Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad sound quality on Acer 5315 OS11

Default Bad sound quality on Acer 5315 OS11

Hi, I recently discovered that on my laptop with OS 11 installed I have very poor sound quality.
    The sound is relatively quiet, with volume level on maximum I hear a noise from speakers...additionaly mplayer can play sound but Kaffeine and Xine not.
    I hadnt such problems on 10.3

Is it possible that these are problems with Pulse Audio?
    How to revert than to older sound system known from 10.3?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Bad sound quality on Acer 5315 OS11

Quote Originally Posted by Beyo View Post
    Hi, I recently discovered that on my laptop with OS 11 installed I have very poor sound quality.
    The sound is relatively quiet, with volume level on maximum I hear a noise from speakers...additionaly mplayer can play sound but Kaffeine and Xine not.
    I hadnt such problems on 10.3

Is it possible that these are problems with Pulse Audio?
    How to revert than to older sound system known from 10.3?
    With volume on Maximum one always hears noise from speakers. One is driving the speakers into a distortion area.

Check both your master and PCM volume controls to ensure they are up. Note PCM can be lowered without you doing anything by the launching of another multimedia app.

If that doesn't seem to help, then please copy and paste the following into a konsole:
    amixer scontents > mixer-settings.txt
    and then open the file "mixer-settings.txt" and copy and paste it to general pastebin - simplified internet collaboration and post the URL here so we can see your mixer settings.

Unhappy Re: Bad sound quality on Acer 5315 OS11

My log is at general pastebin - Something - post number 1085348

It looks for me like pulseaudio problems.I often see messages dsp device busy and only mplayer seems now to play sound but very quiet. Xine and kaffeine dont. ((

Maybe I will try to revert to esound?

Compeltely remove the gstream engine and install xine engine.That was what causing my bad sound quality
    "Keyboard not found. Press any key to continue"

Blog Entries

...additionaly mplayer can play sound but Kaffeine and Xine not.
    Note kaffeine uses the xine sound engine, and the xine that comes from Novell/SuSE-GmbH is crippled for proprietary sound codecs. You need to update your software package management repositories per this URL: Repositories/11.0 - openSUSE-Community
    adding NON-OSS, OSS, Update and Packman (only for now, ... until you become more experienced).

Then install the libxine1, xine-ui, w32codec-all, xvid, mad and kaffeine as packaged by Packman. Since you had installed mplayer and were a 10.3 user I had originally assumed that you already knew that you needed to do that, but I am now having doubts about that familiarity.

My log is at general pastebin - Something - post number 1085348I often see messages dsp device busy and only mplayer seems now to play sound but very quiet. Xine and kaffeine dont. ((
    Try setting the output sound module for xine to alsa.

Also, go to YaST > Hardware > Sound > Options > Volume and if the master and PCM volume there is very low (or too high), move it to between 60% and 70%. Also note that the audio control in VLC (if you use that app) is very prone to causing bad sound quality, and must be kept at a low level (using instead your mixer Master and PCM volume controls to control the volume).

I had something similar with my HP pavillion laptop.
    Sound is clear if not quiet and every so often there is a distorted pop especially when closing apps.

Im currently looking for sound drivers but as with most laptops the sound card is built in so it may prove difficult.

Have you checked what drivers your sound card is running on and if they have any updates?
    YaST install HELP!!!

Hmm..strange enough after removing pulseaudio and back to esound, and removing xine and kaffeine now I see that my PCM volume switch on KMixer doesnt work.
    Moving PCM result in no change in sound's volume..

Reinstalling xine and kaffeine from Pacman repository didn't help much
    I will risk system update..maybe this fix..

I uptated system without X crash..what a surprise
    But sound no change...

Nobody solved the problem?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast