default Re: SUSE Newbie Question - Booting issues

    Malcolm,

    Thanks again for the reply.

    Does the delay timer value controls the duration for displaying the boot choices
    (as in menu.lst)? Or is it for not displaying the F1?/F2:LINUX/F3rive 1?
    Also if I choose the hide option, will I be presented with a list of choices or not
    (from menu.lst)?

    Thanks for your patience.

    Akshari

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    East of Podunk
    Posts
    32,908
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: SUSE Newbie Question - Booting issues

    On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 00:06:03 GMT
    ashari5 <ashari5@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

    >
    > Malcolm,
    >
    > Thanks again for the reply.
    >
    > Does the delay timer value controls the duration for displaying the
    > boot choices
    > (as in menu.lst)? Or is it for not displaying the
    > F1?/F2:LINUX/F3rive 1?
    > Also if I choose the hide option, will I be presented with a list of
    > choices or not
    > (from menu.lst)?
    >
    > Thanks for your patience.
    >
    > Akshari
    >
    >

    Hi
    Yes, the delay is for how long the 'GRUB' bootloader menu waits until
    it automatically boots the 'default' selection.

    Now if it's hidden it will display a 'press the esc key' to see the
    menu, else it will boot the 'default' selection after a short delay.

    Anyway, you can always change this option back once the system boots up.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLED 10 SP2 i586 Kernel 2.6.16.60-0.25-default
    up 13:05, 2 users, load average: 2.18, 1.02, 0.81
    GPU GeForce Go 6600 TE/6200 TE Version: 173.14.09


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •